cheap hotels in La Romana, also transportation from Santiago to La Romana

teachingbecky

Jan 10, 2005
Hi, I'm trying to plan a trip that includes staying with a friend in Santiago and also want to plan a trip to La Romana during my spring break in March. I've tried looking on-line for hotels, but they all are very expensive all-inclusives. Does anyone have any ideas of how to find cheaper hotels? I am looking for around $100/night if possible.
I also am wondering about transportation from Santiago to La Romana. Is Caribe Tours an option? Do they have a web-page?
Thank you so much!
teachingbecky

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do a search, child, of this website.

type in "cheap hotel la romana" and see what comes up. There are a couple of places that are not Casa de Campo or Bayahibe...

La Romana-Santiago-La Romana or just one-way, is a little complicated because none of the major companies is "allowed" to serve La Romana. Our stupid governments have allowed the violent bus unions from La Romana to control access to the city.

That said, there is good service but not any direct service.

Metro or Caribe Tours to Santiago or to Santo Domingo.

In Santo Domingo you take a taxi to the "Parada de guaguas de La Romana". When you hit the end of the line you get a taxi to your hotel.

I think I remember another thread that took care of this very thing. Type in "Buses to La Romana" and see what comes up.

Have fun.

Oh yeah, remember that March 18-27 is the Easter Week holidays here, so plan ahead.

HB

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi Becky,
last December I stayed one night in La Romana visiting a friend. I stayed in a budget hotel, Hotel Olimpo, on Av. Abreu esq. LLuberes. I paid 750 pesos which is approx. 25U$ for the room with AC, small cable TV, fridge, shower, hot/cold water, safety deposit box. It was basic but ok for the one night, the only drawback was that is was noisy since it's on a big boulevard at the traffic lights. Telephone is 550-7646. There is another hotel, Frano, on the same boulevard, probably noisy as well.
These hotels are in La Romana itself, so, no nice beaches in sight.
If you don't really need to be in the center of town, a hotel along the coast either towards Playa Cumayasa or towards Bayahibe would be a better idea.

As for transport, you will have to go Santiago-Santo Domingo first on either Metro or Caribe Tours (caribetours.com.do), then take a taxi to the terminal for the buses to the East and hop on a bus to La Romana or Higuey.
Bartolomeo

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Hotel Olympo

I have spent over 60 nights at the Olympo in the past year. As Bart said you will not see any beaches, however the hotel is clean, cheap and has a good restaurant. The best room in the house is a very large suite on the 2nd floor.

You are never hassled no matter how many guests you invite to your room.

Charlie

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Another option would be the Hotel River View in La Romana, which is on a much quieter street than the Hotel Olimpo. I have never stayed there but have many colleagues who have stayed there for extended periods (several weeks). If interested I could get the contact info.

If you would like to be close to the beach but not in an AI, you might consider one of the many small places in the town of Bayahibe.

All of these options would be way under 100/night.

teachingbecky

Jan 10, 2005
muchas gracias

Thank you! Sorry, I'm quite ignorant about both the D.R. and how this forum works.
Thanks for your help!
TB

teachingbecky

Jan 10, 2005
how will the holiday affect traveling?

I will be traveling during the Semana Santa. I know beaches will be crowded, etc., but will the holidays affect things like Metro bus schedules?
Thanks again!
Bec