Amsterdam to the DR

LocoZee

Jan 10, 2005
Hello All,

Gonna throw this out there and see if anyone bites...

Has anyone ever dealt with shipping containers back and fourth between Amsterdam and the DR??

If so has it been a direct shot? or is there a stop off in different ports? I am sure this varies a great deal but any information would help in my search.

Gracias,
Loco.

LocoZee

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks fellas, I should have been more strict with my question for the amount of merchandise I am looking to bring over it would most deffinatley be more cost effective to use a big *** boat. ;-)

Any ideas?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hey LocoZee,
you probably mean Rotterdam since that is the biggest container port of Europe. I would doubt though that Rotterdam has a direct line with any dominican port, maybe on their way to the Dutch Antilles, you never know. If I were you, I would enquire with the Rotterdam port authorities.
Bartolomeo

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
LocoZee said:
If so has it been a direct shot? or is there a stop off in different ports? I am sure this varies a great deal but any information would help in my search.Loco.

No such thing as direct shot from Amsterdam to the DR. However, You could truck your merchendise to zeebrugge (Belgium) or to Rotterdam. There is a banana boat leaving Zeebrugge weekly. You could get on that one or you may choose to ship out of Rotterdam. there are at least two services out of Rotterdam. They all take almost three weeks to reach the DR since they make port calls in Central American and Caribbean countries. Call Maritima Dominicana in Sto. Dgo for the Zeebrugge option.

D.D.

LocoZee

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks for all of the responses!

This would be a bi-monthly shipment of 1 or 2 40' containers. Shipping forwarders...about how much more expensive would this option be? Any Ideas? (it would make things much easier)

Also, anyone have a good link to current tax laws in the DR regarding importing? (especially from Amsterdam)

Thanks!
-Loco

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Shipping forwarders

LocoZee said:
Thanks for all of the responses!

This would be a bi-monthly shipment of 1 or 2 40' containers. Shipping forwarders...about how much more expensive would this option be? Any Ideas? (it would make things much easier)

Also, anyone have a good link to current tax laws in the DR regarding importing? (especially from Amsterdam)

Thanks!
-Loco

Contact a few forwarders and ask them for an offer. It may cost a little more than doing the job yourself, but it will spare you from many headaches and a lot of work. They need to know what you are shipping, how much and wherefrom and whereto.

wim

Jan 10, 2002
Hello ,
I think that you speak dutch . So the next message is in duth :

Vanuit Antwerpen naar de haven Rio Haina duurt ongeveer 10 dagen .Vanuit de DR naar Antwerpen weet ik niet . Verzendingen naar de DR is geen enkel probleem , het grootste probleem zal het importeren van de goederen zijn in de DR . Men heeft geen enkele maatstaf om de waarde van de goederen te bepalen , de douaniers bepalen zelf de waarde van de geimporteerde goederen .
Ikzelf hebt al verschillende prijzen betaald voor de zelfde zendingen . Via de luchthaven is het nog duurder .
Welke goederen wil je importeren/exporteren ? Sommige goederen mag je zelfs niet importeren in de DR !! Of er is een tijdelijke stop ingelast .
Kostprijs vanuit Antwerpen is niet zo duur . Je betaalt de douane = 75 Euro en dan betaal je volgens de kubieke meter , deze prijs is ongeveer 120 Euro per begonnen kubieke meter . Zodra je meer dan 15 kubieke meter hebt is het voordeliger dat je een container huurt .
Suc6 , Wim .

Limburger

Jan 13, 2004
contact EWL

why don't you contact EWL? I recall seeing in their schedules that they ship to rio haina quite frequently. Ofcourse all freight goes from Rotterdam, not Amsterdam. This should not be any problem, there are enough possibilities for inland freight. Another possibility is Anthony Veder or Nedloyd although i am not sure if they ship to Rio Haina directly or only via Puerto Cabello(venezuela) and Curacao. As for custom clearings I cannot help you as I've never done busines in DR but I've seen a lot of valuable info on this board on that subject.