rentals in Sto. Domingo

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Hi every one,
I've been offered a job in DR, and I need to make the final decision.
Looking around I've found diferent values for rentals, but as I don't know the city nor it's neighborhoods I'm a little bit lost. I'm looking for something like inside a condo, with 4 bedrooms, air conditioning, minimum problems with water or energy, service quarters, a nice garden, ideally with a swiming pool, terrace, etc. Is it possible to find something really good for around 1000 bucks a month? Or is it better to look for an apartment? Please reffer only to safe and nice areas of the city.

Also, I found this list in the forum, but no quite sure about current values. Please I'd appreciate you could review it and give me somekind of updated values, considering that we are a family of 4, and that I plan to live within a USD$4000 budget

Rent of a three bedroom house: RD$8,000-RD$45,000
Cost of power per household: RD$800 + RD$1,500 per air-conditioner
Cost of telephone: RD$500 per month unlimited calls
Cost of cellular: RD$500 per month
Cost of Internet dial-up service: RD$300 per month
Cost of water: RD$100 per month
Cost of a vehicle: RD$80,000 (used), RD$250,000 (new), RD$1,300,000 (luxury)
Cost of a taxi: RD$50 for routes within Santo Domingo
Cost of lunch/dinner at a restaurant: RD$200-RD$400
Cost of gasoline: RD$37-RD$43 per gallon
Cost of bilingual schools: RD$9,000 per month
Cost of dental appointment: RD$450-RD$700
Cost of medical appointment: RD$300-RD$1,200
Cost of household help: RD$1,500-RD$5,000
Average Monthly Supermarket cost for 5 person (family 4 + 1 maid)
Diapers (newborn) and wet whipes, are they available or should I buy a couple of boxes to be sent with my stuff....
Also, need a car, something like a Honda CRV, Nissan Pathfinder or similar, not new, but well kept....what about credit, leasing??
Ahhh btw, I'm a fan of offroad motorcycles...are there places where to ride? should I take my KTM bike with me or are there bikes to buy over there?

Also, should you have link to department stores or something like that were to get prices for electrical appliances is also welcome. The same for people that could give me a hand on the real state issue.
Please post your comments or email me directly to fco_edwards@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

Francisco

PS: I've done my homework by reviewing the forum for quite a long time, so I've seen the info posted. Now I need reliable and actual data for the "go / no go" decision....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I read this post and the one in the other thread, and will do my best to advise.

What you are looking for in terms of accommodation is likely to cost more than US$1000 per month. It is going to be on the upper end of the range on the list of prices you quote in your post for the cost of renting a house or apartment in a good area. There are condos and villas with swimming pools in several areas of the city, but the rent is certain to be even more expensive.

You would be advised to look at Mirador Sur, Bella Vista, Cacigazcos, Piantini, Naco, Arroyo Hondo, Esperilla, La Julia, Julieta and others. Any of these areas would be a good place to live, but you will also need to take into account the location of your work, schools and other preferences: if you want to be near the sea, park, shops, and so on. There are other good areas besides the ones listed, inc. Gazcue, Urbanizacion Fernandez, Los Restauradores, and several others.

The list of prices is mostly out of date, but I don't want to stick my neck out and update it off the top of my head, for fear of being innaccurate. It is not an exaggeration to say that in practically all the cases the prices have at least doubled.

The ones that haven't are the medical costs: if your employer is providing health insurance you will pay a smaller contribution for a visit to the doctor. I am insured and pay RD$150 or 200, depending on the doctor.

Monthly shopping bills can vary, depending on what your tastes and dietary habits are. We are a family of three and we probably spend RD$5000, if not more. We don't eat meat, we buy organic fruit and vegetables, we produce our own cheese, yogurt and some fruit and vegetables in the campo, and try to choose local products over imports as much as possible, but we do indulge in some luxuries.

Disposable diapers and baby wipes are available here, but they are staggeringly expensive. I'm so relieved that my son is well past that stage now.

Household help depends on the terms and conditions. We pay within the range you quote but we have someone coming in to clean the house and do the ironing just two days a week.

Can't help with the motorbike or car questions, due to complete cluelessness in these departments. ;)

There are some department stores with websites, like Plaza Lama www.plazalama.com - they have a reasonably wide selection of household appliances. Also quite good for household appliances is www.americanadepartamentos.com for the Ferreteria Americana, and www.casacuesta.com for Cuesta which is recommended for other household equipment and furnishings. There are other options but I couldn't find the websites.

FTR the exchange rate today is RD$30 to the US$1.

Hope this is helpful.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your move, should you decide to make it.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Chirimoya said:
I read this post and the one in the other thread, and will do my best to advise.

What you are looking for in terms of accommodation is likely to cost more than US$1000 per month. It is going to be on the upper end of the range on the list of prices you quote in your post for the cost of renting a house or apartment in a good area. There are condos and villas with swimming pools in several areas of the city, but the rent is certain to be even more expensive.

You would be advised to look at Mirador Sur, Bella Vista, Cacigazcos, Piantini, Naco, Arroyo Hondo, Esperilla, La Julia, Julieta and others. Any of these areas would be a good place to live, but you will also need to take into account the location of your work, schools and other preferences: if you want to be near the sea, park, shops, and so on. There are other good areas besides the ones listed, inc. Gazcue, Urbanizacion Fernandez, Los Restauradores, and several others.

The list of prices is mostly out of date, but I don't want to stick my neck out and update it off the top of my head, for fear of being innaccurate. It is not an exaggeration to say that in practically all the cases the prices have at least doubled.

The ones that haven't are the medical costs: if your employer is providing health insurance you will pay a smaller contribution for a visit to the doctor. I am insured and pay RD$150 or 200, depending on the doctor.

Monthly shopping bills can vary, depending on what your tastes and dietary habits are. We are a family of three and we probably spend RD$5000, if not more. We don't eat meat, we buy organic fruit and vegetables, we produce our own cheese, yogurt and some fruit and vegetables in the campo, and try to choose local products over imports as much as possible, but we do indulge in some luxuries.

Disposable diapers and baby wipes are available here, but they are staggeringly expensive. I'm so relieved that my son is well past that stage now.

Household help depends on the terms and conditions. We pay within the range you quote but we have someone coming in to clean the house and do the ironing just two days a week.

Can't help with the motorbike or car questions, due to complete cluelessness in these departments. ;)

There are some department stores with websites, like Plaza Lama www.plazalama.com - they have a reasonably wide selection of household appliances. Also quite good for household appliances is www.americanadepartamentos.com for the Ferreteria Americana, and www.casacuesta.com for Cuesta which is recommended for other household equipment and furnishings. There are other options but I couldn't find the websites.

FTR the exchange rate today is RD$30 to the US$1.

Hope this is helpful.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your move, should you decide to make it.

great, thanks, that's something...anyone wanting to share something else?

I think the list I found and you state is not updated at least by half, should be the main page of the sticky thread called "prices throught DR"...that would be very useful and would decrease this nasty posts of guys always asking how much, where to, whom with, etc....

btw, this is great forum....have a good night....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My contribution...

faer said:
Hi every one,
I've been offered a job in DR, and I need to make the final decision.
Looking around I've found diferent values for rentals, but as I don't know the city nor it's neighborhoods I'm a little bit lost. I'm looking for something like inside a condo, with 4 bedrooms, air conditioning, minimum problems with water or energy, service quarters, a nice garden, ideally with a swiming pool, terrace, etc. Is it possible to find something really good for around 1000 bucks a month? Or is it better to look for an apartment? Please reffer only to safe and nice areas of the city.

Also, I found this list in the forum, but no quite sure about current values. Please I'd appreciate you could review it and give me somekind of updated values, considering that we are a family of 4, and that I plan to live within a USD$4000 budget

Rent of a three bedroom house: RD$8,000-RD$45,000
Cost of power per household: RD$800 + RD$1,500 per air-conditioner
Cost of telephone: RD$500 per month unlimited calls
Cost of cellular: RD$500 per month
Cost of Internet dial-up service: RD$300 per month
Cost of water: RD$100 per month
Cost of a vehicle: RD$80,000 (used), RD$250,000 (new), RD$1,300,000 (luxury)
Cost of a taxi: RD$50 for routes within Santo Domingo
Cost of lunch/dinner at a restaurant: RD$200-RD$400
Cost of gasoline: RD$37-RD$43 per gallon
Cost of bilingual schools: RD$9,000 per month
Cost of dental appointment: RD$450-RD$700
Cost of medical appointment: RD$300-RD$1,200
Cost of household help: RD$1,500-RD$5,000
Average Monthly Supermarket cost for 5 person (family 4 + 1 maid)
Diapers (newborn) and wet whipes, are they available or should I buy a couple of boxes to be sent with my stuff....
Also, need a car, something like a Honda CRV, Nissan Pathfinder or similar, not new, but well kept....what about credit, leasing??
Ahhh btw, I'm a fan of offroad motorcycles...are there places where to ride? should I take my KTM bike with me or are there bikes to buy over there?

Also, should you have link to department stores or something like that were to get prices for electrical appliances is also welcome. The same for people that could give me a hand on the real state issue.
Please post your comments or email me directly to fco_edwards@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

Francisco

PS: I've done my homework by reviewing the forum for quite a long time, so I've seen the info posted. Now I need reliable and actual data for the "go / no go" decision....

These are discrepancies I found in your pricing scheme....

Internet dial up is about 2000RD for what they consider broadband.
Water will be 1000RD approx. ... they pay 750RD a month across street in new apartments. For a house may be little more.

You are way off on pricing vehicles.
Taxi...again way off.
Gasoline....86 to 96 RD per gallon.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Snuffy said:
These are discrepancies I found in your pricing scheme....

Internet dial up is about 2000RD for what they consider broadband.
Water will be 1000RD approx. ... they pay 750RD a month across street in new apartments. For a house may be little more.

You are way off on pricing vehicles.
Taxi...again way off.
Gasoline....86 to 96 RD per gallon.

Thanks, I know prices ain't Ok, but thats what I got from one thread in this forum, and the idea is to get the actual picture of living costs in SD.

Please keep posting, all info is valuable for closing the deal with my potential new employers...

faer

Jan 6, 2005
faer said:
Thanks, I know prices ain't Ok, but thats what I got from one thread in this forum, and the idea is to get the actual picture of living costs in SD.

Please keep posting, all info is valuable for closing the deal with my potential new employers...

BTW...can this be possible??? I found this add on emarket.com.do

HERMOSA RESIDENCIA, EN LA EXCLUSIVA URBANIZACI?N DE PUERTA DE HIERRO, EN ARROYO HONDO.

A UN PRECIO MAGNIFICO Y EXCELENTES CONDICIONES.

POSEE LAS CARACTER?STICAS SIGUIENTES:

350 METROS CUADRADOS
2 NIVELES
MARQUESINA DOBLE
AMPLIO JARD?N
GALER?A TECHADA
SALA
COMEDOR
TERRAZA DE ESTAR
PATIO CON JARDIN
COCINA
CUARTO DE SERVICIO CON SU BA?O
?REA DE LAVADO
1/2 BA?O DE VISITA
4 HABITACIONES CON SUS CLOSETS
2 BA?OS
AMPLIO SAL?N DE ESTAR O ESTUDIO
BUENA TERMINACI?N

PRECIO SUPER ESPECIAL, DE OPORTUNIDAD.

TE LA REGALO EN RD$2.5 MILLONES

PODEMOS NEGOCIAR.

it was posted 12/27, but with 31 R$ per dollar that's about USD$80000...pretty cheap I believe......any thought about it???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Either it's in very bad shape, there is some legal/financial irregularity, or it's in one of the 'bad' parts of Arroyo Hondo. The seller must be desperate! I'm not familiar with Puerta de Hierro - does anyone else here know it?

Our house fits almost the same description yet is valued at over three times that much.

Are you also considering purchase?

BTW There is a house where we live, in Arroyo Hondo/Gala, for rent. Last time I heard, they were asking for US$1,500 pcm. I don't know what state it's in: it's been empty for over a year. There's no swimming pool.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Either it's in very bad shape, there is some legal/financial irregularity, or it's in one of the 'bad' parts of Arroyo Hondo. The seller must be desperate! I'm not familiar with Puerta de Hierro - does anyone else here know it?

Our house fits almost the same description yet is valued at over three times that much.

Are you also considering purchase?

BTW There is a house where we live, in Arroyo Hondo/Gala, for rent. Last time I heard, they were asking for US$1,500 pcm. I don't know what state it's in: it's been empty for over a year. There's no swimming pool.

purchasing? not at all, but at that price sounded like cheap and your right that something might be wrong. Just looking around, building the big picture of SD....but still need some extra tips....

what does "pcm" stand for?....Also, if that house would be the one, how much rebate should I expect to get before closing a deal...for instance...USD$1200 would be OK???

as for selecting my home I think if we move to DR we will spend some weeks on a hotel while we look around for our home sweet home...and the arrival of our stuff...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
faer said:
what does "pcm" stand for?
Sorry - per calendar month.

Also, if that house would be the one, how much rebate should I expect to get before closing a deal...for instance...USD$1200 would be OK???
When you say 'rebate' do you mean your employer's contribution to the rent? That would depend on what you can get them to agree to.

DR landlords usually expect a few (3?) months rent in advance as deposit. If your employer is the tenant, you probably won't need to provide a guarantor.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not a bad Area!

Chirimoya said:
I'm not familiar with Puerta de Hierro - does anyone else here know it?

It's not a bad area, but it is way out. If you know the street that goes past the French yogurt place that's where its at. Overpass on the Mirador north bypass about where it starts. Gated community, nice houses, but far enough out that it was not popular. Sorry don't remember the name of the street that goes past it, but do remember how to get there. A little north and west of Arroyo Hondo.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
bienamor said:
It's not a bad area, but it is way out. If you know the street that goes past the French yogurt place that's where its at. Overpass on the Mirador north bypass about where it starts. Gated community, nice houses, but far enough out that it was not popular. Sorry don't remember the name of the street that goes past it, but do remember how to get there. A little north and west of Arroyo Hondo.

more than a 30 minute drive fto/rom downtown???

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
define downtown?

faer said:
more than a 30 minute drive fto/rom downtown???

whats downtown to you? about 20 min to 27feb/lincoln depending on time of day.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
bienamor said:
whats downtown to you? about 20 min to 27feb/lincoln depending on time of day.

office around avenida Tiradentis, near Roberto Pastoriza, don't know if downtown at all...

Bienamor, can you help me also with a quick update of the values and prices list I posted originally, on a 2 adult/2kids family perspective...I'd appreciate it...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
US$4k/month is certainly enough to live on down here, but it really depends on how much luxury you require. Your gonna need a bit to start things, the move, furniture is expensive, a good car as described will probably run you 15-20k. Once here you may adjust to a more economical lifestyle, which is a good thing, save a little more, consume a little less. Your estimate on schooling may be low, if the kids don't speak spanish, and you want them in the finest school, than i guess carol morgan is the place.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Naufrago said:
US$4k/month is certainly enough to live on down here, but it really depends on how much luxury you require. Your gonna need a bit to start things, the move, furniture is expensive, a good car as described will probably run you 15-20k. Once here you may adjust to a more economical lifestyle, which is a good thing, save a little more, consume a little less. Your estimate on schooling may be low, if the kids don't speak spanish, and you want them in the finest school, than i guess carol morgan is the place.

Thanks Naufrago...just looking for a simple but comfortable lifestyle, nothing luxurious, just middle to upper class safe and tranquil neighborhood (condo or gated comunity would be great), and to be able to travel and get to know that beutiful country.
Moving costs are to be taken care, and extra bonus for home appliances should be available also. No idea on how much will it cost to set up a home in all its appliances, can you give some kind of a budget? or where can I quote online?. (fridge, washer, microwave, TV, PC, etc...all al own runs in 220 volt, so no use in DR)
About schooling, we are chilean, so spanish is our native tongue, and my eldest kid is just 3.5 yo (the other just 2 weeks old) so the idea is enrolling just the big kid to a good private bilingual school but with strong english...just like my parents did by sending me to the most traditional british school in Chile....The Mackay School...

regards

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Nope

faer said:
office around avenida Tiradentis, near Roberto Pastoriza, don't know if downtown at all...

Bienamor, can you help me also with a quick update of the values and prices list I posted originally, on a 2 adult/2kids family perspective...I'd appreciate it...

can't help on the update, I live in the Colonial Zone. solo. no car etc. St Thomas is another idea for school, or the international school on lincolin.