Sosua vs John Philip Sousa

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
http://www.hispaniola.com/DR/Guides/Sosua/

This link will bring you to the village of SOSUA, Dominican Republic.

http://www.dws.org/sousa/

Now this is the link to John Philip SOUSA

Also, the Dominican Republic is called the Dominican Republic and not the "Dominican" or "Santo Domingo".

Dominica is a small island in eastern Caribbean and Santo Domingo is the Capital of the Dominican Republic.

Dominican is the nationality of the people living in the Dominican Republic.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For the record DominicanScotty (joking!!!).

OK, am I missing something here?

Did ricktoronto abdicate his position of Protector of the Realm?

Is there a nefarious scheme in place to infect us all with a stupid gene?

I suspect that those of us who care, already know this and the rest either don't care or can't be bothered to check the details anyway.

For the one in a million that this will stick on, we thank you.

Gregg

P.S. - I know, it's one of those things that builds up and then at some point, just has to be scratched.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Yes at one point what we know as The Dominican republic was once known as *SANTO DOMINGO DE GUZMAN* (SPANISH SIDE) and Haiti was once known as Saint Domingue(FRENCH SIDE).

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
bob saunders said:
Is it not true that the whole island was called Santo Domingo at one time, as well as Hispaniola.

That is true...thanks to the Padre Pablo Duarte, it is now called la Republica Dominicana

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Back when I taught adults advanced writing in English in Santo Domingo, we always had a segment on compare/contrast writing. The standard exercise for what we learned in this segment was "compare/contrast two countries." Inevitably most of the class would write essays comparing "New York and Santo Domingo," "The United States and Santo Domingo" or "New York and the Dominican Republic."

I would have to explain that, regards of the name's history, "Santo Domingo" in modern times refers to only the capital city, and that most Dominicans living in Santiago, Puerto Plata, Samana, La Romana, Azua, Barahona or San Francisco de Macoris do not consider themselves part of "Santo Domingo"! Likewise, I explained, "New York" refers to only the city or state (most didn't even know there was state with the name), and not the entire U.S.!

Even so, those same students, even though they said that they "got it," would later ask me when was I going to visit my family in "New York," even though I had brought them pictures and explained about West Virginia and Ohio and how different and distant they were from New York City.... :tired:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Malibook said:
I used to always call it the Dominican Republic but after seeing how bent out of shape it makes some people, now I sometimes call it the Dominican.

LOL...yeahhhhh you are sharp, but you got the point didn't you?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Keith R said:
Back when I taught adults advanced writing in English in Santo Domingo, we always had a segment on compare/contrast writing. The standard exercise for what we learned in this segment was "compare/contrast two countries." Inevitably most of the class would write essays comparing "New York and Santo Domingo," "The United States and Santo Domingo" or "New York and the Dominican Republic."

I would have to explain that, regards of the name's history, "Santo Domingo" in modern times refers to only the capital city, and that most Dominicans living in Santiago, Puerto Plata, Samana, La Romana, Azua, Barahona or San Francisco de Macoris do not consider themselves part of "Santo Domingo"! Likewise, I explained, "New York" refers to only the city or state (most didn't even know there was state with the name), and not the entire U.S.!

Even so, those same students, even though they said that they "got it," would later ask me when was I going to visit my family in "New York," even though I had brought them pictures and explained about West Virginia and Ohio and how different and distant they were from New York City.... :tired:

Very good! I wonder how people get to Sousa? Where is Sousa anyway?

Thanks

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Malibook said:
I used to always call it the Dominican Republic but after seeing how bent out of shape it makes some people, now I sometimes call it the Dominican.

Some cal it The Dominican. As short form for the dominican republic. Many countries carry republic but sometimes drop that name.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In many countries, people still call the DR Santo Domingo. I know Cubans usually do, because that's how the island used to be known and I've even seen some Dominicans do the same. Well, habits die hard. In Spain, many also call the island Santo Domingo. Many people call it by both names. When speaking or writing in a formal way, everyone says Republica Dominicana, when talking among friends, many say Santo Domingo, meaning the whole country. Of course, then it can be confusing because it is the capital that is called Santo Domingo and the country is the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, where the country name is a noun it makes sense to drop the part that says "Republic of...". In the case of the Czech, C. African and Dominican Republics, the country name is an adjective. You cannot call something an adjective, it has to be a noun.

Notice how 'Republica Peruana' becomes 'Peru'. Unfortunately for us, Dominica is already taken, so we're left with the mouthful that is the Dominican Republic.

The only exception I can think of is Republica Argentina, which is supposed to be 'the Argentine' in English, but not many people call it that these days.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Where is Sousa

You find a cab driver who knows where the cemetery is. He's buried in the Congressional Cemetery in Washington DC :dead: in the American ;)
DominicanScotty said:
Very good! I wonder how people get to Sousa? Where is Sousa anyway?

Thanks

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Celt202 said:
You find a cab driver who knows where the cemetery is. He's buried in the Congressional Cemetery in Washington DC :dead: in the American ;)

Don't you mean the United? ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
not to mention Sosa

Chirimoya said:
Don't you mean the United? ;)

Touch?. That raises an issue like the "Dominica Dilemna". :cross-eye If I say the United I think of a metric footbal team in Manchester.