Living in La Romana

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Having noticed that many of the posts on this board are Sosua/POP related, I am wondering if there are any folks out there living in La Romana.

I am a Phd student working on my dissertation research in La Romana (HIV prevention). My husband and I have lived here for a year. I have also lived in Santo Domingo (3 yrs) and Cotui (1.5 yrs) in the past.

Anyone out there in La Romana?

Terry O'Connell

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 21, 2004
La Romana

When you say folks I presume you mean ex-pats?
Built my home hrere in '85 when this was quite a lovely city, with a small airport in the middle of a golf course. The streets were cleaned each day, the old park was beautiful. What a differance a few years make. Now La Romana is a disgusting garbage dump, with prices for most items the higest in the country. The city management is a disgraceful collection of con artists and thiefs. Moto conchos and abnoxious bus and taxie drivers rule the roads, the police hapless.Take a ride up to the north side of the city, past the public high school, and look at the hundreds of acres of garbage dumped on fields that 10 yers ago were pristine and natural. Take a look at playa Culata, a fine beach protected by reef with clean sandy shore line. This is where I would take my daughters and teach them about the sea and how to swim. Now I would not let my dog go there. It is a sea side health hazard. The city does nothing. The Villla Verde section of town has had no water supply for six months. The Rio Dulce section......Oh my! Frogive me,I forgot about your thread.
So your working on a dissertation of HIV prevention. Wow! Good place to be.
Check out R======'s bar, accross from Jumbo, where teenage girls are to be had any hour of the day for cheep. Or how about going to the new park around dark thirty and watch the old men, many of them ex-pats, pick up the school girls and boys for a few dollars. Boy, ther's some fertile ground for HIV prevention. Be careful at the park though, you might run into the mayor.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I did mean expats and appreciate your clarification. I meant to post this message in the "Living" section rather than the "Dominicans Abroad" section.