Insurance for a week's holiday

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was just wondering if everyone takes the insurance when going on a week or two holiday. The deluxe package is about 82.00 CND for a week which includes cancelation and medical. Any experiences you've had, good or bad when something does happen while on vacation?

Thanks

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hey Anna,
I have medical travel insurance with work so I don't buy that. I have bought in the past trip cancelatoin insurance.
But when I booked last minute trips one week before I didn't bother buying the trip cancellation.
I would suggest getting medical insurance for sure it's good to have.
Just my thoughts!
Hmmm does this mean you heading to the DR soon!!
I'm hoping to go soon myself just deciding on what month.

Anna Coniglio said:
I was just wondering if everyone takes the insurance when going on a week or two holiday. The deluxe package is about 82.00 CND for a week which includes cancelation and medical. Any experiences you've had, good or bad when something does happen while on vacation?

Thanks

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:

Thanks

I usually have a annual insurance with TD Insurance. I pay $55.00 cdn and is good for the entire year.(medical only). It's good for many trips lasting up to 3 weeks. I travel alot so it's woth it for me. Otherwise I would be apying $24 per trip. I fly 5 times a year, so $55 is good value fro me. The annual plan are great for rfequent travellers.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Hi Anna,

I have seen it go both ways, some needed it when they didn't purchase and some have bought it and didn't make any claims. But any more I do recommend that my clients purchase it. Most also offer some type of baggage coverage for lost or damaged bags, which can be good.
Make sure for the cancellation if it is for any reason and up to day of departure or just for medical reasons only.. But still for the medical most can not be anything that is pre existing. Plus be aware of the "Act of God" clause and in case the airline goes bankrupt or on strike.

Also if you do cancel last minute and did not purchase the insurance, are you ok with losing that amount of money? But always check the operators cancellation penalties.

You just never know when an accident may happen.

Way all options and make the best choice for you. :)

Tracy

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
Trip Insurance

Happy New Year All!
Unless we book a "short notice" trip we take the medical/trip cancellation insurance. When booking several months ahead you just never know...not that we know 5 minutes ahead either!! We used it once several years ago when we had to cancel a trip. The insurance company promptly came through as promised. Guess it just depends on how much of a gambler you are and what your personal circumstances are. judi

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
FYI Tracy,

Anna is in Canada and unlike the US, cancellation insurance here is only for specific reasons. AFAIK "any reason" cancellation insurance is not available here.

Other than that I agree with you.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

Thanks

Unless you are living from day to day eating cat food plus or minus $82.00 for some degree of protection is a drop in the vacation cost bucket, so buy it and quit worrying. Since the charters are as flexible as steel with problems, it may be worth it for cancellation insurance. You should have decent out of country medical , so if that's part of what you are buying, great.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks everyone. I wanted to hear everyone else's opinion. I always think if you get the insurance everything will be ok and when you don't that's when crap happens. Yes Rick you're right it wasn't the bucks, it was just to find out what others do and think about it.

Music, my sis has never been to the DR so we're thinking the second week of Feb. Are you coming? ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
used to deal with this...

When I lived in Canada I was a financial planner. I always advised people to take out the insurance for health reasons. YOu never know what might happen and it can wipe you out financialy. Look into what is on your credit cards, work plan and what it costs for one trip or an annual policy. IF you go out of province you should have coverage, if you go anywhere internationally you should always have coverage. Even if you go for just one day!!!

If losing the value of the trip would cause you great hardship then insure for trip cancellation. If not don't bother.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
You are right never hurts to take the medical insurance. You never know what is going to happen. With the annual plan for $55 I can travel unlimited worry free for a year. This is good for frequent travellers especially when you have to pay $22 per trip.