Trouble Boiling Water

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
The other day a friend of mine who just moved back from Italy was complaining that she was having trouble getting a big pot of water to boil. Since we got here my wife has been saying the same thing. You know, at first I thought she was crazy but the other day I too couldn't seem to get the pot of water boiling to make some pasta. What's going on with this? Does the gas here burn cooler? is the atmospheric pressure in the tropics greater? Any physicists out there with a penchant for cooking? Or maybe my stove just needs some adjusting, it seems to have a big flame. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think it's the SIZE of the flame which counts, but more the intensity with which it burns ;) Has anyone tried cleaning the jets? You could have a deposit blocking a really intense flame.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Naufrago said:
The other day a friend of mine who just moved back from Italy was complaining that she was having trouble getting a big pot of water to boil. Since we got here my wife has been saying the same thing. You know, at first I thought she was crazy but the other day I too couldn't seem to get the pot of water boiling to make some pasta. What's going on with this? Does the gas here burn cooler? is the atmospheric pressure in the tropics greater? Any physicists out there with a penchant for cooking? Or maybe my stove just needs some adjusting, it seems to have a big flame. Any thoughts?
A strong draught from a window may be cooling a very big pot for pasta and preventing boiling. Also "a watched pot never boils" (sorry, I couldn't resist it!) Canadian Bob

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I've always heard......

......that there is a difference in the heat produced by either the blue or yellow flame...........which is done by adjusted the jets.........I don't remember which was supposed to be hotter, but also remember that it also determined whether or not the bottom of you pots get black.

Maybe someone here knows what I am talking about!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I was told.

My Grandmother told me a pinch of salt helps the pot, boil at a higher temp. Things cook quicker.

That means you would need more heat to boil the water.

I Dunno :cross-eye

Tim H.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Use lid and avoid salt!

Adding to tips already given, here are two more:

1) Put a lid on the pot, to avoid losing heat,

2) Do not add salt to the water! Salt will cause the water to boil at a higher temperature, meaning you have to add more heat to make it boil,

Post-note:
Oh, Timex had the same thought about salt! Well, I guess it is correct then!

Post Post-note:
Incidentally, I have a different problem where I live! My home is on an altitude of 1800 meters (c.6,000 feet). At this altitude, water boils at c.93.5 degrees C. A rule of thumb for cooking, is to add cooking time by 5% for every 1,000 feet above 2,000 feet altitude. Doesn't remedy my coffee though, that remains luke warm... Sigh!

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Voyager said:
Put a lid on the pot, to avoid losing heat,

This is what I always thought, until Pib told me that it makes absolutely no difference. There is a scientific explanation, apparently.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Prove it to me!!!

Chirimoya said:
This is what I always thought, until Pib told me that it makes absolutely no difference. There is a scientific explanation, apparently.

Chirimoya, please prove it to me!!!

Meanwhile, I did a quick search on google. Check for example this website: http://www.ochef.com/928.htm

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
Did I say that? I am pretty senile, so maybe I did. If I did I was wrong, sorry to have mislead you. However, in the great scheme of things that is probably one of the smallest mistakes I've made :)

Is it possible that Naufrago has a hard-water problem? Hard water boils slower, IIRC.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My solution would be a bit different

At the Old Ford plant in Mahwah, New Jersey, we had a saying:

"If it doesn't fit, get a hammer; if it still doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer!" Of course that was before people like Nissan and Toyota and Honda taught us about good workmanship and quality control..:D:D:D

But the point is: a bigger flame!

There is this place on Las Carreras called Estufama. Next to the Trapiche Liquor Store. Parking is right in front! They have these three and two burner stoves that really put out a FLAME. I learned this when I found out that I couln't cook in a Wok with the stove, cause it was just not hot enough. These units are really inexpensive and they give great-no, excellent- service. I would be happy to go with you so you get the "family" discount...(It's a Dominican thing!) Telephone is 581 3450.

We make huge pots of sanchocho on ours, bigger than your arms can hold!

HB:D:D

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
your gas pipe should have a regulator fitted on the line between the tank and the stove connection. This controls the rate of flow of the gas.
Try adjusting that first.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks for all the ideas, so I guess it's our system, not something others are experiencing on this island.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Actually...

The tsunami which occured on Dec. 26 crashed into the shore with so much intensity that it actually shifted the earth axis making water boil at a higher temp. Pitty.
-A bear shits in the woods-

Twilight

Oct 15, 2004
Naufrago said:
Thanks for all the ideas, so I guess it's our system, not something others are experiencing on this island.

Well, I thought it was just me. Our stove is small and water seems to take longer to boil. I always put on a lid and that helps some.