Just got back from Santo Domingo...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
and stayed at the Penalba across the street from a really old and beautiful church(at the moment the name escapes me). I did some touristy things, like go all over the Colonial Zone taking pictures. I walked from there all the way to where the huge Christmas tree was in the malecon and the stage where Frank Reyes played on New Years'. The scene was cool-a much better time than New Years in NYC, mostly because of the weather and mostly because of the dominicans.

When I got off the plane the tropical air hit me and I felt like I was home. Alot of returning dominicans use the phrase "voy a casa" when they are returning to the DR because that is how they feel-they are going home. I sat next to a young dominican girl on the plane who lives in the Bronx and she had not been "home" in 3 years. She was headed to Bani and was the sweetest person.

The plane was of course very heavy from all of the stuff everyone was bringing to give to friends and family members and right after takeoff we had the fright of our lives. The plane took off and then headed left and DOWN. We were all scared out of our minds and out of instinct the young girl and I grabbed each other just like everyone else on the plane-they just grabbed the nearest person for comfort. After the plane straightened out, we all had a big laugh about it. But you could feel how heavy the plane was-it was literally dragging.

I stayed in Boca Chica for a few days and then headed to the capital to celebrate New Years. The fireworks were spectacular and the scene on the malecon was really festive. Right by Diego Colon's house alongside the river there is a parking lot where young dominicans gather and play music out of their car stereos. They congregate, dance and drink until the party ends and I found this to be a very unique experience. At the stand where they sell beer one of the girls asked my date "what does the gringo want?" after she placed her order. I laughed and told her I was'nt a gringo and that I speak fluent spanish. She felt a little embarrassed but in the mood everyone was in it was no time for hard feelings. Watching everone dance and mingle in this parking lot was quite a blast, and I met some really nice people despite the outrageously loud music coming from these incredible sound systems. Some cars even had all types of blinking lights just like in a disco!!!

The Hotel Penalba is quaint, charming, well-kept and the staff are very attentive and friendly. Since I was there hooking up with friends I made alot of calls on the phone in my room. The phone bill was outrageous so I suggest to anyone in my situation just go up the street to the Verizon call center-domestic and international calls are very inexpensive and there is a clock in each booth letting you know in pesos hoe much you are spending so you can keep track and so that you can avoid being overcharged once you go to the front desk to pay up.

Further up the same street you arrive at Pacos, a 24-hour joint that serves decent dominican food and some stuff us "gringos" would be familiar with. It is really conveniant after a night of dancing when you're starving to death at 4 in the morning to have this place open all night. I was standing there one night while the cops showed up to round up the "ususal suspects". It is alot different from how they do it in NYC, I can tell you and it left me with the feeling that I really would not want to be rounded up the way those 2 cats in question were. They got hauled off by a very mean, tall and physically intimidating officer and I thought whatever they did I would not want to be in their shoes.

This place would not be what it is if not for the dominican people. They are not perfect and I am definitely not looking for a paradise on earth that does not exist. But whenever I go, in fact, the more I visit and meet more dominicans I feel as if this place is really my home. Santo Domingo, see you in Februrary 2005.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Nice to see you had a good time in SD around New Year.
Some comments though:
You should know that making phone calls from any hotel room is throwing money away, especially in Conde de Pe?alba which is only a block away from the Verizon call center. Otherwise, for local calls, get yourself a cheap DR cell phone and a prepaid card and reactivate it each time you go down there, that's what I do to stay in touch with my dominican friends.
As for Pacos, it is indeed very convenient, but no decent dominicana from la capital will want to go there or meet you there because the place is known as a place to pick up prostitutes.
Bartolomeo

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Nice to see you had a good time in SD around New Year.
Some comments though:
You should know that making phone calls from any hotel room is throwing money away, especially in Conde de Pe?alba which is only a block away from the Verizon call center. Otherwise, for local calls, get yourself a cheap DR cell phone and a prepaid card and reactivate it each time you go down there, that's what I do to stay in touch with my dominican friends.

Yes, but my problem was that I was making alot of phone calls after the Verizon center closed. But thanks for the tip on the cell phone-I will do just that next time around.

As for Pacos, it is indeed very convenient, but no decent dominicana from la capital will want to go there or meet you there because the place is known as a place to pick up prostitutes.
Bartolomeo

I used this place just to eat late and always by myself-I of course found out by looking around what sort of place it was and never went there with anyone late at night. But having never gone there, and we have all been in this situation, sometimes you have to learn by experience. That's the fun of travelling. But the food was not bad, especially if you're starving at 2 or 3 in the morning.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Berzin said:
I used this place just to eat late and always by myself-I of course found out by looking around what sort of place it was and never went there with anyone late at night. But having never gone there, and we have all been in this situation, sometimes you have to learn by experience. That's the fun of travelling. But the food was not bad, especially if you're starving at 2 or 3 in the morning.

True, the same happened to me when I first discovered Pacos. Some good milkshakes and juices too and a good stop for people watching during the day.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
Bartolomeo
Is this true? Color me clueless. I like the fruit shakes there. I am not worried though, I don't look glamourous enough to pass as a working girl. :nervous:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Pib said:
Is this true? Color me clueless. I like the fruit shakes there. I am not worried though, I don't look glamourous enough to pass as a working girl. :nervous:

Haha Pib
Since dominicans usually don't arrive on time, I thought Pacos was a very convenient place to meet someone, especially being a tourist myself and not familiar with the whole area. But it appears that no decent dominicana wants to be seen there with a gringo. And when you observe the place, you will usually see a couple of gringos in the bar and some young dominicanas hanging around on their own, which doesn't have to mean anything but prices are not really dominican-friendly and it's not really like them to do this if they would have a life. In fact you can probably pick up girls along the whole Conde if you would want to. The colourful bar/restaurant 'Flores' or something like that, halfway the Conde on the right hand side walking towards the cathedral with kind of loud music, gives me the same impression as Pacos.