Free Cable!!!!!!!

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
The other day the cable was out and my neighbor came over to see if it was happening to me too. We got to talking and he mentioned that he gets all the premium channels free (HBO, Cinemax, Playboy, etc.). The way he does it is that he knows a cable t.v. repairman who got laid off and now the guy uses some sort of microchip which he intalls in the cable box which enables you to see all the premium channels free. My neighbor's been doing this for two years and says he's never had a problem. I talked to the repairman and he mentioned that I needed to buy the cable box from him and total cost would be RD$6,000. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a good deal?

Thanks
Ramon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MONCHI8 said:
The other day the cable was out and my neighbor came over to see if it was happening to me too. We got to talking and he mentioned that he gets all the premium channels free (HBO, Cinemax, Playboy, etc.). The way he does it is that he knows a cable t.v. repairman who got laid off and now the guy uses some sort of microchip which he intalls in the cable box which enables you to see all the premium channels free. My neighbor's been doing this for two years and says he's never had a problem. I talked to the repairman and he mentioned that I needed to buy the cable box from him and total cost would be RD$6,000. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a good deal?

Thanks
Ramon

The going rate for hot cable box is RD$3,000 + RD$500 for the remote.
Yes, lots of people have "Telecable" hot boxes and never have a problem.

By the way, it's illegal. So I suggest anyone that responds does it via PM or email otherwise the response will be deleted from this board.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Its called theft....

...and you can also get a gun and go to a place called a Bank and take plenty of free money, too. Try it!

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Thanks Robert for the info now I know what to pay the cable guy. I find it kind of ironic that it's "illegal" to get a couple of free channels when the cable companies themselves pirate a lot of the t.v. signals.

Spirit7 all I can say to you is that you're seriously retarded for comparing cable theft to armed robbery so please STFU.

Ramon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MONCHI8 said:
Thanks Robert for the info now I know what to pay the cable guy. I find it kind of ironic that it's "illegal" to get a couple of free channels when the cable companies themselves pirate a lot of the t.v. signals.

Spirit7 all I can say to you is that you're seriously retarded for comparing cable theft to armed robbery so please STFU.

Ramon

I think you will find that Telecable and Aster pay their dues.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I thought that cable was free

You mean to tell me that there is a cost for cable in the DR? In my novia?s apartment complex there are at least 40 apartments hooked up to the same input.

Charlie

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
chuckuindy said:
You mean to tell me that there is a cost for cable in the DR? In my novia?s apartment complex there are at least 40 apartments hooked up to the same input.

Charlie

LOL. That was great.

In the late 80s/early 90s cable in that country was completely pirated, even by the provider! Things did change a bit in 93 when then Codetel purchased the cable company.....for the worst for Americans at least.

We went from HBO 1/2/3 to HBO OLE. Yuck! No more movies for me......not sure how it is now since everyone I know bought a DirecTV dish. If you give them a Miami address and point that baby NW in the DR, you can just take the dish down there and it works fine.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Down where? To Miami? What if you don't have a Miami address?

GilbertArenas said:
LOL. That was great.

In the late 80s/early 90s cable in that country was completely pirated, even by the provider! Things did change a bit in 93 when then Codetel purchased the cable company.....for the worst for Americans at least.

We went from HBO 1/2/3 to HBO OLE. Yuck! No more movies for me......not sure how it is now since everyone I know bought a DirecTV dish. If you give them a Miami address and point that baby NW in the DR, you can just take the dish down there and it works fine.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
DogsRule said:
Down where? To Miami? What if you don't have a Miami address?

Nah to the DR. Get a PO Box in Miami. Or hell just make one up and put your payments on recurring credit card. They don't give a damn.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
GilbertArenas said:
It wasn't Codetel but Tricom who bought a cable company.

I use Aster, I have more boxes than TVs at home (3 extra boxes) because the previous owner of the apartment had that many TV sets. I checked with Aster and I save 30 pesos per box if I return them, not worth it. I'll wait until we have a bunch of kids and need that many TV sets. The basic service is what costs most (I have Premium service). So far I've been happy with their service (except for the part of their not been able to accept payments in advance).