Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Work in DR

Good day,

Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for work in Sosua/Cabarete area hopefully as an ESL teacher.
    Jamesincanada

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be real easy, don't know about schools around there but in the cities it's a sure thing. Much easier if your here already and just walk in with your resume and a smile. Pay isn't too much, but with enough hours and some private students on the side, it can pay the bills, you will have to hustle though to make the money mean something. School starts this week, so come now or time your arrival prior to next trimester. I came mid trimester and they needed me to sub and take over some classes of teacher that quit. EFL is really big business here, and there are not alot of native speakers to teach it. People on the north coast should be able to give you some specific schools to check. Anybody know where this guy/gal should ask?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The government just announced it was starting a major program to teach English and would be hiring a large number of ESL teachers. Sorry, don't know any of the details.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The government just announced it was starting a major program to teach English and would be hiring a large number of ESL teachers. Sorry, don't know any of the details.
    Really? That would be great. They did that in Montreal about 10 years ago I think and now most people age 15 - 25 speak English there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to those that took the time to respond-I have a friend in Puerto Plata that is also looking for me. If and when I find out more I will post it as well for others. I contacted a few of the international schools and they want a teaching degree. Just so you know-and thanks again for responding.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naufrago
    Should be real easy, don't know about schools around there but in the cities it's a sure thing. Much easier if your here already and just walk in with your resume and a smile. Pay isn't too much, but with enough hours and some private students on the side, it can pay the bills, you will have to hustle though to make the money mean something. School starts this week, so come now or time your arrival prior to next trimester. I came mid trimester and they needed me to sub and take over some classes of teacher that quit. EFL is really big business here, and there are not alot of native speakers to teach it. People on the north coast should be able to give you some specific schools to check. Anybody know where this guy/gal should ask?
    Thanks for your time-I'll keep watching and check the archives too.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrfkhe
    Thank you to those that took the time to respond-I have a friend in Puerto Plata that is also looking for me. If and when I find out more I will post it as well for others. I contacted a few of the international schools and they want a teaching degree. Just so you know-and thanks again for responding.
    If you do hear more about teaching avaliability in Puerto Plata I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr
    Really? That would be great. They did that in Montreal about 10 years ago I think and now most people age 15 - 25 speak English there.
    The explanation given was that this would help Dominicans get jobs in the tourism industry and that foreign tourists would be happier if the language barrier was reduced.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeachezNcream84
    If you do hear more about teaching avaliability in Puerto Plata I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you!
    No problem-may be awhile but will see what I can do.
    Be good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr

I must have been too young to remember but from my experience, ESL is crap up here! By grade 11 a lucky student might be able to say without too much trouble " The red car is in the street ". "Tom eats a green apple". "Mary wears a blue dress". Not great for holding a conversation. I say that but it is the same way for French immersion classes in English school.

What about FFL (French as foreign language) does that exist anywhere in DR's schools?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast