Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default beggars? i do my part.

like most of you ....i get sick of the b*stard beggars that keep tapping on the window of my jag asking for money..........this was particularly tiresome at christmastime, but as you know goes on throughout the year.

this year though, we decided that if they want our one or two pesos, we should make these people do a little dance for us first .....by doing that they have provided a service and have earned the money, as a result they have also gained some self respect.

we particularly enjoy going to the corner of ave. sarasota with abraham lincoln........why? because the beggar there is very entertaining. the poor blighter has only got one leg.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down At least somebody is entertaining then.........

So the point of the story?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let them earn it...

...if they can.

I think JRZyguy's is the best way. He once said he went to DR and had a child ask for money, so he told the child to shine the security guard's shoes (pls. correct me if I'm wrong Jrzyguy- if it was you) and he paid him for it.

This lets them work for it. I'm not saying make them into your slave, but let them earn it. They will learn that things are'nt always handed out.

If the guy is handicapped let him do something unusual or funny but not anything that is demeaning/degrading to himself.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry WOW, you drive a jag?

Quote Originally Posted by bochinche
    this year though, we decided that if they want our one or two pesos, we should make these people do a little dance for us first .....by doing that they have provided a service and have earned the money, as a result they have also gained some self respect.

we particularly enjoy going to the corner of ave. sarasota with abraham lincoln........why? because the beggar there is very entertaining. the poor blighter has only got one leg.
    Is this some sort of pathetic deviant attempt at humor?

I would hope so because it is hard to imagine anyone being so incredibly insensitive and immoral.
    How could anyone possibly derive pleasure from such entertainment?

I would hope that you are just a terrible pathetic comedian.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malibook
    Is this some sort of pathetic deviant attempt at humor?

I would hope so because it is hard to imagine anyone being so incredibly insensitive and immoral.
    How could anyone possibly derive pleasure from such entertainment?

I would hope that you are just a terrible pathetic comedian.

and thereeeeeeeeee was a sensitive woman....... He drives a Jag i Drive a grand Vitara and i feel the same way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Same problems surround me in my Mercedes. I wonder why it didn't happen when I was driving a Rolls?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Damn, same happened to me in my pasola.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy "There But For The Grace Of God,Go I!"

Dear "BoSTINGY",
    Maybe you are so unduly upset because you subconciously realize that you too could be a "Beggar" were the circumstances of your birth reversed.But I doubt that! More likely you are just an insensitive "Jerk"!

Here is MY solution to the "Beggar"phenomina.If they look "able-bodied",I just give them the "No!" finger wave.If they are missing limbs,I sometimes give them a peso or two.
    For me,life is too short to get all bent out of shape over people "pan-handling" on a street corner.And that line about asking them to humiliate themselves by "dancing", speakes VOLUMES about you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been asked to "Delete" this thread,but I prefer to let it stay for all to see,as a Monument to your Poor Taste and Insensitivity!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This kind of reminds me of a case that was in the news here in Detroit not long ago, about a couple of guys that would go up to beggars and offer them money, but for them to get the money they would have to fight another beggar.

If you drive a Jaguar in The DR then a couple of pesos should be nothing to you.
    Why you have to have people humiliate themselves for you to give them something is beyond me and I'm with Crisco in this one.

Every time I go to The DR, I always give something to almos everyone that ask me for money. In particular the little kids. Some people tell me not to give these people anything, because they will just use it to buy alcohol or in the case of the kids to buy candy or whatever...But my feeling is that in the grand scheme of things if I give a kid 10 or 20 pesos, that's nothing to me. I probably lose a lot more than that in change just sitting on my couch. Maybe the guy will use it to buy alcohol, but maybe...just maybe, that's the day he's got no money to buy any food and my 20 pesos will help him buy a couple of platanos...my two cents...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree ... treating someone with missing limbs like that is in poor taste and disgraceful. My cousins, uncle, & I were in Puerto Plata visiting the church & a one legged gentlemen showed us around the church, was very polite, & courteous, we couldn't help but throw the guy some money.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast