Bringing a computer-any advice?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have dsl in my new apartment in Sosua, and am thinking of bringing down a laptop. The reasons for a laptop are that I can bring it as carry-on, it's easy to bring back to NY for repairs, and it probably won't need restarting when power shifts over to the planta. I have a Mac at home, mainly because my company is all Mac, but will bring a PC - probably a Dell - because my guess is that a Mac platform is not used in the DR, and I want my Dominican family to become computer literate for school and work (I should live so long!). Anything I need to know? - D

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you are not going to purchase a UPS, get an APC surge protector. Also, if you will be carrying it back and forth, keep size and weight in mind when ordering.

Dell has an international onsite warranty program, or they did. If it is available, consider taking it. I had trouble with my Dell notebook, but had to wait until returning to the US to get warranty service because I did not have the international version.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Toshiba Laptop

I use a Toshiba laptop in Santiago. There is an authorized warranty facility in Santo Domingo. Haven't had to use it yet.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Contact a good insurance company and get a Equipo Electronico Todo Riesgo insurance on it. This will enable you to replace your computer if it is shot by power surge, stolen, etc. The insurance is one of the most cost-effective you can buy.

Bring a power surge protector 800+joules

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
And make sure you have surge protection for the phone line as well. Very wise protection to have in the Dominican market, as I had to learn the hard way...

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
It is unlikely that your Dominican electrics are grounded. It is important to get it done, (4ft copper bar driven into the ground & some heavy copper wire to the circuit your computer is on.) Also use a surge protector as others have already advised. Canadian Bob.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Not consider to by in Sosua? I bought a very good computer here in Sosua. Marco at the Compu center gave an excelent price, and gives excelent service.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Tor said:
Not consider to by in Sosua? I bought a very good computer here in Sosua. Marco at the Compu center gave an excelent price, and gives excelent service.

Can you tell me what you bought for what price? - D

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Danny
I'm not an expert on all the spesifications, but I payed 22.600 pesos for a computer with a 17' monitor. It's suits all my needs, surfing the net, watching web-tv / videos, photo handling, downloading music and burning CD's. I got installed with all programs, and payed additional 2.490 pesos tor the UPS.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
DELL makes a great laptop stand and keyboard,too. When set up it feels and operates like a regular desktop. I carry my laptop back and forth all the time as carry-on. I leave the stand and pack the key board in luggage. If anyone attempts to steal while I am away, they've got an ugly looking bookend.

I have not experienced any computer problems at all when the power source switch from main line to backup inverter.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
UPS is vital

I recommend a UPS. Even though your laptop will continue running on it's internal battery when the power goes off, your DSL modem will shut down unless connected to a UPS.

From personal experience that means re-connecting to your company's VPN. I've been told that a UPS also protects your equipment from power surges much better than a plain surge protector. A small one sells for about $100 in the DR - less in the States but heavy to transport.

Regards,
Ben

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks for the info., everyone. Does Marco at the Compu Center have an email address, and is that the store that's in the small shopping area near the Banco Popular in Sosua? - D

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
"Cedu-comp" is just outside of Sosua on the Cabarete road, left hand side as you head to Cabarete, I found the service there less than decent. The store you speak of is "Computer System Solutions" in Plaza Colonial near Banco Popular. The guy's name is Angel and his email is computer.system@verizon.net.do
His service for me was excellent, even down to making 75ft ethernet cables.
There is another store around the corner owned by a friendly German guy, the name of this eludes me.
A quick note on apple machinery, there is hopefully soon to be a service center / store in Cabarete area. Obviously capable with PC hardware too.
I only run a ups on my desktop, it still resets occasionally, but have no problems with my DSL or wireless equipment when power swaps between generator to street or invertor.
All my equipment was brought from the uk, laptops in hand luggage and PC in a suitcase. PC took a bashing but not so bad!
Hope there is some info there that can be of some use.
Jon

htdomn

Oct 26, 2004
www.idealcell.com
Macs have authorized repair.....

I have a powerbook g4 and i always bring it to the DR, they have a repair center in santo domingo, their site is compusistema.com.... and i guess is a toss up as to which OS is simpler to understand for i much rather learn about a worry free mac then a virus infested pc.