Canadians in DR

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
To my fellow Canadians....Help, please.

I am considering moving to the DR from Ontario. I am gathering information so that I can make an informed decision. I would appreciate any advise you might have to offer and have many questions. Please PM me...

Mucho gracias,

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Many canadians immigrating to DR

Wow many many canadians have made their decisions to move to the DR. Maybe the moderators should open a forum for people wanting to move to DR.

DRShine

Jan 3, 2005
They're flooding the beaches!

It's amazing. It's a veritable wave! Um, no, maybe not, but it's amazing to think so many people want to move there. I'm considering this as well but there's still much that needs to be done and considered before I do anything. Like you MrNiceGuy, I want to make an informed decision.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Here is help

MrNiceGuy said:

I am considering moving to the DR from Ontario. I am gathering information so that I can make an informed decision. I would appreciate any advise you might have to offer and have many questions. Please PM me...

Mucho gracias,[/QUOT

My friend here it is. I'm from St. Catharines, Ont. My dad lived here for 30 odd years before he retired and moved back. He lives in Santo Domingo now where he was born. He left shortly after the war and he says it hasn't changed much, maybe worse. His house has been robbed twice while he was asleep at night. The first day there a car pulled up next to his cab and a guy got out, rerached in and made off with his chain right off his neck. And on and on. But take it from me and him, it is a beautiful country with great and friendly people . His suggestion to you is to stay away from Santo Domingo. There are many other places to go. If you want more help just post.

siren

Nov 23, 2004
Hi

My husband is Canadian. I am Texan but now both of us are Floridians soon to be Dominicans!

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
MrNiceGuy said:

Mucho gracias,

Whay makes you think that Canadians in the DR will behave differently than Canadians in Canada. When was the last time that you hugh your fellow Canadian neighbour?

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Escott said:
I would offer my help but I am from the United States.

Scott you just made a point and explained why "everyone hates the Gringos" We Canadians and new Canadians of different origins will only dare to "bash" our own kind/people, BUT DO RESPECT EVERYONE ELSE INCLUDING OUR NEIGBOURS TO THE SOUTH!

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
siren said:
My husband is Canadian. I am Texan but now both of us are Floridians soon to be Dominicans!

AS LONG AS YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO BE IRAQUIS, CUBANS OR HAITIANS YOU'RE JUST DOING FIND. IF YOU'RE LOCATING IN THE SOSUA AREA, I CAN RECOMMEND YOU TO BE GERMAN.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
MrNiceGuy said:

Mucho gracias,

PM sent! ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
PM Sent!:)

While only here for part of the year and our income is derived elsewhere I'll answer whatever I can......
Maybe you would post some of your questions to this thread so other interested Canadians will also have the answers!
Also do a thorough search of the board as I'm sure many of your questions have already been dealt with!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MrNiceGuy said:

Mucho gracias,

MrNiceGuy, please explain why you are only interested in input from Canadians. If you feel you have to rely on only Canadians for help and information, I think you should stay where you are.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can't speak for Mrniceguy but the request seems to me normal to me. If i was an American i would probably phrase my question "any Americans out there that can answer my questions." Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't say "I only want answers from Canadians. PERHAPS HE IS LOOKING FOR SPPECIFICS THAT ONLY APPLY TO CANADIANS such as Income Tax issues, pension issues...etc. He didn't specify. Mrniceguy ask specific questions and I'm sure you will get informed answers, even from people who are not Canadian, indeed you may get better answers since guys like Escott have a wealth of valuable information.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I was a little taken back by his looking for info from "Canadians only". I am always happy to help people here and even Canadians. I took Tom Gallo around town and showed him different areas and even passed on an offer he made on property which wasn't accepted and Tom is Canadian. I asked him a question for another Canadian about taxes for a Canadian living in the DR since he told me he was an accountant and he didn't even return my email strangely enough.

There are some of us here on the North Coast who freely offer our time and experience to folks with no return and nothing to gain. There are some on the North Coast that offer help only if they can make a buck on Newbies which of course I despise since there are plenty that offer help with nothing to gain. It is even fun seeing rightous indignation on this board from these same people. Shame on them.

Escott

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
:)

What is interesting is that I too am Canadain, am moving to DR in 1 month, and have done some of the research for my move on this site.

Escott is the MANN and when me and my girlfriend get there we are going to make you dinner (Escott)

He has answered many questions for me concerning my move - even relevant to my being Canadian that has really really helped. Actually from the help of some of the folks on DR1 one I found an affordable appartment the seems to suit all of my needs.

Mr Nice Guy I am Canadian, you can PM me if you have some questions. I will have some answers but if you have anything speacific you need to know just ask.

Most of the folks on DR1 are very helpful and know many things (at least the ones who choose to add consrtuctive advice)

Regards,
C