Destination: Jarabacoa

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hi all,
I was planing to make a visit to Jarabacoa in end of january. I was wondering if anybody knew the Caribe Tours bus schedule for Jarabacoa. I will be leaving from Puerto Plata. Also Estimated travel time to Jarabacoa. Thanks.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Jarabacoa

I have done several times the trip from Puerto Plata (Sosua) to Jarabacoa .. Time would be around 1 1/2 hour .. Did it always with my own car but for sure there must exist agencies who provide this trip service (sure that hotels can help you ) . If not you could always take a bus to Santiago and from there to Jarabacoa ..Sorry can't help you more ..
stallion said:
Hi all,
I was planing to make a visit to Jarabacoa in end of january. I was wondering if anybody knew the Caribe Tours bus schedule for Jarabacoa. I will be leaving from Puerto Plata. Also Estimated travel time to Jarabacoa. Thanks.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Correction

Sorry not 1 1/2 hour it would be more like 2 i/2 hour
hugoke01 said:
I have done several times the trip from Puerto Plata (Sosua) to Jarabacoa .. Time would be around 1 1/2 hour .. Did it always with my own car but for sure there must exist agencies who provide this trip service (sure that hotels can help you ) . If not you could always take a bus to Santiago and from there to Jarabacoa ..Sorry can't help you more ..

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Its about 1:40 to Santiago then another 1:20 to Jarabaccoa. Where are you staying?

Not sure were I will be staying, I found couple of places on the net for $24 us per night. I will figuresomething out when I get there. Why do you know of of places?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Hotel Gran Jimenoa is a really nice place, directly over looking the river. If you can get Rooms 214,215 on the second floor or 314,315 on the third you will have a terrace right on the river. Also, the restaurant is the best in Jarabaccoa. The price is about $40 or $50 U.S. The restaurant in not cheap, but excellent. Also a nice wine list.

The phone is 574-6304. You should call for directions and a reservation. It is on Ave La Confluencia. I really cannot direct you there but most people in the town can.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
SKY said:
The Hotel Gran Jimenoa is a really nice place, directly over looking the river. If you can get Rooms 214,215 on the second floor or 314,315 on the third you will have a terrace right on the river. Also, the restaurant is the best in Jarabaccoa. The price is about $40 or $50 U.S. The restaurant in not cheap, but excellent. Also a nice wine list.

The phone is 574-6304. You should call for directions and a reservation. It is on Ave La Confluencia. I really cannot direct you there but most people in the town can.

Sounds good, thank you for the great info. Also thanks to everyone else who gave me advice and directions. Thanks all.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
SKY said:

Yes this is where I usually stay. It was $25-$35 but I guess the dollar went down. Its a hard place to find the first time but WELL WORTH IT!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
For a lower cost hotel option, I can recommend Brisas Del Yaque, located in the town of Jarabacoa, just a couple of blocks from the main street. A year ago a clean room w/AC and cable TV was RD600.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
For a lower cost hotel option, I can recommend Brisas Del Yaque, located in the town of Jarabacoa, just a couple of blocks from the main street. A year ago a clean room w/AC and cable TV was RD600.

Sounds good, do you know the pjone number or address? Thanks

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sweetdbt said:

Going to Jarabaccoa and not staying at the River is a big mistake.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
not necessarily!

Jimmydr said:
Going to Jarabaccoa and not staying at the River is a big mistake.

JDR,

I would certainly agree that to visit Jarabacoa (with one c) and not enjoy the beauty of the Yaque Norte would be a waste. However..... you can spend all day enjoying the place; see the river and waterfalls, swim under Salto Jimenoa, go rafting, hiking, etc. regardless of where you sleep! A view of the river from your hotel room is nice if cost is no object, and the Gran Jimenoa sounds like a good value. Some of us travel on a tight budget, and I was presenting stallion with an option.

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sweetdbt said:
JDR,

I would certainly agree that to visit Jarabacoa (with one c) and not enjoy the beauty of the Yaque Norte would be a waste. However..... you can spend all day enjoying the place; see the river and waterfalls, swim under Salto Jimenoa, go rafting, hiking, etc. regardless of where you sleep! A view of the river from your hotel room is nice if cost is no object, and the Gran Jimenoa sounds like a good value. Some of us travel on a tight budget, and I was presenting stallion with an option.

If you can't swing 1 night there, then your budget is too tight and maybe you really shouldn't travel.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jimmydr said:
If you can't swing 1 night there, then your budget is too tight and maybe you really shouldn't travel.

Yeah Jimmy. You da man. We all need to do things exactly the way you do because (as you are always so quick to point out) you've been there 30 times!

Who are you to tell someone else that they are cheap, or shouldn't travel at all if they need to be careful with their budget? I guess all the hotels in Jarabacoa that aren't right on the river should just close down now because the great JDR says they have no reason for exhistance.

Whew! I feel better now. That's about as close as I'll get to flaming, but I really get fed up when people think they KNOW IT ALL!

In the immortal words of AZB "have a nice day".

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sweetdbt said:
Yeah Jimmy. You da man. We all need to do things exactly the way you do because (as you are always so quick to point out) you've been there 30 times!

Who are you to tell someone else that they are cheap, or shouldn't travel at all if they need to be careful with their budget? I guess all the hotels in Jarabacoa that aren't right on the river should just close down now because the great JDR says they have no reason for exhistance.

Whew! I feel better now. That's about as close as I'll get to flaming, but I really get fed up when people think they KNOW IT ALL!

In the immortal words of AZB "have a nice day".

So thats a flame? You have over 200 posts, I can take critizism. Thats your opinion. Thats like going to Florida, driving up to Disnyworld or land and just looking, but not going in cause thats all you budget allows.

Don't go traveling if you can't aford it, thats all I am saying here.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jimmydr said:
So thats a flame? You have over 200 posts, I can take critizism. Thats your opinion. Thats like going to Florida, driving up to Disnyworld or land and just looking, but not going in cause thats all you budget allows.

Don't go traveling if you can't aford it, thats all I am saying here.

No Jimmy, that was not a flame. It was "as close as I will come to a flame". I like to follow board decorum and not attack others, which is essentially what you are doing when you say that those of us who need or choose to be careful about how much we spend on a hotel room shouldn't travel at all. IMHO this is arrogant and presumptuous. It would be like some millionaire telling you that you shouldn't bother traveling unless you can afford to fly first class and stay in 5 star resorts every night.

Your comparison to going to Disney World and just looking doesn't work. What you are really saying is that if you can't afford to stay at the Disneyland resort, you shouldn't go to Orlando, or the theme park, even though there are lots of less expensive hotels in Orlando where you can stay. I went to Jarabacoa, saw, felt and experienced pretty much all the place has to offer, including the parade of the horsemen in the town square at sunset from a resteraunt balcony just 2 blocks away from my room. I went to the theme park and had a blast. It was NOT a mistake.