Need some translation help please...

sunrunner

Jan 10, 2005
New to DR1 so hope I put this in the right place.

Need some help with the language barrier. I am very new to speaking Spanish so it is pretty limited. Was talking to my beau in the DR (he speaks a fair amount of english) and upon saying goodbye told him that I missed him. Well, he didn't quite understand and I had no idea how to say it in Spanish. So please help me out. Is there a spanish translation or better yet a dominican expression for "I miss you"???
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!!

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Don't know if there is a Dominican term for it but "te extra?o" pretty much works in most latin American coutries. My Spanish friends use something else, I can't remember though.

sunrunner said:
New to DR1 so hope I put this in the right place.

Need some help with the language barrier. I am very new to speaking Spanish so it is pretty limited. Was talking to my beau in the DR (he speaks a fair amount of english) and upon saying goodbye told him that I missed him. Well, he didn't quite understand and I had no idea how to say it in Spanish. So please help me out. Is there a spanish translation or better yet a dominican expression for "I miss you"???
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Tu me haces falta, porque las noches
se hacen tan largas cuando en ti pienso,
tu me haces falta, por el recuerdo
que tu has dejado en mi coraz?n

Blimey! Now I'll have that stupid song in my head all day. :tired:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
xamaicano said:
Don't know if there is a Dominican term for it but "te extra?o" pretty much works in most latin American coutries. My Spanish friends use something else, I can't remember though.

The Spanish way of saying it would be 'te echo de menos' but that expression is hardly ever used in the DR. The two expressions mentioned above are the best for the OP's purposes.

Just a snippet of mostly useless information I thought I'd add. ;)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

Nuance wise don't you find "t? me haces falta" is much deeper than "te extra?o"?

Just wondering if you agree with me.

-Lesley D-

Pib said:
Tu me haces falta, porque las noches
se hacen tan largas cuando en ti pienso,
tu me haces falta, por el recuerdo
que tu has dejado en mi coraz?n

Blimey! Now I'll have that stupid song in my head all day. :tired:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lesley D said:
Pib,

Nuance wise don't you find "t? me haces falta" is much deeper than "te extra?o"?

Just wondering if you agree with me.

-Lesley D-

Could it be that it's more like 'I need you' compared to plain 'I miss you'?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

That's why I am asking if others get that feeling because to me "me haces falta" sounds much stronger but both can be used.

Chirimoya said:
Could it be that it's more like 'I need you' compared to plain 'I miss you'?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

That expression is heard mostly in songs but I agree with you 100% it is not as common in the day to day speech for "te extra?o". Actually it reminds a lot of the salsero "Eddie Santiago". He uses it more than any other singer I have heard.

-LDG-

Chirimoya said:
The Spanish way of saying it would be 'te echo de menos' but that expression is hardly ever used in the DR. The two expressions mentioned above are the best for the OP's purposes.

Just a snippet of mostly useless information I thought I'd add. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I could but I won't

I just bit my tongue...

ARRRRGGGHHH!

Get somebody that is educated to your level at least......."my beau" AAARRRGGGH

HB :(:( Curmudgeonly!

And he said: "Quiero vivir contigo......" Now translate THAT!!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
Chiri,

That expression is heard mostly in songs but I agree with you 100% it is not as common in the day to day speech for "te extra?o". Actually it reminds a lot of the salsero "Eddie Santiago". He uses it more than any other singer I have heard.

-LDG-

It may be a perception thing. I know that to me, the two are interchangeable.
After all the translation for "me haces falta" is "I miss you".
If someone has a better translation fot it, I would like to know.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
stewart said:
Yes, they can be both translated as "I miss you", however, it is because of a shortcoming in the English language, for once. "Me haces falta" implies more than missing, it conveys need and longing. It is hardly something one can find in a dictionary. Plus "hacer falta" is more commonly used than "extra?ar".

Notice how in the song I quoted above the author used "me haces falta", he not only misses her, he needs her.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Stewart,

Please see my posts above. That's why I asked for Pib's opinion because to me "te extra?o" and "me haces falta" have different nuances. I would not use them interchangeably BUT that's just me.

-Lesley D-

stewart said:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
Stewart,

Please see my posts above. That's why I asked for Pib's opinion because to me "te extra?o" and "me haces falta" have different nuances. I would not use them interchangeably BUT that's just me.

-Lesley D-

Just a matter of personal preference and perception.
Yo solo se que en mis conversaciones personales, mas cosas "me hacen falta"de las que "extrano".

wc3

Oct 14, 2004
And he said: "Quiero vivir contigo......" Now translate THAT!![/QUOTE]

Not sure here if what I read is meant to be funny; but it sure as heck is! I must be entirely missing something here, but ever think of "te extrano
mucho"......

"tu me haces falta" .......point: the perceived "deeper" meaning could be that the person being "missed" (tu) is the entity causing the "action", hence the sencond person singular "tu haces". When on the other hand, "te extrano" puts the oneous soley on the first person (yo) doing the missing.

In the case of "tu me haces falta", it could be somewhat intransitive; while "te extrano" is transitive. In essence, "tu haces" could seem "deeper" cause it's somewhat outside the "control" of the person who "misses" the other. While "te extrano", to me, gives "control" to the "yo", - I can or can not miss you, without or without your input (so-to-speak). But "tu me haces....".....you are the cause; it is your "ablsence" - your action (or inaction) that is the impetus for my feeling. Not much to do with "nuance"; it is intrinsically an operation of grammar.

But, again, "i miss you" wuld seem simple and straightforward enough to be conveyed between two "mates", that even the most novice on the idioms would seem clearly guided...I must be missing something, thus my interpretation of hillibilly's input.....maybe
wc

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
wc3 said:
And he said: "Quiero vivir contigo......" Now translate THAT!!

Not sure here if what I read is meant to be funny; but it sure as heck is! I must be entirely missing something here, but ever think of "te extrano
mucho"......

"tu me haces falta" .......point: the perceived "deeper" meaning could be that the person being "missed" (tu) is the entity causing the "action", hence the sencond person singular "tu haces". When on the other hand, "te extrano" puts the oneous soley on the first person (yo) doing the missing.

In the case of "tu me haces falta", it could be somewhat intransitive; while "te extrano" is transitive. In essence, "tu haces" could seem "deeper" cause it's somewhat outside the "control" of the person who "misses" the other. While "te extrano", to me, gives "control" to the "yo", - I can or can not miss you, without or without your input (so-to-speak). But "tu me haces....".....you are the cause; it is your "ablsence" - your action (or inaction) that is the impetus for my feeling. Not much to do with "nuance"; it is intrinsically an operation of grammar.

But, again, "i miss you" wuld seem simple and straightforward enough to be conveyed between two "mates", that even the most novice on the idioms would seem clearly guided...I must be missing something, thus my interpretation of hillibilly's input.....maybe
wc[/QUOTE]

Your analisys is based on english grammar rules. Those do not apply do spanish.
Do you speak spanish?

wc3

Oct 14, 2004
however, it is because of a shortcoming in the English language, for once. "Me haces falta" implies more than missing, it conveys need and longing. It is hardly something one can find in a dictionary. Plus "hacer falta" is more commonly used than "extra?ar".

Note: It might be innocently "correct" to state ""implies more than missing"....however, it is categorically in accurate to stae this as fact. It does not "imply" that, though you might have that "feeling". It does not convey more than "missing". You might feel hat it does, and you could well be so justified. However, to "teach" what you propose is in accurate. The "twist" between hacer falta and extranar go directly to the person of the verb (the person "doing" the action"); also, it is raletd to transitive vs. intransitive action.

wc

wc3

Oct 14, 2004
Your analisys is based on english grammar rules. Those do not apply do spanish.
Do you speak spanish?[/QUOTE]

Quizas si vd supiera lo que era el punto mio, entonces no hubiera responder con esa pregunta. Es decir que aun algunas idiomas , naturalmente, segun regles....to English, this "analysis" is valid. It is incorrect that you say "those do not apply to Spanish (sorry... "spanish")".

My simple point was based on transitive versus intransitive "voices' of spoken language, en este caso espan(i)ol......(not using my pc to the fullest, obviously.....re "tilde")

pero de todo manera, su opinones y , como se dice, "in put" is very welcomed.

wc

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Quiero vivir contigo: I want to live with you.
HB, where is your emphasis? want? live? with? or you?
:)
tu me haces falta: implies an emptiness in a person who says it that can be filled only by the person they're saying it to.
Just like:
tu me gustas: implies the person saying they are pleased or derive pleasure by/from the person they're saying it to.
imho
mkohn