High school English teacher needed

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Know of a job teaching upper level English from 7th to 12th grade from 7:30-12:30 daily for about $18,000 per month. Anyone interested please send me their CV so I can pass it on to the school. Position available immediately. Email to dolores@dr1.com

bags-to-beaches

Jan 8, 2005
No Degree/But ESL

Dolores said:
Know of a job teaching upper level English from 7th to 12th grade from 7:30-12:30 daily for about $18,000 per month. Anyone interested please send me their CV so I can pass it on to the school. Position available immediately. Email to dolores@dr1.com
Hi, this is my first posting to this site. Dolores, I don't have a degree to teach English but my husband and I are taking the ESL/EFL courses. Do you have any information you might be able to provide us. We are Canadians and are in the process of planning a move (hopefully to the Las Terrenas area). Any info you can provide us would be great (my employment history is actually in the legal field - have taught Business English and my husband's expertise is sales/marketing/managing. We are really serious - hope this isn't a pipe dream!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Don't want to rain on your parade, bags-to-beaches, but if the position is available immediately, then the employer probably needs someone who is already here in DR. That's not a bad salary, either, so it'll most likely go fairly quickly.

bags-to-beaches

Jan 8, 2005
Lambada said:
Don't want to rain on your parade, bags-to-beaches, but if the position is available immediately, then the employer probably needs someone who is already here in DR. That's not a bad salary, either, so it'll most likely go fairly quickly.
I definitely realize that is the probability. Just wondering if you might be able to tell me if this type of position would require a "teaching degree" or if these types of positions are available with "English as a Second Language" training. I am really trying to feel out the market for ESL before we make the move, or as you indicate, do you feel that the jobs will be available upon arrival. Just seeking more info if you wish to provide details/connections. Thanks!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
$18,000 per month?????????????

Dolores said:

Just a correction, You mean $18,000 RD (pesos) Right?. Some people might think of $18,000 dollars. I mean no job pays that amount of $$$ in the DR in one month.

Last edited:

travelling

Feb 20, 2003
Hmmmm

I am going to assume that the salary mentioned above is 18,000 RD!
THINK where we are, people!
BTW, where is this position needing to be filled- this is a large country!

Last edited:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
More info please, Dolores!

Dolores said:

Just like "bags-to-beaches", I am also curious to learn what qualifications a job like that would require?

1) Would it be teaching British English (BE) or American English (AE)? The reason for my question is that in Sweden, it would certainly be BE. Meaning a native speaker of AE might find it difficult to teach the correct curriculum.

2) Does the applicant have to be native speaker of English? Also, see above.

3) Does the job require a formal degree in pedagogics and the teaching of English? (Again, I am comparing to Sweden, where you need a Bachelors degree for a job like this.)

4) How much Spanish does the applicant need to know? Be fluent?

PS. Incidentally, same job in Sweden, with qualifications as above, would pay something like 90,000 pesos... So 18,000 does not give me goosebumps.

Last edited: