Living in Juan Dolio

StarFlower

Jan 3, 2005
Hey Guys !! I just spent an unexpected week in a not liked resort in Juan Dolio(South)- I am wanting to go back and live there for 2 months or more. I have lived in between Sosua and Cabarete(North) for one whole year, but that was ten years ago. I want to know how safe it really is for a white female and her son of 5 years to live in that town.

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
yup!

Yup!
The Dominican Republic is a country where crime is very low but always use "common sense" like don't alk around with expensive things dring night time and dont bring lots of money with you everytime you go out other than that u will have a great time in the land of the merengue.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
StarFlower said:
Hey Guys !! I just spent an unexpected week in a not liked resort in Juan Dolio(South)- I am wanting to go back and live there for 2 months or more. I have lived in between Sosua and Cabarete(North) for one whole year, but that was ten years ago. I want to know how safe it really is for a white female and her son of 5 years to live in that town.
SF, I would suggest PM'ing or emailing MommC, whose been spending part of her year in Juan Dolio for years. I'm sure she'd have alot to share.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
StarFlower said:

Juan Dolio is very safe, it's a small town so everyone knows everybody's business! If you want to meet a nice (Italian) lady that could give you some info, go to Fior DI Loto and talk to Mara, she has been living there for many many years. She has a "Indian/Yoga/Meditation" type of hotel there. Good luck!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes....Juanita as it right!

Juan Dolio is basically a sleepy little town that is quite safe if you observe normal safety precautions.
That said there is more crime this year than there has been however it appears to happen to people who are setting themselves up as "easy" targets so just do as you would anywhere and you'll be fine.
There is a good English school in Juan Dolio and lots of apts for rent but you will have to travel in to San Pedro to shop as JD hhas only basic mini-markets for those grocery items you may have missed picking up at the supermarket.
The good news is a Jumbo just opened in San Pedro so now there is Iberia and Jumbo and Zaglul that provide all you could require at competitive prices.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and by all means wen you get to JD stop in at Hotel Flor di Loto and introduce yourself to Mara!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Quote by OP:
"Hey Guys !! I just spent an unexpected week in a not liked resort in Juan Dolio"

What resort did you stay at and can you tell us how you liked it for yourself?

I am a single woman and have lived in Jaun Dolio and the town is very safe. Pay attention to all the precautions the other posters have mentions and you should be fine. There are a few other ex-pats with young children living in Jaun Dolio too. There should be reasonable apartments for rent on Calle Blvd near the school. The best place to go for quick reliable information is Guilla's cafe. It is where the locals go to get and give information. If you went to Jaun Dolio and stayed at Plaza Real for a few days it would give you time to look around and get the info that you need. Good Luck and feel free to ask questions.

StarFlower

Jan 3, 2005
Name of the English School? contact Info?

Hello!
Would you have any other info. on the school? contact info. for it? thank you!

MommC said:
Juan Dolio is basically a sleepy little town that is quite safe if you observe normal safety precautions.
That said there is more crime this year than there has been however it appears to happen to people who are setting themselves up as "easy" targets so just do as you would anywhere and you'll be fine.
There is a good English school in Juan Dolio and lots of apts for rent but you will have to travel in to San Pedro to shop as JD hhas only basic mini-markets for those grocery items you may have missed picking up at the supermarket.
The good news is a Jumbo just opened in San Pedro so now there is Iberia and Jumbo and Zaglul that provide all you could require at competitive prices.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and by all means wen you get to JD stop in at Hotel Flor di Loto and introduce yourself to Mara!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's Villas del Mar International School.........

and I don't have the contact info with me but do a search on the board for the name as I think the number has been posted before.
If you can wait a couple weeks until I get beck to JD I could get it for you otherwise try the Dominican Yellowpages. I'm sure it will be listed.......
They have quite a good elementary program......I've met quite a few youngsters who hhave been enrolled (thhey love practising their English on me!!)

StarFlower

Jan 3, 2005
Merengue

PuertoRican2 said:
Yup!
The Dominican Republic is a country where crime is very low but always use "common sense" like don't alk around with expensive things dring night time and dont bring lots of money with you everytime you go out other than that u will have a great time in the land of the merengue.

Yeah, eh !! Beautiful land of la Merengue. Are you from Puerto Rico ? I'm from Canada- land of snow and ice right now.

PuertoRican2

Dec 20, 2004
Hi!
Yea im from Puerto Rico but i have many dominican friends i even have the dominican accent i grew up with dominicans in NYC but now i live in a more quiet place which is the state of Virginia.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
PuertoRican2 said:
Hi!
Yea im from Puerto Rico but i have many dominican friends i even have the dominican accent i grew up with dominicans in NYC but now i live in a more quiet place which is the state of Virginia.

Hey PR2 in what part of Virginia do you live?
I used to live in Fairfax county and my sister lives in Leesburg.