The Palms

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok, I am moving into an appartment in The Palms, beside Tradewins and Caribe Campo in a couple of months. I know the area, that it is by the car wash (I can visualize the car wash). So here go my questions:

1. Has anyone ever rented there, and if so anything good or bad to say?
2. If you know where it is how far is the driveway from the appartements to the hwy
3 How safe is that are

My concern is going in and out of the Batey or the beach, We will be 2 girls alone and I dont want to go through being robbed - Also a Dominican friend told me it is near to the mountain - but then my agent is saying "no it is right on the hwy"

Any knowledge is welcome please

Thanks C

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hello C,

2. The Palms entrance is about 100 meters away from the highway up the hill.
3. Safe; except: avoid walking along the highway back to El Batey especially at night: if you are alone, you are an easy victim for robberies. If you want to walk; cross the hwy and go through the Villas Ana Maria neighbourhood to the main Batey street.
4. There are usually plenty of motoconcho drivers around or go down to the hwy and wave one down there. If you have a phone, you can ask a couple of motoconchos for their cell phone and have you picked up that way. Getting back from the beach or Batey is never a problem.

Bartolomeo

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thank You

I appreciate the 100 meter example - that gives me a much better visual pic

I am ok once I find a motoconcho - I was more concerned about the walking part of it, when my friend said I am sooo far away I was stumped becuase the distance from The Car Wash to The Batey is not far. I was thinking if the appartment is by the car wash why would my friend say that my apartment is up by the mountain? Anyway thanks for the help :)

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Which carwash do you mean?

C,
the turnoff for the Palms, Garden Kids, Trade Winds, etc is in the direction of the Car Wash but it is NOT near the Car Wash, at least if it's the 'modern', mechanical, western-style one that you mean on the right hand side of the road. It is closer to the dominican style 'wash by hand' carwash on the opposite side of the hwy where they often have concerts at weekends.
The turnoff is about 500m behind the modern Car Wash in the direction of Cabarete and the road goes uphill indeed but it isn't like it's 'in the mountains' either. ;)
Bartolomeo

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
palms

These are very nice condos with beautiful landscaped areas huge pool. security around the clock well kept and maintained. The palms are at the top of a hill from the highway it is and easy one mile walk from la roca , beach , etc but it is easier to take a ride from motoconcho. look if you have any questions write me i am one of the owners . Shelby

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure glad I don't have to use the motoconcho's on the higway at night (or day for that matter). It's not much safe, Dominicans drives like maniacs.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
:)

I am not so concerned about taking moto conchos or thier driving, that is how i have always gotten around DR

I just am not hot on long walks at night in secluded areas - I just dont want to be walking to get a moto concho and get robbed because:

1. it is a unsafe road
2. i am female and not a tough one so that makes me a easy target
3. It is a secluded area

In all of my trips to DR this has never happened, but this time I am moving to an appartment outside the Batey and I have never actually been to this particular Condo

I appreciate all the advice and anyone with safety tips, suggestions, or knowledge of happenings are welcomed and greatly appreciated

Thanks
C :)

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
If you want to be completely safe, stay at an all inclusive hotel. The Palms is in a very nice and safe area, but if you are on the street at night anywhere, you need to be careful. There are people from all countries and all ages that live right in that area, and they do just fine. You can walk to the beach and to all the stores and clubs, but anyone hanging out on the street late at night is vulnerable, no matter where you stay. The Palms in fine. - D

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks

mmmmm - well..... I dont think that an all inclusive resort is going to work for me because I am not vacationing, nor am I a tourist this is a long term move. Nor do I plan to hang out on the side of the highway. In the evenings I will be going in and out of the Batey and also will be going to the public cars in and out of POP. The reason for this thread in the first place is a friend of mine told me Caribe Campo is at the base of the mountain and I know that The Palms is near Caribe Campo, I posted to see if I could find out the approx. distance from the appartment to the hwy - my destinations isn't the hwy jejejejejejeje. Any way I am especially o.k now because I had my friend who is Dominican go and check it out for me so I think I will be good - I dont think it would be cost effectve for me to live in an all inclusive resort ;)

C