Oh the rains! But wait! The "Caba?uelas!"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the caba?uelas, the Dominican folklore tradition that the first days of January will determine if the year is macho or hembra (male or female). Female years have plenty of rain and for a country that runs off of its agricultural production, this is important.

A friend of mine called to give me the technical name for the ?caro de vaneamiento del arroz" or the mite that attacks rice husks and produces empty rice husks. It is steneotarsonemus spinki, also known as the "panicle mite."

Anyway, during our conversation he mentioned that the rains had stopped in the afternoon down the Northwest Line and that perhaps the rains were over, althought he said that "Tomorrow is May (the fifth month), and we have to see about the caba?uelas!" All this means is that if it rains here tomorrow, we will have at least the first five months with plenty of rain. Good for farmers, bad for "Snow birds" looking to get all sun burned...

We'll see how it goes, I guess.

HB :D:D

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well 2004 was a "hembra" year so maybe we're due for a "male " year!!

At least it would let things dry out so maybe the roads won't "slide " away along with the villages they lead too!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The tradition of divining the amount of rainfall for the year, through 'caba?uelas' probably has its origin in Europe, since it's prevalent in the folklore of many Latin American countries, from Mexico to Argentina. In the early 1970s I witnessed, on a 1st of January, a campesino in Midwestern Venezuela (Yaracuy) cover twelve small mounds of salt with shells, representing the 12 months of the year. Then I heard that the shells were uncovered around Jan 15th and that humidity or dryness of the salt within the shells determined rain or dry for that particular month.

Mirador

Yes, the caba?uelas, the Dominican folklore tradition that the first days of January will determine if the year is macho or hembra (male or female). Female years have plenty of rain and for a country that runs off of its agricultural production, this is important.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is pouring rain as I write this at 6:30 pm. I fear that this year will be bisexual, with the worst of both. As hard as it has been raining in Sosua the past couple of days, I can't believe area farmers are in a welcoming mode.