Road Conditions, washed out bridges, etc.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Traveling around the Island without an SUV is always a gamble. My dominican relatives are always cautioning me about driving, but they're the first to jump into the car for a road trip and send me into the countryside on a mission to rip the bottom out of my poor little Corrolla. The road maps are little help except for a couple of highways, the other roads no matter how they look on the map may be rough. The first sign that there is trouble ahead, is when you start to notice that your the only little car on the road, the trucks and the motorcycles are using the road, and the locals look at you strangely as you pass by. The pavement turns to dirt, the rocks in the road start to look like boulders, and the potholes are getting bigger. Your dominican friends and relatives keep telling you, it gets better ahead just keep going. But I do have a specific question: Does anybody know the condition of the road from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza (41)? My instincts tell me to forget it with my little toyota and a carload of relatives.

Are there other road condition threads?

My report:
Route 21 from Sabaneta de Yasica to La Vega: took this route to "save some time" coming back from the north shore. Roads were passable, but very mountainous and slow going, had to negotiate a couple of dirt patches along the way but nothing too bad, all in all a very scenic route.

Route 132 from San Francisco de Macoris to Moca: Careful, lots of rocks and holes, looks good on the map but the road shook a front tire loose and we had to replace some bolts by the time we got to Tanares. After Moca the road to Santiago (route14) was fine.

I'd love to see more reports so I can mark up my road map with accurate info.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rt. 41

The road from San Jose to Constanza is for SUV, and four-wheeling only.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a post

about that road by this couple that travelled from Saman? to Alto Bandera and Sabana Quelliz.

I'll see if I can find it. Back in a moment.

HB :D:D

Here it is: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37075

And FYI: I travelled the Luperon Tourist Highway twoce yesterday. The holes are mostly missable and the major washouts are clearly visible. What is so freaking scary is that one day...It is all going down the hil!! Absolutely..l say this after observing the cracks in the road for nearly 10 years, since its reconstruction. there is one spot that has moved down about 1/2 a meter and sideways by over a meter!!

There are other spots where the drop is major and worstening...

Last edited:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks PJT, I'll hold off on the trip to Constanza.
Thanks Hillbilly, nice link, and I'll mark up my map with your info.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Hi Naufrago,
I see you stopped in Tenares to have car fixed. We have house on outskirts of Tenares. About 4 miles on road leading to Gasper Hernandez. We are right here in US right now but plan on being back within next 6 months. I do want to say I think it is great that you always have positve attitude in your posts about living there. Don't lose that!!!! Kathy ;)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks Kathy, I really liked the area around Tenares, and the people seemed very open and friendly.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Wanted to take one more daytrip before the vacation is over and wanted to drive to Punta Cana from SD. Can Anybody give tell how the roads are now?
About how long should it take? Any ideas for a not too expensive hotel, in case we end up spending the night? Thanks.