Young Canadian boy dies in Puerto Plata!

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
I need info about this traggic accident. It occured on Jan. 5. The family is close to some friends of mine and they had trouble with some details while there. Thought I could help by posting.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
google "boy drowns on jungle tour" ...there is a write up in the London Press...very, very, very sad, indeed

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Nelly said:
google "boy drowns on jungle tour" ...there is a write up in the London Press...very, very, very sad, indeed

That is very sad. If the boy was canadian was it on the paper here in canada?
Some news from dr gets to canadian media if the victim is a canadian. Last incident i saw on the Toronto Sun was the man from quebec that was shot inside the crazy moon disco in playa dorada by drug police in DR.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Very sad, and very avoidable. A competent outfit would provide life jackets and require their use, regardless of how "strong a swimmer" you are. Thank God none of those attempting rescue perished as well, which is often the case in these situations.

Nov 5, 2004
stallion said:
Some news from dr gets to canadian media if the victim is a canadian. Last incident i saw on the Toronto Sun was the man from quebec that was shot inside the crazy moon disco in playa dorada by drug police in DR.

I don't understand how the boy who died is from my area and there has been nothing in the paper about this?

I believe I did this same waterfall tour..but not with a company..just with my fiancee and some friends....The current is very strong..and I can swim, but not a very strong swimmer. I did feel safe the whole time though. My only problem was my bathing suit kept getting pulled down by the water as I was climbing up the falls!

It is awful this had to happen, very unfortunate. I wouldn't say this makes it necessairly an unsafe tour to go on though.

And when did this thing happen with the guy being shot in Crazy Moon? I have been to Crazy Moon many times...sorta scarry! Was he killed?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
I don't understand how the boy who died is from my area and there has been nothing in the paper about this?

I believe I did this same waterfall tour..but not with a company..just with my fiancee and some friends....The current is very strong..and I can swim, but not a very strong swimmer. I did feel safe the whole time though. My only problem was my <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=bathing%20suit" onmouseover="window.status='bathing suit'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">bathing suit</a> kept getting pulled down by the water as I was climbing up the falls!

It is awful this had to happen, very unfortunate. I wouldn't say this makes it necessairly an unsafe tour to go on though.

And when did this thing happen with the guy being shot in Crazy Moon? I have been to Crazy Moon many times...sorta scarry! Was he killed?

From what I read in the toronto sun, They said that it happened in the mens washroom. DR drug cops were going to arrest a dominican drug dealer, the arrest went bad. Cops shot the drug dealer, bullet wenr through him and struct the canadian guy. We was take to hospital and lost alot of blood. He survived with help from fellow canadians in his resort who donated large amount of blood. It happened last year I believe.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
PeachezNcream84 said:

I believe I did this same waterfall tour..but not with a company..just with my fiancee and some friends....The current is very strong..and I can swim, but not a very strong swimmer. I did feel safe the whole time though. My only problem was my bathing suit kept getting pulled down by the water as I was climbing up the falls!

the man was not killed but he lose one of his kidney and with chance his friend find people with the same type of blood of him at their resort because the hospital haved a lack of his type of blood. it s was last year......

but for the young boy I don t have see anything on the tv new or paper!!!!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Based on the newspaper reports,

Conchman said:
One thing I never found out about the whole thing was which tour did this happen on?

the tour was sold by Alegria Tours S.S. http://alegriatours.4t.com/

The only tour of this type I have been on is Outback Jungle Safari and there was nothing on that tour which resembled what was described in the articles. It must have been another version from another company.

Anyone living in the POP area could call the tour company at 1-809-970-0180 to inquire what tour they sell.

Gregg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I believe that alegria is simply the outlet that sold the tour. The tour could be one of many. I'll see what I can find out.

You need to know that many tour companies go to these falls. NO ONE provides life preservers, as far as I know there is no medical supplies on site and no one is trained in emergency first aid!!! That being said: there are many many unsafe tours here and elsewhere in the caribbean! This is nothing new. PRobably it states on the ticket that you go at your own risk.

When we have lots of rain the waterfalls are very very dangerous. I have done this climb 12 times and I would not go now or suggest anyone go now!

I'll see what else I can find out.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
stallion said:

the article was in the London (Ontario) Press

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
planner said:
I believe that alegria is simply the outlet that sold the tour. The tour could be one of many.
I agree Alegria was probably only the vendor however they probably only market one or two "jungle" type tours and it might be possible to narrow down the one simply with a phone call. I intended to indicate that since the Outback Jungle Safari didn't include the falls in it's mix it was highly unlikely it was the tour involved.

Gregg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
FireGuy said:
the tour was sold by Alegria Tours S.S. http://alegriatours.4t.com/

The only tour of this type I have been on is Outback Jungle Safari and there was nothing on that tour which resembled what was described in the articles. It must have been another version from another company.

Anyone living in the POP area could call the tour company at 1-809-970-0180 to inquire what tour they sell.

Gregg

Well, they could, Gregg, but it wouldn't help. Website is way out of date. The 'owner' on that web page, Rosemary, is a friend of mine, so I called her. She sold Alegria a while back. The office in Separacion no longer exists (thought that photo looked a bit out of date!). The phone number on out of date website gives you a recorded message for the Ovalles family! (no connection).

The new Alegria Tours office is in Plaza Turisol, near UPS office, I was told. Rosemary didn't have their number as they installed phone after they had bought company & moved. I don't have time today to pop over to Plaza Turisol, but planner if you're nearby may be you could enquire?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's correct, wud, these are known locally as the Imbert Falls. About 10 different jeep safari companies market this tour in PP alone not including those from Sosua, Cabarete etc. If the family bought the tour via the rep. then he/she should know name of safari company. If they bought it independently, then they, or their friends, would have to get info from vending company.

If what is written in papers is correct, my guess is the police report isn't completely accurate for a reason. Is this what OP is enquiring about?