American born child getting DR citizenship

fingerpaint

Jan 4, 2005
Okay. Today I called the Dominican Consulate in Washington D.C. the dude said that I have to go to the Foreign Ministry (on Independence Ave. in Santo Domingo?!) in D.R. to start the process of getting a citizenship (my mother is Dominican. I am 20 years of age). However, the guy I talked to did not mention anything about getting my birth certicate translated into spanish and all this other stuff that i am going to list below...

I've read every citizenship thread on this forum. Guzman always pasted this whenever someone asked about obtaining citizenship:

A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2. Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3.Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4.Birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

5.4 pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6.Application and newspaper fees.

now... i have no idea what almost any of the stuff above means! what do steps 1 and steps 2 entail (petition to minister of interior?!?!? notary public?!?! how? what?). Also, another person said this regarding acquiring DR citizenship

"To request the citizenship for a baby born abroad, a legal transcript of the birth certificate should be requested. This should be brought to Santo Domingo to be legalized at the Legalization Department of SEREX. This department then sends a letter to the Junta Central Electoral del Distrito Nacional that will issue a letter to the corresponding Oficial?a authorizing the registration of the child as a Dominican citizen."

The above method differs from what Guzman said..... there's no mention of "public notary" and stuff...

and another person had a third perspective on how to get citizenship:

his is a long process but you qualify for Dominican citizenship. Your family can get the process going for you in the Dominican Republic. The departments you will deal with are the Ministry of Interior and Police (Secretaria de Interior y Policia) and the Central Electoral Board (Junta Central Electoral).

so basically... can someone please just tell me a detailed step by step process on for a Dominican child (American born) to obtain dual citizenship. I have my mother's dominican birth certificate, I also have my American birth certificate, my american passport, and my american social security card. I live in Washington D.C. I am 20 years old.

Thank you very much,
aaron

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It doesn't make much sense, that's for sure

If you just want to show off that you have "dual" citizenship, all well and good.

Write a letter to the Minister of the Interior, Franklin Almeyda, and request Dominican citizenship based on such-and-such article fof the Constitution. Have this letter translated by a legal translater, stamped by the Dominican Consulate as required, and send it via FedEx directly to the minister.

As for the Notary Public, you might as well just go to the DR and get all of this done there. There are Official Translators, Notarios and the process is well known. Since you are now 20 years old you might get more hassle than necessary, but you can walk through the paperwork. Takes time and patience.

But the main question is WHY? Man, that blue passport can get you anywhere with little or no hassle. You can only go to a few countries in the world on a DR passport. Heck, you can't even cross the border into Haiti on a Dominican passport! Like try and go to Europe on a DR passport or Canada.
What you are thinking about is all well and good, but it does not make sense.

HB :(:(:(???

fingerpaint

Jan 4, 2005
okay. i appreciate all your people's opinions...

i was just thinking... with American citizens losing more of their civil liberties and freedoms... also with America being a pretentious asshole and a threat to international security.... that maybe it'd be good idea to have dual citizenship so that when push comes to shove, I can escape to a country that really has no role in international politics (and is safe aka D.R.)... me entiendes?

but i guess not? i guess it's so easy to get into D.R. that if I have that american passport, i'm already a D.R. citizen but without the annoying paperwork...?

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
Domincan Citizen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone, i have noticed few posts about how to become a Domincan citizen,,well here is my experience i hope it helps..

1- i went to the Consulado Domincano in NYC where i live, and got my American Birth certificate translated and legalized for a very ridculous fee of $25.00 and $75.00 = $100..

2- since my paretns are both born Domincan and have Cedula's , i was able to speed up the process.. i went to the JCE in Santo Domingo by Plaza de la banderas , i beleive this is the HQ, i spoke to a young man he gave me the paper work i needed and send me to the " legalizacion unit"
what for, since i laready had this done in NY, but u guys know how these Politicos are..anyways,,i went the next morning it took me about 5 hrs,a nd 600.00 pesos to get this done....then i went back to the JCE and gave him the appliation, my documents legalized twice, my moms cedula # and copies of everything i think aboiut 5 copies of each document and of i went to the beach...

3- i came back the next day, he gave me a paper which i was to bring to the same office that game my mom her Birth Certificate when she was born,,( i didn't go, i had to come back to NY) my mom went and they made me a Domincan legal Birth Certificate ..

4- this was during the week of 11/6-11/14, know im in NY spoke to my mom last week and told me that she had my Domincan Birth certifcate since before December...know when she gets back in January, with my new BCertificate i can go to the JCE office in NYC and get my cedula.

5- ok..
so i guess those of you who want your citizenship, its alot easier to become one then becoming a resident , wait and then apply for citizenship , makes no sence..
i guess soem of u can ue your Husbans/Wife cedula if they are Domincan citizens,,,,and your wedding certificate.........

as to the rest of you, i wouldnt know,
this is just form my experiecne,..
which honeslty went pretty smmothly

here is where i went
Plaza de la Banderas
809-539-5419
exts.2248 or 2385..

Goodluck ..
know im Domincan/American,,double nationality,...

why i did this, its very convenient for school and many other things im not yet aware of,,but i know this step will save me many headaches..and hopefully $$$$$$