notorization for children travelling without parents

paradise

Oct 18, 2004
Hi,
I'll call the consulate tomorrow, but after my last experience a few months ago (before the rules changed) was such a frustrating experience (the answer was different depending who I talked to), I am hoping some DR1 might know from experience.
I am travelling with my 13 year old niece. The rules have change now you need the notorization under 18 yrs. old. When I called the consulate a few months ago they told me if I need a notarization, the parent of the child would have to come in person to the consulate. I was later told since she was 13, we didn't need one. But now the rules have changed- Does anyone know does this have to be in person? I saw it on the UK and Canadian DR consulate web sites, you can mail it in and have it "legalized" at the consulate for $75. They did not tell me this option when I called the consulate in New York, they said she had to go in person, but then I got a slighty different story depending on who I talked to.
Has anyone had to do this before?
Thanks

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
paradise said:
Hi,
I'll call the consulate tomorrow, but after my last experience a few months ago (before the rules changed) was such a frustrating experience (the answer was different depending who I talked to), I am hoping some DR1 might know from experience.
I am travelling with my 13 year old niece. The rules have change now you need the notorization under 18 yrs. old. When I called the consulate a few months ago they told me if I need a notarization, the parent of the child would have to come in person to the consulate. I was later told since she was 13, we didn't need one. But now the rules have changed- Does anyone know does this have to be in person? I saw it on the UK and Canadian DR consulate web sites, you can mail it in and have it "legalized" at the consulate for $75. They did not tell me this option when I called the consulate in New York, they said she had to go in person, but then I got a slighty different story depending on who I talked to.
Has anyone had to do this before?
Thanks

I once traveled to puerto plata from toronto 6 months ago. I flew with airtransat, when I got to my seat(business class) The flight attendant sat a 8 year old dominican boy next to me. He was travelling alone(un-accompanied minor) to visit his grandparents. His mother had brought him to the aiport handed him to airline reps. He was wearing a large tag on his neck. I dont see you having problems. Perhaps the travel agent can tell you more. Or maybe your nieces parents can bring you guys to the airport.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I sent my daughters to the DR with their grandmother this past summer. I took them to JFK with a notorized letter, a copy of their birth certificate, and their passport. The notorized letter stated that their mother and I allowed her to take them out of the country. I thought I would get hasseled at the airport but never was. I don't even think they looked at the birth certificate or notorized letter. This may have been because I spoke to DELTA when booking airline tickets. I then picked my daughters up in the DR and we flew back together. Absolutely no problems.

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
I travelled with my 11 year old brother in August. The consulate told me I needed a notorized letter from my parents and signed by a lawyer, and then authorized by the dominican consulate. This whole process was going to cost me $100.00 US. I just got a lawyer and my parents to sign a letter of authorization for me travel with my brother. As it turned out NO one asked to see this document. But Iguess it is better to be safe then sorry.

paradise

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks for your responses. In case someone needs the info, the official reponse is you need the DR consulate's official authorization for children travelling with one or no parents. It recently changed from children under 13 to all under 18 years old.

You have to send $75, copies of parent's ID, child's ID, 2 passport-size photos and a notarized letter in Spanish from the parents who will not be travelling with the chld. They said they send you back the authorization within 48 hours.
I will go through the hassle and cost the first time. If they don't look at it (they never did when we were in Jamaica or Mexico), next time, I'll just bring a notarized letter. Better to pay now than have to bribe my way out of the airport.

For most countries, all you need is a notarized letter from the missing parents. I wonder why DR is so different from its neighbors.

So many kids don't travel with both natural parents, it seems like it would limit tourism.

nat2jr

Jul 9, 2004
Sorry this is kind of late information for you, but I just send my kids to DR last summer 2004 and I just went to the dominican consulate with $50.00 dollars, passport pictures of my kids and Name, address and passport number of the person traveling with my kids. Believe me, My sister-in-law said it's just in and out of the airport with this letter. plus The consulate provides the letter themselves. Hope this helps.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My 11 year old lives with me here and visits home twice a year, and since he and I have different last names I have to jump through a completely different, completely frustrating set of hoops every time he travels.

I wish they would just apply the runaway law to people that traffic in children and other things that make this such a big deal and leave the rest of us alone.