POP Break in

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I have a story to tell and it isn't very nice! I have first had knowledge but it didn't happen to me. This happened in a nice area of Puerto Plata.

Eaerly Saturday morning a woman's apartment was entered by (apparently) 3 men. They entered thru the locked gate of the building by removing the lock - no forced entry. They entered her front door without making any noise, or not enough noise to wake her. There is no sign of forced entry. The window beside the front door could have been opened but again there is no sign the window was forced and no noise.

They took her laptop, tv, personal items, her blue jeans, they entered her bedroom and took the cell phone beside her bed - WHILE SHE LAY THERE SLEEPING! They went into her closet and took her jewellery. She is a representative for a travel company. They took her bag that she uses for work. It contained most of her id, not her passport, and some money.

This woman is not a neat freak. In fact her apartment is a mess! These men knew exactly where to go and what to take. Her jewellery was in a box, in her closet, along with a bunch of other stuff... nothing else in the closet was disturbed! Now imagine all this was done in the pitch dark while she slept.

Thank goodness she was not disturbed or injured or killed. Had she woke up I am sure it would not have ended the way it did.

Some background info: she has been sharing an apartment with a Dominican man for the last 2 months. They have known each other 12 months. For the last few weeks they have had some problems.

These 3 men stole her car and left the apartment. They were seen leaving at approximately 4 am by a night watchman in the area.

The boyfriend returned to the apartment after 5: 30 am to find the door ajar and items missing.

The police were contacted etc. Her boyfriend's only concern was that he not be blamed!!! He insisted they would all blame him, as he has keys. He seemed to be oblivious to the fact that she coud have been killed. I also have keys but no one looked at me!

Now, the police were suggesting that her car had been seen in Monte Cristi. The boyfriend and the police concoct this story of her renting a car, paying for all the expenses and they drive to Monte Cristi to find the car!!! We talked her out of that idea....

Of course there is no expectation of recovering anything! IT is all gone.

I am telling this story to warn people. My opinion: she was set up by the boyfriend! No amount of security will protect you from someone with a key and inside information! HOw one earth would they get in so easily and know where everything was? I am not the only person with this opinion, it is shared by the police, her landlord and other dominicans!

Being naive and trusting is one thing! Putting yourself in danger is quite another! Be careful of everyone and everything!!!! Take immediate action if you suspect a problem. Get a dog!!! (just an idea)

Always keep a copy of all your indentification somewhere else: a safe deposit box, with a family member etc.

I am not sure that this story will help anyone! I hope it might. We hear all the time about crime here and this is another example! My opinion is that an aweful lot of the crime here is probably similar : IT IS AN INSIDE JOB!!!

I am concerned for my friend who doesn't want to see what is going on. Don't worry I took my own steps, changed my locks immediately. She has a set of my spare keys in case of emergency and he has had access to them.

The car has now been found but the rest of the items are gone. I will post more information as it comes available!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thats' sad, let's hope she opens her eye's.

If the police haven't locked the boyfriend up and beaten a confession out of him by now, then I'm sure they are in on it or being paid off.

What are the chances of him talking his way back into her bed?
I'm sure very high, some woman just can't see it, very sad!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The police were more interested in conning her out of money to conduct the "investigation".

HE was in her bed that night!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
Thats' sad, let's hope she opens her eye's.

If the police haven't locked the boyfriend up and beaten a confession out of him by now, then I'm sure they are in on it or being paid off.

What are the chances of him talking his way back into her bed?
I'm sure very high, some woman just can't see it, very sad!
How many times do you hear the same story with a variation or two?

I will wager she takes him in ASAP and fights everyone who says anything is wrong with the boyfriend. Let me guess, a concho driver?

Sheesh

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There's no news like OLD news!!

This happens ALL THE TIME! However no-one wants to hear/see/read about or BELIEVE it!
If I have a thousand "sankie" stories I have at least as many "breakin" stories.

What gets me more than this is the gringos with a Dominican "boy/girlfriend" who buy them expensive jewelry/furniture/appliances only to learn of a "breakin" shortly thereafter.....and "fall" for it while the boy/girlfriend's family/friends laugh their heads off at how easy it was to "score".
Of course the compra/ventas love it also!

Maybe your friend should make the rounds of the compra/ventas with a picture of her bf and see how much of her stuff she can recover! :bandit:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree.....

Not a concho driver, but close.....

I've already advised her to check the compra ventas.... I advised her to change the locks... I advised her to do a lot of things that she has ignored.

It is truly sad but you cannot make someone see the obvious.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Old Hillbilly Saying:

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!!"

She got what she deserved. B/F (Oh my, how the images do pop into one's brain with those two letters!) is richer and the girl just as stupid as the day she was born...

HB:D:D

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Amazing how many women end up in the same situation, and they never want to listen to the other women who have been there for alot longer than them and have seen it all.

I remember all the newly arrived foriegn women who used to come into my restaurant in Puerto Plata, and no matter what my business partner or I said to them they always came back crying because low and behold they got played.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yep. Auntie Lambada used to provide a shoulder for these poor benighted girls to cry on........but got fed up with her blouse being permanently damp! Now I tend to spot them in advance & disassociate myself. Which, planner, hard though it sounds, I would advise you to do. Have nothing to do with this woman...........no more key swopping, nada, just in case they've got you figured for next. You gave her good advice & she didn't listen. Why should you waste your time? You don't need stupid friends.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
So true Lambada, so true!!! I've already protected myself from the possibility that I could be his next victim!!! No thanks.

I am learning about disassoiciating from certain types of people, both Dominican and foreigners!!! It is at times hard to balance between being self protective and becoming truly jaded! So far I am hanging in.....LOL

This woman is young, naive and now it appears blind and stupid!!! I do believe that the companies that hire these people do have to educate them too! Unfortunately most of the people working there don't get it either....

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I would bet she fits my stereotype but I won't get into it so as not to have another tussle with Robert on what I can and can't say here. Even when you tell them what is definately going to happen same shlt, different day.

I do NOT feel bad for stupid people that do NOT want to listen even though they are usually the ones that ask for advice. Some days I see so many dopey people both men and women with money I just want to take it all also. Stupid people will lose it one way or another and maybe one day... Ah never mind. Not my thing, wouldnt want to have to hang out long enough with them to play them.

One thought however crosses my mind continually with these people. How the hell did they ever figure out to begin with to be able accumulate anything?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Those who don't learn from their mistakes, ...

planner said:
This woman is young, naive and now it appears blind and stupid!!!
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, will I ever learn?

Why do Dominican guys do crap like this?

Just kidding.
Put the rope away.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Scott, I agree 100% with you. I edited my original post about 3 times before I hit the post button :)

When you lie down with dogs, sometimes you wake up with flees...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Malibook said:
Why do Dominican guys do crap like this?

That should read... "Why do some Dominican guys do crap like this?"

Because they can and some people are stupid, gullible or so naive that they can get away with it, again and again. It happens the world over, not just in the DR.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Robert said:

Because they can and some people are stupid, gullible or so naive that they can get away with it, again and again. It happens the world over, not just in the DR.
Malibook said:
Just kidding.
Put the rope away.
Just pulling the legs of those who rightly get bent out of shape over ridiculous, ignorant, broad generalizations.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Planner, I'm sorry for your friend. But it is time to get some distance between you and the situation.

Escott - Robert is the LAW on what can be said here and what not... ;) Get it, he is the Sheriff! So, watch your words buddy!

Those folks who talk about generalizations - well, experience leads to generalizations. I've been in the DR going on 3 years now and intend to stay. I've seen this exact same thing happen 7 times over the past less than 3 odd years. In my whole previous lifetime, I've not seen it even one time - in three other countries. Normal relationship break-ups, normal marriage break-ups, yes. But the story about gringa shacking up with great bodied Dominican fella, all is well, after a few months the honeymoon is over and gringa closes the purse strings - and the break-ins start. Call it a generalization if you wish.

It beats me that these nice women cannot see the dogs before the fleas jump all over them.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Chris...

Chris said:
Planner, I'm sorry for your friend. But it is time to get some distance between you and the situation.

Escott - Robert is the LAW on what can be said here and what not... ;) Get it, he is the Sheriff! So, watch your words buddy!

Those folks who talk about generalizations - well, experience leads to generalizations. I've been in the DR going on 3 years now and intend to stay. I've seen this exact same thing happen 7 times over the past less than 3 odd years. In my whole previous lifetime, I've not seen it even one time - in three other countries. Normal relationship break-ups, normal marriage break-ups, yes. But the story about gringa shacking up with great bodied Dominican fella, all is well, after a few months the honeymoon is over and gringa closes the purse strings - and the break-ins start. Call it a generalization if you wish.

It beats me that these nice women cannot see the dogs before the fleas jump all over them.

Excellent perspective..."experience leads to generalizations..." I prefer to hear this kind of honest analysis.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Why do some foreigners in the DR do crap like this

Just something that happened to me .. I bought a few years ago a small appartment in a condominium in Sosua which I only use to spend my vacations .. Great was the surprise of my lawyer -who sometimes checks the appartment - to find someone in my appartment - . It was rented to a foreigner without informing nor me nor my lawyer .. All the money went to a person responsible to run the condominium .. we have never been able to find out how long it has been rented ..and I heard later on that I wasn't the only one to whom thishappened .. and believe me this guy wasn't a Dominican at all ..Since later on it has been settled and the person in question dismissed I don't want to have more discussion on this ; it just to show that strange thing happen not only because of some Dominicans
Robert said:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Planner, I truly hope your friend is going to be okay. While I hate to jump to conclusions, you know your gut feeling about this guy, and you probably are right. Let's hope she sees the light and gets out of the relationship before it's too late.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Like Robert says, you sleep with dogs and you wake up with flees. I only socialize with dominicans of equal socio-economico status as I am. many dominican friends of mine are way richer than I am. When I was away for vacation, house keys were supposed to be left with my dominican neighbor who constantly keeps a watch over my house. But instead my house guest left the keys with his lawyer girlfriend. She not only kept my house clean but came almost every other day to see if everything was intact. My neighbor was worried why the keys were not given to him, but he kept a watch over my house anyway. My friends kept driving by my house and my office to make sure everything was ok. I was kept informed of the situation over the internet. When I came back, I had realized that my computer and projector was given to my neighbor to be kept in his house by my guest (as instructed). My guest left earlier than expected while I was away. when I came back, I was greeted with a smile by my neighbor and given my stuff back. I found my house to be shinny clean and everything in place.
This is what you get when you make friends with the real dominicans. If I had a girlfriend whom I had met in a sleezy sosua bar, I bet my house would have been wiped clean by now.
My dominican friends took me out for drinks and showed me good nights out, even as early as last night. I didn't spend more than 500 pesos the whole long weekend. They all treated me because they were simply glad to have me back.
so folks, why deal with moto-concho, carwash puta girlfriends / boyfriends when this country is full of good people?
AZB