English Colleges and/or Universities in DR?

Nov 5, 2004
Does anyone have any info at all on English Colleges and/or Universities in DR??

Such as names, locations, ways to contact them?

If there is any further info such as courses offered and if all Canadian High School education is transferable? Approximate costs? any info at all..

Before there are questions...yes this is for me...and this is just the begninning of an idea I am having that I would like to research...

Thanks in advance for all your words of wisdom DR1-ers!! ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Presuming you are looking at English 'language'

institutions of higher learning...

No, why should there be?

If you want to study medicine, you can do it in English at two places: UNIBE and UTESA. Take your pick.. VERY expensive.

Better to learn Spanish ASAP and study in Spanish....

HB

Nov 5, 2004
Hillbilly said:
institutions of higher learning...

No, why should there be?

If you want to study medicine, you can do it in English at two places: UNIBE and UTESA. Take your pick.. VERY expensive.

Better to learn Spanish ASAP and study in Spanish....

HB

Thank you for the response...

No I do not want to study medicine...

And why shouldn't there be an instutution of higher learning that has courses in English? ;)

I can converse not too badly in Spanish...but I think it would take me quite a few years before I could even consider taking a uUniversity course in Spanish!!! Even though I am almost completely bilingual in French..I would not relaly consider taking a University course about something that intrests me in Frnehc, I would miss too may important points probably.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
And why shouldn't there be an instutution of higher learning that has courses in English? ;).

Is it IN a country that speaks English? No. That's why. How many Spanish language or French only universities are in your state?

Nov 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Is it IN a country that speaks English? No. That's why. How many Spanish language or French only universities are in your state?

I don't live in a State...I live in Mississauga ;)
But there are quite a few French Universities not too far from here, and I don't think it would be too hard to find a few courses in French or Spanish..

And seeing that many in Dominican speak English, and would like to be educated in English I assumed there should be a few University courses avaliable in English...

Does this reply mean you don't know of any?

siren

Nov 23, 2004
Continue the education

I am also curious as to any colleges in the DR. I would like to continue my college education (biology) if it suits my life and any opportunities that may surface. I'm sure there are colleges in the Capital but what about outside the area? Thanks for any help.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
PeachezNcream84 said:
I don't live in a State...I live in Mississauga ;)
But there are quite a few French Universities not too far from here, and I don't think it would be too hard to find a few courses in French or Spanish..

And seeing that many in Dominican speak English, and would like to be educated in English I assumed there should be a few University courses avaliable in English...

Does this reply mean you don't know of any?

A few courses but no French language universities in Mississauga because the market doesn't speak French - e.g. you couldn't get a degree in Mississauga taught in French exclusively. Ditto in the DR. I imagine Germany has a paucity of english universities, preferring German, etc. The med schools have English the regualr ones don't in the DR. Becuase they speak Spanish in the DR.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Thank you for the response...

No I do not want to study medicine...

And why shouldn't there be an instutution of higher learning that has courses in English? ;)

I can converse not too badly in Spanish...but I think it would take me quite a few years before I could even consider taking a uUniversity course in Spanish!!! Even though I am almost completely bilingual in French..I would not relaly consider taking a University course about something that intrests me in Frnehc, I would miss too may important points probably.

It depends on the individual, your motivation, and the reasons you may have for wanting to attend a particular school in a particular country where you do not speak the language fluently. I have 2 co-workers at my job from Taiwan who came to study in the US knowing very little English. It was probably double the work for them to complete their studies while learning English, but they did it, and are glad they did.

While there are not universities in the DR teaching in English (other than the med schools), I suspect some may be better equipped than others to provide support to foreign students. Perhaps someone has information on this.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Peaches, the only thing (outside the Med schools HB mentioned) I know of along the lines you're seeking is at ICDA. Check out the following link:
http://www.icda.edu.do/english/unicda/index.asp

ICDA used to be just a language/cultural institute with a vocational branch. I taught there for a couple of years in the late 1990s. A couple of years ago they were granted official university status (although I still have my reservations about that). They evidently offer bachelor degree courses in Business Administration, "Tourist Enterprises & Hotels" (whatever that is supposed to mean!), Education and Computer Science. They also provide courses for people seeking to be bilingual executive secretaries.

As the others in this thread have suggested (in their own distinct styles), in a small, poor country whose primary language is Spanish, you're not going to find alot of college-level instruction in English besides EFL.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2004
Keith R said:
Peaches, the only thing (outside the Med schools HB mentioned) I know of along the lines you're seeking is at ICDA. Check out the following link:
http://www.icda.edu.do/english/unicda/index.asp

ICDA used to be just a language/cultural institute with a vocational branch. I taught there for a couple of years in the late 1990s. A couple of years ago they were granted official university status (although I still have my reservations about that). They evidently offer bachelor degree courses in Business Administration, "Tourist Enterprises & Hotels" (whatever that is supposed to mean!), Education and Computer Science. They also provide courses for people seeking to be bilingual executive secretaries.

As the others in this thread have suggested (in their own distinct styles), in a small, poor country whose primary language is Spanish, you're not going to find alot of college-level instruction in English besides EFL.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Keith

Muchos gracis!!! very veyr helpful. I will look into this when I get back from work today! I'm late as it is..but I wanted to say thank you very much for the info! ;)

Californiana

Dec 8, 2004
Int?l MBA at UNIBE and Florida Int?l Univ.

UNIBE offers an international MBA program in collaboration with Florida International University and all courses and seminars are in English. There are a few English graduate programs with PUCMM as well. I think you will find most opportunities related to your interests here in the Capital. Not exactly sure about Biology programs though... check out the UNIBE, PUCMM, AND UNPHU websites good luck!
Alyssa

www.unibe.edu.do
www.pucmm.edu.do
www.unphu.edu.do

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A few more thoughts on studying here

Keith you know Amity is a very smart young lady who travels in Latin American and the Caribbean like it was her 5 acre back yard...

Peaches: I have at least twenty students from Haiti this semester, many of whom have come down from New York City with little or no Spanish-Creole, French and Brooklyn-style English, but really poor Spanish skills. They will be studying Systems Engineering, Medicine, Civil Engineering, Business Administration, Physical Therapy among other things, all in Spanish. From this I can only conclude that if there is a will, there is a way.

Now a caveat: Haitians, in a spirit of "island brotherhood" pay the same tuition and fees as Dominican students, which for people from New YOrk City or elsewhere in the States or Canada, is really chump change. You, however would be charged in dollars and at a much different rate. Places like Unibe are businesses and are run for profit. Also, your preferred course of study: "Biology" is not really an academic option here, but is seen as part of the curriculum for studying medicine or dentistry. I think perhaps only the UASD in Santo Domingo offers a degree in Biology.

So, all taken into consideration, I think you might want to do your studies in Canada.

HB :(

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hillbilly said:
Keith you know Amity is a very smart young lady who travels in Latin American and the Caribbean like it was her 5 acre back yard...
Yup, HB, I've had the pleasure of meeting the lady, so I know she's not only smart as a whip, but very nice and purdy too. ;)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Congrats! But as a distance study while sunning yourself in the DR, or will you be physically attending Shenandoah, and thus once again gracing Virginia with your presence? :)

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Unapec

Hi Peachez,

Try the UNAPEC website. The university is located in Santo Domingo and they give the BAC in Administration from the UQAM (Universit? du Qu?bec ? Montr?al). So you get a BAC from Canada but you can enjoy doing your studies in DR...
Hope this helps you,
MEL