Virus?????

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
Hopefully someone out there can clarify and let me know if it is true that the DR is batteling a virus similar to the Norwalk virus up oin the North Coast. My family and I are traveling to the DR in about 10 days and I want to be prepared. Thanks to anyone with info regarding this matter
kathryn

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
kathryn said:
Apparently, gastrointestinal in nature w/vomiting, diarhea, dehydration.
Yes -- if one gets Norwalk. But I have yet to see convincing reports of actual cases of Norwalk or anything else that serious on the North Coast. Lots of panic and unsubstantiated rumor in certain foreign media markets, yeah. Did you read through the other thread I referenced?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
So far all I've heard about our colds, the sort of thing you expect with all the cold, rainy weather we are having on the North Coast.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sorry guys,

one of our posters on Debbie's has been diagnosed with Norwalk Virus. She was seen in Toronto Tuesday afternoon and I will be forwarding the particulars of her stay at Riu Bachata to Riu Hotels and the Tour Operator Sunquest Vacations Wednesday when she confirms a few details which will allow them to verify her stay, duration, etc. She returned home very early Tuesday morning (1:30 a.m.) from POP.

AFAIK this is the first diagnosis of Norwalk Viryus I have ever heard of at any resort in the DR although there is always speculation.

Gregg

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks so much for the info and yes I did read the other thread. We continue to get reports, infact two in our party are going through the whole malaria preventative tx before coming down as rec by CDC and thier doc. I'm armed with the usual Bactrim and Imodium foe my family. I don't want to buy into the media scares. Thanks again :classic:
Keith R said:
Yes -- if one gets Norwalk. But I have yet to see convincing reports of actual cases of Norwalk or anything else that serious on the North Coast. Lots of panic and unsubstantiated rumor in certain foreign media markets, yeah. Did you read through the other thread I referenced?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I like prevention, too

Just make sure that you wash our hands a lot before eating.

Do not eat anything fresh that you do not peel yourself.

Make sure your meat is piping hot and the eggs are properly cooked-usually you can watch them cook them for you-and do not eat on the street unless you are with me!

Common sense thing but people forget while on vacation.

Unfortunately, I do not think that this has been properly investigated, either by the staff or the RIU Corporation who should be very worried about this. Between this site and Debbies a bad review can do a lot of harm...

HB cautiously optimistic

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
educated info

:knockedou
Escott said:
I don't even know of anyone who is sick let alone a problem. I live here.
Escot Dear,
I really need to know from someone who lives there as to what is going on up on the north coast. We are to fly in tomarrow, the reports of illness continue to flow through channels, our travel agent just called to let us know that we could switch resorts from the RIU to Allegro Playa Grande by Occidental. Some say it's just the resort, others say the whole area and surrounding towns. Any howe town info from you would be appreciated. I'm eapecially comcerned because we are traveling with our 9 yr old. She is looking forward to the trip and has planned a school project on it. Thanks ahead of time for any info,
kathryn

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
Hillbilly,
Thanks for the tips. I'm sure it has to have been investigated properly. Do you live on the island? or have you heard any more.
Thanks much
Kathryn

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly has only lived in the north coast for around 35 + years and Escott and Ken live in Sosua. Many more members do too :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Kathryn,
From what I can gather the virus (if that is what it is & only ONE case has been confirmed as such) is at present limited to the RIU hotels out at Cofresi. The Canadian Tour Companies using that group indicate the problem is limited to te Riu Bachata, but as guests are allowed to mingle between hotels (one of their selling points) then if it IS the Norwalk virus as suspected, then this can be transmitted by thes mobile guests from Bachata to the other hotels.

Personally I would try to get Sunquest to change you to Coral Merien or Grand Flamenco (as they were doing earlier this week to other guests coming in) but if this is NOT possible, then another hotel in this region should be safe. You might find Playa Grande a little too far away from the towns of Puerto Plata & Sosua if you were thinking of getting out of the hotel to visit the countryside.

Take all normal precautions of bringing disinfectant wipes (for cutlery, plates etc), wash hands before meals & be careful of where you eat & what you drink & you will not suffer from the bug/virus or whatever it is.

Have a good holiday & stay away from anyone sneezing on the plane down ...... the bug could have been imported to the DR by a tourist!! ~ Grahame.

Edited to add after seeing your response to Hillbilly .......... NO it has not been fully investigated yet as that is in process at the momrnt. The Doctors in Canada vary from Norwalk virus to 'Don't Know' to 'Ecoli' to 'Bad Food Preparation'. There are NO verdicts out yet as far as I am aware!! ~ GB.

Last edited:

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
Bushbaby
Thanks for the info. We've packed sanitizer, Bactrim and discussed transmission w/our daughter. Hopefully, we'll not pick anything up
Kathryn :glasses:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Then the only other thing to do is have a regular & large local disinfectant by your side which you must imbibe every 15 minutes. It goes under the name of Brugal 151 & gets rid of ANY ailments!@!! If you DO catch something, regular intake of 151 gets rid of any internal pains & upsets!!

As I say ..... enjoy!!!! ~ Grahame.

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Hillbilly has only lived in the north coast for around 35 + years and Escott and Ken live in Sosua. Many more members do too :)
Dear Anna,
Thanks for the info, we're on our way with smiles.
Kathryn :glasses: :nervous: ;)

kathryn

Jan 11, 2005
BushBaby said:
Then the only other thing to do is have a regular & large local disinfectant by your side which you must imbibe every 15 minutes. It goes under the name of Brugal 151 & gets rid of ANY ailments!@!! If you DO catch something, regular intake of 151 gets rid of any internal pains & upsets!!

As I say ..... enjoy!!!! ~ Grahame.
Hey Grahame,
We're aware of Brugal, its part of the reason why we are returning!!
Thanks for the advice
Kathryn