Bringing personal belongings to the DR

Mike and Roma

Jan 3, 2005
Does anyone know what kind of taxes are associated with shipping in your personal belongings when moving to the DR? is it worth it bringing your "stuff" (computer equipment, electronics, tools, furniture, car etc) or are you better off purchasing in the DR? Is there a one time tax exemption like we have here in Canada? Any responses will be helpful. Thanks, Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are hundreds of threads that deal with this very thing

Pretty please do a "search" in the SEARCH function at the top of this page.
I believe that there is even a "Sticky" relating to this event.

Good Luck...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The usual advice on this board is to bring what you can carry and sell the rest before you leave. Do a search for such topics as shipping personal belonging, shipping vehicle, importing vehicle, importing personal belongings.

Mike and Roma

Jan 3, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Pretty please do a "search" in the SEARCH function at the top of this page.
I believe that there is even a "Sticky" relating to this event.

Good Luck...

HB

Thanks for this Hillbilly. We have since done a search and have found the information that we need. I think I'm covered. Mike

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
It won't be cheap or easy, expect leg work and payoffs, and more hassles, customs fees for electronic stuff and more . If your a Dominican returning with household possesions (as my wife was) its supposed to be free, but they get you no matter what. And the shipping company will find a way to add to the bill, if you want your stuff. I didn't want to ship anything, but my wife was attached to her stuff, and is good on bureacratic follow through and raising hell when it's called for. She complicated things a bit when she refused to give the dock hands at customs an extra 4,000 pesos just because they thought they deserved it, but two days at the customs office in Santo Domingo resolved that crisis. It is expensive to replace all your household stuff, especially TVs and computers. I didn't especially like the idea of parting with about $5,000US, as money here is a hard to get commodity. But, now that we're in our apartment and settled, it's a little comforting to have our junk, it makes it feel like home. If I had to do it again I might of brought the car instead of selling it in NY and buying here. Didn't realize how over priced cars are here. Two or Three thousand to ship and clear the car would have been a bargain.