About public school in sosua area

gman

Apr 17, 2004
Hi,

We are going to live in sosua for 2 months from february 7 to april 7, and i would like to know what are the possibilities to have my 7 year old son go to a public school there. I'm not expecting a very high level of teaching (we will be doing schooling at home) but more a place for him to learn spanish, play with other kids his age and getting to know the culture. Is it a possibility at all? I'm expecting it could be done for a fee? Anyone with info would be greatly apperciated!

Thank you
Genseric

PS. i'm looking for a friend LUCAS MATEO, if you know him please contact me!
Originally from DR, he was living in Montreal, he has 2 daughters, he's an accountant.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Escott is correct. The garden kids school is perfect, and they might allow a 2 month attendance. Most of the teachers speak english, so your son won't be completely lost, it is a safe environment, and the level of schoolwork might even be beyond your son's level. You can check their website. - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I recommend checking out several schools. Some teach only in English, some in both English and Spanish. An American friend of mine says he much prefers the school his son (about same age as yours attends to some of the others because the child is becoming equally fluent in both languages. unfortunatelyi, I don't know which school his child attends, but I'll find out.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sounds interesting... but I would not place a child in a public school here before I have not investigated myself. You're not looking for schooling, you're looking for social interaction. I don't know if I'll put a 7 year old in a school purely for social interaction. I don't know if the school will be prepared to deliver social interaction and I question if this is a fair thing to ask of a public school in the DR.

Perhaps go to Garden Kids and you'll be sure that your child will be cared for, be exposed to a Spanish environment and will have social interaction.

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Garden Kids

Our son Jack goes to the Garden Kids school - and is VERY happy.

When we came here a year ago we chose the International School of Sosua above Garden Kids. We regret that decision.

ISS is expensive and - certainly in our case - not up to the reputation their fees suggest!!

Garden Kids however is a school that is certainly 'on the up' - check out their website >> HERE <<

Also, his understanding of Spanish is great - better than mine!!

Good luck and if you need any help - give me a shout !!

Regards

Chris

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
christremain said:
Our son Jack goes to the Garden Kids school - and is VERY happy.

When we came here a year ago we chose the International School of Sosua above Garden Kids. We regret that decision.

ISS is expensive and - certainly in our case - not up to the reputation their fees suggest!!

Garden Kids however is a school that is certainly 'on the up' - check out their website >> HERE <<

Also, his understanding of Spanish is great - better than mine!!

Good luck and if you need any help - give me a shout !!

Regards

Chris

Thats where I send my 2 step kids. Seems everyone is happy with this school including myself.

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
When i make the bigg move in september i will be looking into the garden kids school to as it looks like a wonderfull inviroment for my seven year old.I am teaching him english ( we are from belgium and speak dutch) and he is learning quickly.He is a great student here and i will resume teaching him at home but i also want him to learn spanish and meet children in the dr!
Kids make friends so easely and he is really looking forward to seeing the garden kids school!

gman

Apr 17, 2004
thank you

Thank you all for you quick and excellent advice! From what i can see on the Garden Kids website, the school looks great. I will e-mail them and hopefully i'll be able to arrange for my son to go there for our 2 month stay....

The only thing that i find strange, are the questions asked on the application... i have never seen such questions on any school form of any school, is it DR specific school application questions??? such as:
conditions of birth: type of delivery
difficulties during pregnancy
difficulties during delivery
was the child breastfed
did the child use a pacifier etc...

don't know, juste some unusual questions for a school....
but the school still looks great

Thank you

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
gman said:
Thank you all for you quick and excellent advice! From what i can see on the Garden Kids website, the school looks great. I will e-mail them and hopefully i'll be able to arrange for my son to go there for our 2 month stay....

The only thing that i find strange, are the questions asked on the application... i have never seen such questions on any school form of any school, is it DR specific school application questions??? such as:
conditions of birth: type of delivery
difficulties during pregnancy
difficulties during delivery
was the child breastfed
did the child use a pacifier etc...

don't know, juste some unusual questions for a school....
but the school still looks great

Thank you

Totally meaningless. The school is normal in every way, and Yves, the founder and director of the school, is great. Those are funny questions, but the school does have a nursery - I think they start at 18mos. or 2 years, so perhaps that is relevant data. - D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This is relevant data in most of schools here, and yes.. meaningless..
My son is 14 now, started school here in Puerto Plata at the age of 10... same questions... :ermm: