DID DR policemen massacred Haitians in Haiti

Rapadou

Feb 14, 2004
As horrible as this sounds, I don't want to believe it. However news that are coming out of Haiti states that a group of Domincan Policemen crossed the Haitian border and massacred a number of the Plateau Central population. All to avenge the death of three Dominican Policemen killed for stealing livestocks of the locals.

What is going on in that lil island that we share. Will both Governments work to come up with a solution or if true is this something that might blow up to something much bigger than this.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
If this is in fact the case I would be very very sad and ashamed to hear that. I just saw "Hotel Rwanda" last night. All I could think about during and after the film was Trujillo's massacre of Haitians in the early part of last century.

I feel that this is a film EVERYONE should see because it ought to shame the world that we ever allowed over 1 million deaths at the blade of machetes to happen.

And it's hard to swallow or even deal with some Dominicans who feel comfortable spewing/endorsing the same type of hatred that led to a near genocide of a people. I would be ashamed to call myself Dominican if what you say is true.

Deelt

Rapadou said:
As horrible as this sounds, I don't want to believe it. However news that are coming out of Haiti states that a group of Domincan Policemen crossed the Haitian border and massacred a number of the Plateau Central population. All to avenge the death of three Dominican Policemen killed for stealing livestocks of the locals.

What is going on in that lil island that we share. Will both Governments work to come up with a solution or if true is this something that might blow up to something much bigger than this.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Cite?

Was this reported in the newspapers? Any newspaper? I have been away for a few days and maybe missed it.

I would be ashamed to call myself Dominican if what you say is true.
What should I be "ashamed" by the murderous actions of others who had neither my approval nor my endorsement? I don't take pride in the actions of others and I sure as hell won't pick up the tab for their misdeeds. I will condemn them as the failure of human beings that they are, nothing else.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
One of my haitian employees was badly injured in this attack. He had gone home for Christmas. We are still waiting to find out more news on this. Another employee also on break is missing. We are worried about both of them.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
It would be interesting to know if this is in fact covered in the papers/tv. If there is any basis of truth to these allegation and nothing, and I mean nothing, is done to capture these criminals and hold them accountable...yes, I would be ashamed. Why? Because these actions of ignorance that are a reflection on us all, before the eyes of an international community. In an time of globalization, that's as good as a brand name. But first let's see the news fall out and look at the numbers affected. I think we can start the count at 2 according to sjh...

During the floods my friend's church in the Heights did a fundraiser for the victims of Jimani...they raised thousands. A few days later this same church with the same congregation also did a fundraiser for the (harder hit) area of Haiti. Do you know how much was raised? $20.

Pib said:
What should I be "ashamed" by the murderous actions of others who had neither my approval nor my endorsement? I don't take pride in the actions of others and I sure as hell won't pick up the tab for their misdeeds. I will condemn them as the failure of human beings that they are, nothing else.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
deelt said:
It would be interesting to know if this is in fact covered in the papers/tv. If there is any basis of truth to these allegation and nothing, and I mean nothing, is done to capture these criminals and hold them accountable...yes, I would be ashamed. Why? Because these actions of ignorance that are a reflection on us all, before the eyes of an international community. In an time of globalization, that's as good as a brand name. But first let's see the news fall out and look at the numbers affected. I think we can start the count at 2 according to sjh...

During the floods my friend's church in the Heights did a fundraiser for the victims of Jimani...they raised thousands. A few days later this same church with the same congregation also did a fundraiser for the (harder hit) area of Haiti. Do you know how much was raised? $20.

If this is true, it would be an isolated incident and not an offcial response from the DR gov. or armed forces.

I would be more worried about "official" Isreali responses to isolated incidents (suicide bombers), by bombing west bank neigborhoods with helicopters..

Rapadou

Feb 14, 2004
sjh said:
One of my haitian employees was badly injured in this attack. He had gone home for Christmas. We are still waiting to find out more news on this. Another employee also on break is missing. We are worried about both of them.

My dear comrade It is with great sadness that I take the news of your workers, being M.I.A. Indeed the actions of a few may spur into the lives of many innocents victims being taken. I am tired of hearing these senseless killings and events going on this beautiful island that the two nations share. I am torned between the two, MY Maternal Grandparents are from San Francisco De Macoris, whereas my Paternal Grandparents are Haitians. And I in turn was born in Haiti, but raised in the US. I am proud of both of my cultures including my new found HOme the United States.

Indeed if this is true, it is definitely one sad day in the continued saga on the island of HIspagnila. Hope your workers are safe and sound, my heart goes out to them and their family members.

Rapadou

Feb 14, 2004
deelt said:

deelt, I appreciate greatly your concerns regarding abovementioned thread. I guess we just have to take a wait and see attitude to see what actions both governments will take to address this if it's true. Note from what I've heard thus far it appears that indeed it is an isolated situation. Let's pray that it is just that an isolated one that will not escalate into an all out of control situation. Let's just wait and see.

By the way deelt, I must tell you during the Gonaives Floods, as personally collected tons of materials from a Dominican organization in the Heights, which included clothes,food,medicines and so on and so forth. I had to conduct two trips with the rented U-Haul truck. I just wanted to acknowlegde that on here, the folks in the Heights really poured their hearts out for the Gonaives Victims and it was truly appreciated. I felt proud of both of my cultures then and now...

Again thank you for such compassion...

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
While I value the political and diplomatic delicacy of the situation you site the more relevant situation is the current genocide occuring in Darfur,Sudan. http://www.savedarfur.org/

But then again, if I recall our previous exchanged on similar issues, I would rather we not get into it.

Narcosis said:
I would be more worried about "official" Isreali responses to isolated incidents (suicide bombers), by bombing west bank neigborhoods with helicopters..

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
This is what I heard in the news, 2 Dominican Policeman killed a Haitian member of a band that were stealing livestock at night, then in retaliation the Haitians killed 2 Policeman and it goes on to the latest a group of Dominican Police when to Haiti to pay a visit to whoever killed his friends I?m waiting to see where this B.S. takes us............

BY THE WAY POLICE IS NON EXISTENT IN HAITI AS OF NOW VERY SAD!

Our building care taker WALLA went Home (TO HAITI) for Christmas he was due back on the 4th so far no phone calls no nothing when he left i gave him a cell phone............. at this point we are fearing the worst he is a great guy good manners and everything don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Rapadou

Feb 14, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
This is what I heard in the news, 2 Dominican Policeman killed a Haitian member of a band that were stealing livestock at night, then in retaliation the Haitians killed 2 Policeman and it goes on to the latest a group of Dominican Police when to Haiti to pay a visit to whoever killed his friends I’m waiting to see where this B.S. takes us............

Our building care taker WALLA went Home (TO HAITI) for Christmas he was due back on the 4th so far no phone calls no nothing when he left i gave him a cell phone............. at this point we are fearing the worst he is a great guy good manners and everything don't want anything bad to happen to him.

that indeed is very sad to hear, I guess the ball is in the court of both governments, oops I forgot Haiti doesn't have one as we speak. Well, I guess there goes the neighborhood.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Rapadou

Yes, this organization was Alianza. It is one of the few that "embraces" all of what we are. where I worked we also raised $60,000 for both countries, with dollar-for-dollar matching. I believe that Dominican community based organizations in the US are more politically enlightened. What I am talking about is the attitudes, efforts and positions of common everday type folks.

While I agree that this is an isolated incident, the perpetrators MUST be held accountable. Otherwise, it's as good as a stamp of approval.

I seriously doubt that it would be an out-and-out bloodshed. Knowing Leonel, he would not permit that. I highly respect his diplomatic skills. He is also some one that I believe will recognize the delicacy of the situation.

Best.

Rapadou said:
By the way deelt, I must tell you during the Gonaives Floods, as personally collected tons of materials from a Dominican organization in the Heights, which included clothes,food,medicines and so on and so forth. I had to conduct two trips with the rented U-Haul truck. I just wanted to acknowlegde that on here, the folks in the Heights really poured their hearts out for the Gonaives Victims and it was truly appreciated. I felt proud of both of my cultures then and now...

Again thank you for such compassion...

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There is a reason why this is so. To have re-installed a police force would have allowed for a circulation of macoutes, status quo corrupt "enforcement" running with personal agendas.

ERICKXSON said:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I beg to differ. There is a newly formed police force in Haiti, made up of Haitians under the auspices of MINUSTAH, the UN peacekeeping force. They drive around Port-au-Prince in brand new red and white SUVs nicknamed 'Coca Colas' by the locals.

It is true though that their effectiveness is limited, almost to the extent that they could be said to be nonexistent: they do not cover the entire country, so much of Haiti remains, in effect, lawless.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I was basing my comments on a meeting I attended about 6-7 months ago (soon after the self-imposed exile of Aristide) on this issue with some key multi-agency policymakers and progressive thinkers. This new police force that you speak of was the "temporary solution" found. But like you said their spread is centralized and limited in radius.

Chirimoya said:
I beg to differ. There is a newly formed police force in Haiti, made up of Haitians under the auspices of MINUSTAH, the UN peacekeeping force. They drive around Port-au-Prince in brand new red and white SUVs nicknamed 'Coca Colas' by the locals.

It is true though that their effectiveness is limited, almost to the extent that they could be said to be nonexistent: they do not cover the entire country, so much of Haiti remains, in effect, lawless.

Rapadou

Feb 14, 2004
Chirimoya said:

Chirimo, what policemen you mean those Minustah soldiers on vacation and the hired guns "Haitian Police", please say it ain't so. I'd be safer in a concentration Camp in WWII Germany, those guys are part of the problem, not the solution, sorry to say...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So WHAT If They Did?????????????????????

Everyone needs a little "Target Practice" once in a while!! ;) Maybe it will deter some Haitians from crossing the border illegally!
By the way,what does a film about a hotel in rowanda,or Israelis shooting "Homicide Bombers,cowards,killers of innocents,terrorists have to do with the DR???

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Killing of Haitians

Someone wanted to know if it was in the Newspapers. It was in our Newspaper. The Royal Gazette, which is in Bermuda.

QUOTE=Narcosis]If this is true, it would be an isolated incident and not an offcial response from the DR gov. or armed forces.

I would be more worried about "official" Isreali responses to isolated incidents (suicide bombers), by bombing west bank neigborhoods with helicopters..[/QUOTE]

jayt122

Sep 14, 2004
"so what if they did"

Let someone try target praticing in your neighbor hood. I hope to God I never run into you cause it would be ugly.