No More Pedro

yankee

Nov 24, 2004
Know What All The Dominicans Baseball Fans Jump On The Metsband Wagan. Anyway I Am Glad To See Him Leave The Red Sox I Am A Yankee Fan.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am not happy to see him go. As a Yankee fan, I feel he and his head hunting ways were a big part of the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry. I really enjoyed watching the Yanks play against Pedro.

Larry

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
As a Yankee fan, we'll miss Pedro. He certainly spiced up the rivalry.

Schilling is talented, but he's not Pedro. Schilling's success has only come as a sidekick to someone else, Randy Johnson then Pedro. He's never successfully anchored down a staff. Pedro, on the other hand, has done it everywhere.

Even though I'm not a fan, the Yankees/BoSux rivalry needed Pedro, something Theo Epstein couldn't see.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
toneloc24 said:
As a Yankee fan, we'll miss Pedro. He certainly spiced up the rivalry.

Schilling is talented, but he's not Pedro. Schilling's success has only come as a sidekick to someone else, Randy Johnson then Pedro. He's never successfully anchored down a staff. Pedro, on the other hand, has done it everywhere.

Even though I'm not a fan, the Yankees/BoSux rivalry needed Pedro, something Theo Epstein couldn't see.

Theo Epstien dosen't care so much about the rivalry as he does about winning. Now that he has a winning team, he wants to build a dynasty. Signing Varitek was much more important than signing Pedro. They offered Pedro what they though he was worth. Pedro took a better offer. Baseball is a buisness nowadays, plain and simple. There is no loyalty on either side anymore.

Larry

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Larry said:
Theo Epstien dosen't care so much about the rivalry as he does about winning. Now that he has a winning team, he wants to build a dynasty. Signing Varitek was much more important than signing Pedro. They offered Pedro what they though he was worth. Pedro took a better offer. Baseball is a buisness nowadays, plain and simple. There is no loyalty on either side anymore.
Larry

If he cared about winning, he'd have kept both Varitek & Pedro. Lowe is debatable, but Epstein burned that bridge. The lovefest with Epstein will wear off by summer, when people see how mediocre the pitching staff is. I can guarantee the Yankees will never let what happened last year with their pitching staff happen again.

Matt Clement/David Wells/Wade Miller => Pedro Martinez????

Meanwhile, your sworn rival gets Randy Johnson/Carl Pavano/Jared Wright.

Let's not even talk money, just talent. Pedro should be in Boston to battle the Yankees, at the least. The Yankees had their latest WS run by keeping the core talent, and adding pieces.

You don't lose a pitching ace for 2 largely unknowns, and a talented pitcher with a very bad back, whose weight problems will make it worse.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I do think signing Wells is a mistake. I do not know what went on behind the scenes with Pedro. Obviously, the Sox would be a better team with him.

I don't see how the Sox could get rid of Epstein anytime soon. He brought them their first title in 86 years. Dumping crybaby Nomar midseason like he did was ballsy and brilliant.

Yanks have really improved their pitching staff.

Larry

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Larry said:
I do think signing Wells is a mistake. I do not know what went on behind the scenes with Pedro. Obviously, the Sox would be a better team with him.

I don't see how the Sox could get rid of Epstein anytime soon. He brought them their first title in 86 years. Dumping crybaby Nomar midseason like he did was ballsy and brilliant.

Yanks have really improved their pitching staff.
Larry

Behind the scenes??? Pedro was/is your ace in Boston. Treat him with respect, regardless. If he still decides to leave, then you can turn to Manny & Ortiz and say "we did our best to keep him." They could've afforded him easily.

Before there was a Schilling, there was Pedro with that pitching staff on his back. Schilling was a piece to ease some of the weight off of Pedro. Pedro had an off-year (for him), and how soon they forget?

How badly did the Yankees need either Roger Clemens or Andy Pettite last year? The Red Sox will suffer the same fate, in this instance self-imposed. Theo Epstein will learn how quickly people forget your success.

By the way, Clemens un-retires, switches to the NL, and only wins another Cy Young. Guess he wasn't that washed-up. Neither is Pedro, as I recall him hitting 96 mph several times in game 7 against the Yankees.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Behind the scenes???

Yes, behind the scenes. As a fan, I am only privy to so much. Apparently Pedro was a malcontent. He would come to practice late, etc. He wanted special treatment. This is what the media reported. Like I said, behind the scenes. As a fan, I get ALL my info through media. I do not know what goes on behind the scenes.

You are also assuming Pedro WANTED to stay in Boston. I read one newspaper article that clamied Pedro wanted out of Boston because he couldn't stand the fact that Schilling was the ace of the staff instead of him. I read another article that claimed that Scilling and Pedro just did not get along. Unless you are directly affiliated with the Red Sox organization and have inside information, you do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Our thoughts on the cause of his departure are merely speculatory.

Larry

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
As a Yankee fan....

...the BoSox WILL regret letting him get away.

All star athletes get favorable treatment, every single one, esp. if they're performing effectively and producing. SF would never let Barry Bonds go, regardless of the enormous size of his ego. If Manny is offering to restructure his contract to keep Pedro, apparently someone very significant to the BoSox wanted him IN Boston as well, and recognize his value to the club.

I understand that Pedro didn't want to be treated second fiddle to Schilling, and rightfully so. Match their careers up side by side, accomplishment by accomplishment, Pedro wins easily, AND he's younger than Schilling.

You will struggle to get the 16-9 record with a low ERA that Pedro posted last year, from the 3 people combined that they signed to replace him.

If the team didn't get along with Pedro, that's one thing. If management doesn't, that's irrelevant, as that relationship does not affect what occurs on the field. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

As a Yankee fan, I thank the BoSux for reverting back to being the BoSox. By the way, Manny's next on the way out.

Larry said:
Yes, behind the scenes. As a fan, I am only privy to so much. Apparently Pedro was a malcontent. He would come to practice late, etc. He wanted special treatment. This is what the media reported. Like I said, behind the scenes. As a fan, I get ALL my info through media. I do not know what goes on behind the scenes.

You are also assuming Pedro WANTED to stay in Boston. I read one newspaper article that clamied Pedro wanted out of Boston because he couldn't stand the fact that Schilling was the ace of the staff instead of him. I read another article that claimed that Scilling and Pedro just did not get along. Unless you are directly affiliated with the Red Sox organization and have inside information, you do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Our thoughts on the cause of his departure are merely speculatory.

Larry

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I could easily say that I'm or was one of Pedro's biggest fans. However, he is one of the biggest babies in the game. What is this crap about show him respect all about? How much respect does he deserve? Can't anyone see the truth. Were not the speculations that he wanted three years and at the end did the Red Sox not come through? Give me a break! Come on guys, forget the fact that he is Dominican and see the truth and realize that once your a lambon you'll always be a lambon and that's what Pedro is. He can say whatever he wants but it was about the money and everyone knows it. And I'll be one to say it that it's as clear as water that he does not have the stuff that he used to....it's a fact plain and simple. I remember my dad saying that he used to be Pedro but that now he is Pedrito. So, let's stop sticking up for him as if he sending someone of you guys a check every month.

My two cents...oh, and just in case know that I am a Dominican but I tell it like it is.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
C'mon Larry, don't fall for the JV Coach

Larry said:

Yanks have really improved their pitching staff. Larry
Tonedeaf24 is a manure spreader of biblical sporting proportions. Don't fall for it.

The only fool bigger than the know-it-all is the fool that argues with him.

Schilling was Pedro's sidekick eh? You maroon!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:
Tonedeaf24 is a manure spreader of biblical sporting proportions. Don't fall for it.

The only fool bigger than the know-it-all is the fool that argues with him.

Schilling was Pedro's sidekick eh? You maroon!

Knew I'd draw Cleef out. And you know I'm not a Pedro fan.

So now, Pedro's a baby??? Why again is he being disrespected? You guys forget so quickly. Just in the prior postseason, with NO support, who got the BoSox to Game 7 versus the Yankees? Who tried to pitch, even when he had nothing left, at the most critical stage of that postseason? And he's a baby?

I'm not gonna argue anymore for Pedro. He is 5 years younger than Schilling. He has more Cy Young awards. His stats in Boston should be respected, much more so than Johnny-Come-Schilling.

When Schilling was the "ace" of his own staffs, in Philly and in Baltimore, what exactly did he do? He had 1 good season. Then in Arizona, as the #2 starter to Randy Johnson, he put up numbers. Same in Boston. I wish I could be making this stuff up. Here's the side-by-side.

Here's Schilling's stats: http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/4267
Here's Pedro's: http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/4875

Man to man, Pedro kills him. So again, why is Pedro being so disrespected? Behind the scenes, my ***. Boston's honeymoon will wear off around the end of May.

BTW, what exactly is a "maroon"?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
All I know is when there was first talk of the Mets being interested, everybody thought he would NEVER go to the Mets. . . . .except me. . .LOL.

I posted a BUNCH of reasons that would make Pedro consider the Mets. NUmber one was his pride. At his press conference he used the word respect and awful lot.

Now I say the Met's have a better chance of signing Beltran than the yankees.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Pedro has paid his dues and served his time with boston and now has to move on like any other athlete.

MissingBoca

Dec 30, 2004
toneloc24 said:
Knew I'd draw Cleef out. And you know I'm not a Pedro fan.

So now, Pedro's a baby??? Why again is he being disrespected? You guys forget so quickly. Just in the prior postseason, with NO support, who got the BoSox to Game 7 versus the Yankees? Who tried to pitch, even when he had nothing left, at the most critical stage of that postseason? And he's a baby?

I'm not gonna argue anymore for Pedro. He is 5 years younger than Schilling. He has more Cy Young awards. His stats in Boston should be respected, much more so than Johnny-Come-Schilling.

When Schilling was the "ace" of his own staffs, in Philly and in Baltimore, what exactly did he do? He had 1 good season. Then in Arizona, as the #2 starter to Randy Johnson, he put up numbers. Same in Boston. I wish I could be making this stuff up. Here's the side-by-side.

Here's Schilling's stats: http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/4267
Here's Pedro's: http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/4875

Man to man, Pedro kills him. So again, why is Pedro being so disrespected? Behind the scenes, my ***. Boston's honeymoon will wear off around the end of May.

BTW, what exactly is a "maroon"?

Pedro was with Sox for how many years and won how many WS?

And then along came Curt

Schilling is a fighter, scrapper and a winner. the team and people admire his dedication and willingness to sacrifice, not his complaining of no respect

Pedro was replaced by a better man and couldn't handle it. If Pedro got the sniffles he had to be pulled, Curt played with his ankle hanging out

Don't bother with stats, the only stat I am interested in is Schilling came, saw and conquered ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Pedro goes for the gold

The Red Sox willingly let Pedro slip away. Theo Epstein proved he's a risk taker by trading Nomah and coming out the better for it. The Red Sox obviously thought Pedro's best years are behind him and that he doesn't have four good years left in him. If they are wrong as they were with Clemens they will regret it. If they are right then watch what happens to Pedro. He had a great store of good will in Boston with the fans and the press. If he fails the New York press and fans will eat him alive. I think Pedro's skills are declining but his determination and pride are as strong as ever.

Gee

Jan 5, 2005
He needed a change and as a Dodger fan, I am looking forward to seeing him against us.

He also needed to switch to the NL for the sake of his shoulder because he will not face a DH.

Hello,
I am currently a Master's student in the process of writing my thesis. My degree hinges on the completion of this paper. It is on the Dominican players' experience in American baseball. I am currently looking for subjects to interview and am aware of the large Dominican population in New York, but if you know of any throughout the US please let me know. I would like to interview ex-baseball players who were cut from either the minor or major leagues. If there is someone who fits this description please email me their contact information so I could mail them a questionnaire.
Hope that you can help.
Thank you

Hola,
Soy estudiante de Maestria y estoy en el proceso de escribir mi tesis. Mi grado depende en la terminaci?n de este papel que es sobre la experiencia de peloteros Dominicanos en el b?isbol Americano. Busco sujetos para entrevistar y se de la poblaci?n Dominicana en Nueva York pero si conoce a otros viviendo en otras partes de los EEUU por favorme deja saber. Querr?a entrevistar ex-peloteros que fueron dejados libres por sus equipos de las ligas menores o mayores. Si hay alguien que usted conoce que haya tenido esta experiencia, por favor me deja saber para que les pueda enviar un cuestionario. Espero que usted me pueda ayudar. Gracias

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Celt202 said:
The Red Sox willingly let Pedro slip away. The Red Sox obviously thought Pedro's best years are behind him and that he doesn't have four good years left in him. If they are wrong as they were with Clemens they will regret it. If they are right then watch what happens to Pedro. He had a great store of good will in Boston with the fans and the press. If he fails the New York press and fans will eat him alive. I think Pedro's skills are declining but his determination and pride are as strong as ever.
The Sox got 3 or 4 pitchers for loose change that can be moved easily if they fail. Combined, they equate over a season to achieve what Lowe and Pedro did.

It can be argued that Martinez is a better pitcher and will produce more. However, the Saaaaaaaawx are not in a position - nor do they have the want to be - to consume so much payroll in one pitcher with declining performances and tenuous shoulder stability. Doesn't make much sense unless you're the Yankees.

In addition, they have a huge contract in LF that they'd love to get rid of. Manny is all that and more, but the money and years are absurd for a defensive liability. If I were the Mets I'd stick to getting Beltran and forget Ramirez, defense is too often underrated in importance; Beltran's got it all.

Even still, I'm not sold on the idea that the Saaaaaaawx would have matched the Met's offer even if they didn't have the Planet Manny contract to contend with.

Where some of you come up with Saaaaaaaaawx MGMT dropping the ball on this is beyond me. When he decided to go to the Mets, I'd bet my left arm that management let out a huge sigh of relief?as did all his teammates.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
54 million reasons to take a walk

Cleef said:
Where some of you come up with Saaaaaaaaawx MGMT dropping the ball on this is beyond me. When he decided to go to the Mets, I'd bet my left arm that management let out a huge sigh of relief?as did all his teammates.

I think you're right. I think they were glad to see him go and didn't even think of counteroffering the Mets offer. So wheah's Pedro gonna pahk his cah? I live in the DR and I'm from Bawston. People I know back home are wicked pissed that Pedro walked. I agree with Epstein's statement that he's earned the right to move on. I myself appreciate everything he did for the Sawx. His numbah should be on the wall in Fenway Pahk IMHO. He certainly came through in the playoffs. That's heart. I can't wait to follow his batting average.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
It is about respect, regardless

Pedro earned the right to stay, as he earned the right to leave. He wanted to stay in Boston. He DESERVED much better from Boston. The BoSox will deserve the 2005 season. Epstein is not a genius. If he were, Tim Hudson would've been Pedro's replacement, hands-down.

As an example of respect and class, Bernie Williams is 36 years old, making 10s of millions to play CF and clutch hit, with knees that are shot. As much crap as people talk about the Yankees, they would never throw Bernie out. He earned that respect, just like Pedro earned his. They'll look for a way to replace him in CF, like with Beltran, but Bernie then becomes fulltime DH.

It's about respect, it's about loyalty, it's about class. There's a way to treat people who've put it out there for you. Like Clemens not wearing 21 in New York, as that belonged to Paul O'Neill. Like ARod not playing SS in New York, as that belongs to Jeter. Randy Johnson will not wear 51 in New York, as that belongs to Bernie Williams.

Is it a real wonder why no one ever returns to Boston after they leave? The Red Sox showed Pedro little respect. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: