looking for a change for my next trip.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
most of you probably know me from my threads and replys here for the past year or so.

ANYHOO...after traveling to the south for 5 consecutive years....i am thinking of traveling to the north to finaly check out sosua.

My travel buddy has come down with prostate cancer (he's older than me)...so it looks like I might be traveling solo. i HATE traveling solo!!!! I dont mind it during the day. I keep myself busy swimming, snorkeling and just relaxing and getting away from the stress of NYC and working on Wall Street (no i am not a banker but a graphic designer).

The problem i find with traveling solo is dinner and night time. Things work out if i meet some cool people while traveling and can hang out with and have dinner with and hang out and have drinks with.

SOOOOO....i am looking for somewhere new to travel this winter....that i can go solo, that is gay tolerant (perhaps gay friendly)...i am a discrete guy and am not chasing after every sankie on the beach....however..if i AM traveling solo i might not mind meeting a new...uh..."friend".

Would sosua be a good place for me? I usualy go to boca chica. Yeah..i know..not the best beach in the DR..but i like the owners at candil...i like the proximity to the capital (for a day trip) and i jump on the gua-gua's and go to some of the other beaches (playa craribe, juan dolio, etc). I had wanted to do baseball this year..but i probably cant make it down till late february or early march...so i will miss out on that.

any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

jj

:beard:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
jrzyguy said:
most of you probably know me from my threads and replys here for the past year or so.

ANYHOO...after traveling to the south for 5 consecutive years....i am thinking of traveling to the north to finaly check out sosua.

My travel buddy has come down with prostate cancer (he's older than me)...so it looks like I might be traveling solo. i HATE traveling solo!!!! I dont mind it during the day. I keep myself busy swimming, snorkeling and just relaxing and getting away from the stress of NYC and working on Wall Street (no i am not a banker but a graphic designer).

The problem i find with traveling solo is dinner and night time. Things work out if i meet some cool people while traveling and can hang out with and have dinner with and hang out and have drinks with.

SOOOOO....i am looking for somewhere new to travel this winter....that i can go solo, that is gay tolerant (perhaps gay friendly)...i am a discrete guy and am not chasing after every sankie on the beach....however..if i AM traveling solo i might not mind meeting a new...uh..."friend".

Would sosua be a good place for me? I usualy go to boca chica. Yeah..i know..not the best beach in the DR..but i like the owners at candil...i like the proximity to the capital (for a day trip) and i jump on the gua-gua's and go to some of the other beaches (playa craribe, juan dolio, etc). I had wanted to do baseball this year..but i probably cant make it down till late february or early march...so i will miss out on that.

any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

jj

:beard:

You are going to absolutely love the North coast and wonder what took you so long to travel there. I had been visiting the DR for four years before making my first trip North last year when I went to Samana to go whale sighting, and then to Las Terrenas to relax and enjoy the pristine beaches there. I returned to the DR for three more visits last year and plan to return in February. I haven't visited Sousa yet, but I have a very good friend who travels from SD there regularly and has nothing but fantastic things to say about it. He travels between Sousa and POP, resting in Sousa after long nights into morning in the clubs of POP.

I spend less time in SD now and am using the capitol only as a jumping off point. You should hop on a Caribe Tours bus and make the four hour trekk North, see the interior countryside, and enjoy. One thing, though, SD & Boca Chica are unique in the extent of tolerance for gay life, so you may want to take a companion with you.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
DUH!!!

But thhe north is so much different then BC- SD. POP has alot to offer if you look. Also La Terrennas, samana, etc. in the middle island spots.
Go forth and multiply.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks...i am really considering going north this year...and the bus trip thru the interior is something that ih have been interested in doing.

Again...i am still leaning to lame ole B.C. solely for the fact that i already know people there so i feel comfortable.

If only i had the time and money i would love to spend a whole month (or more) and travel from SD...and travel the entire coast till i hit pop...then drive thru the interior back to SD. Unfortunately the lottery gods refuse to smile upon me :cry:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
jrzyguy said:
thanks...i am really considering going north this year...and the bus trip thru the interior is something that ih have been interested in doing.

Again...i am still leaning to lame ole B.C. solely for the fact that i already know people there so i feel comfortable.

If only i had the time and money i would love to spend a whole month (or more) and travel from SD...and travel the entire coast till i hit pop...then drive thru the interior back to SD. Unfortunately the lottery gods refuse to smile upon me :cry:

Sounds like we share a common dream. Traveling the coast for a month or more sounds like a great idea and something to plan for.

But for now, forget ole B.C.; atleast on your next visit. Maybe spend a day or two there and then head North. B.C. will surely be there when you get back. And Lord knows the folks who call the north coast home are equally, if not more, loving. You're going to love it! Just make sure you tell us all about the adventure; atleast as much of it as can be told in mixed company. ;) Oh, by the way, when I traveled from SD to Las Terrenas in November [actually to Sanchez], the fare was only 200 DOP! I'm told that to go to Sousa is only 220 DOP! How's that for incentive?!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you are really starting to make me think. I wonder how much extra it would be if i flew into SDQ and flew out of POP...now THAT might be a cool experience. aggggggg...i am starting to stress here all ready.....i just want a chill vacation. one of my "friends" in BC was talking about doing a bus trip to sosua....perhaps that might work out. But if your read one of my other threads...he's a sankie FRIEND...who i dont want to be bogged down with.

aiy!!! so much to think about and get together in a short period of time. i am already trying to come up with more time and money to really explore both south and north in one trip.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
jrzyguy said:
you are really starting to make me think. I wonder how much extra it would be if i flew into SDQ and flew out of POP...now THAT might be a cool experience. aggggggg...i am starting to stress here all ready.....i just want a chill vacation. one of my "friends" in BC was talking about doing a bus trip to sosua....perhaps that might work out. But if your read one of my other threads...he's a sankie FRIEND...who i dont want to be bogged down with.

aiy!!! so much to think about and get together in a short period of time. i am already trying to come up with more time and money to really explore both south and north in one trip.

Seriously, don't stress it! Just do it! The North coast is designed for a chill vacation. Leave the sankie friend in SD. Like B.C., he'll be there when you get back. Once you've been up North for a few days you'll feel relaxed and renewed and you might even forget your sankie friend AND B.C. ;)

There is one more interesting travel option, though. On my last trip I flew Aerodomca back to SD from Las Terrenas [its actually Portillo]. They have regular flights to the capitol and cost $60USD each way. Once I drowned out the engine noise with the earphones of my CD player it was a very pleasant flight, even under cloudy and sometimes rainy conditions.

I'm not sure that I said this before, but the North American Humpback Whales migrate to Samana Bay in mid-Jan and are there until the end of March. There are several outfits that provide whale watching service. It is an awesome experience. I took advantage of it last season and stayed in Samana for two nights before moving on to Las Terrenas. The whale boats leave early [9AM] so its best to spend at least one night in Samana.

Even if you choose to go to POP, Sousa, or Cabarette, you have the option of flying a domestic flight back to SD. I recommend that you take the bus though; atleast on one leg of the trip. The countryside is beautiful.