Work in DR

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Good day,

Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for work in Sosua/Cabarete area hopefully as an ESL teacher.
Jamesincanada

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Should be real easy, don't know about schools around there but in the cities it's a sure thing. Much easier if your here already and just walk in with your resume and a smile. Pay isn't too much, but with enough hours and some private students on the side, it can pay the bills, you will have to hustle though to make the money mean something. School starts this week, so come now or time your arrival prior to next trimester. I came mid trimester and they needed me to sub and take over some classes of teacher that quit. EFL is really big business here, and there are not alot of native speakers to teach it. People on the north coast should be able to give you some specific schools to check. Anybody know where this guy/gal should ask?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The government just announced it was starting a major program to teach English and would be hiring a large number of ESL teachers. Sorry, don't know any of the details.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Ken said:
The government just announced it was starting a major program to teach English and would be hiring a large number of ESL teachers. Sorry, don't know any of the details.

Really? That would be great. They did that in Montreal about 10 years ago I think and now most people age 15 - 25 speak English there.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thank you to those that took the time to respond-I have a friend in Puerto Plata that is also looking for me. If and when I find out more I will post it as well for others. I contacted a few of the international schools and they want a teaching degree. Just so you know-and thanks again for responding.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Naufrago said:
Should be real easy, don't know about schools around there but in the cities it's a sure thing. Much easier if your here already and just walk in with your resume and a smile. Pay isn't too much, but with enough hours and some private students on the side, it can pay the bills, you will have to hustle though to make the money mean something. School starts this week, so come now or time your arrival prior to next trimester. I came mid trimester and they needed me to sub and take over some classes of teacher that quit. EFL is really big business here, and there are not alot of native speakers to teach it. People on the north coast should be able to give you some specific schools to check. Anybody know where this guy/gal should ask?
Thanks for your time-I'll keep watching and check the archives too.

Nov 5, 2004
jrfkhe said:
Thank you to those that took the time to respond-I have a friend in Puerto Plata that is also looking for me. If and when I find out more I will post it as well for others. I contacted a few of the international schools and they want a teaching degree. Just so you know-and thanks again for responding.

If you do hear more about teaching avaliability in Puerto Plata I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you! :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Really? That would be great. They did that in Montreal about 10 years ago I think and now most people age 15 - 25 speak English there.

The explanation given was that this would help Dominicans get jobs in the tourism industry and that foreign tourists would be happier if the language barrier was reduced.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
If you do hear more about teaching avaliability in Puerto Plata I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could let me know. Thank you! :)

No problem-may be awhile but will see what I can do.
Be good.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Really?

Jimmydr said:

I must have been too young to remember but from my experience, ESL is crap up here! By grade 11 a lucky student might be able to say without too much trouble " The red car is in the street ". "Tom eats a green apple". "Mary wears a blue dress". Not great for holding a conversation. I say that but it is the same way for French immersion classes in English school.

What about FFL (French as foreign language) does that exist anywhere in DR's schools?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You would think with the DR goverment saying they have a commitment to training ESL teachers that there should be some opportunities coming up to teach Englisg to teachers. Perhaps someone in the know who post something here about that. As far a ESL working to teach someone a new language; it's like anything else; what you put in is what you get out of it. Poor teachers combined with poor attitude make for a lack of success.