Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best gas stations in DR? DR drivers where do you buy your gas?

Just wondering which gas station does everyone get their gas from? I usually get my from Texaco. I know there are many like Esso, Shell, Isla and others.
    Are all the gas the same or some offer premium better gas? Any suggestions. Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I BUY MY GAS ONCE A WEEK FROM SHELL and sometimes from Texaco.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In Sosua I buy my gas from Coastal only.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the price of gas is set by the government, thus it doesn't make a difference where you buy it as far as price is concerned. Service is a different matter.

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn
    I thought the price of gas is set by the government, thus it doesn't make a difference where you buy it as far as price is concerned. Service is a different matter.
    Just to put you on the right track, nobody asked anything about the price. I am just asking which gas station is best in terms of quality and which gas company DR1 members buy their gas.

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Stallion,
    As I understand it, all but Coastal use petrol from the same refinery in the DR, so in terms of fuel quality, I doubt there's a significant difference between Texaco, Shell & Isla in the DR. And as Suarezn points out, no price competition between them either. So it usually all boils down to convenience, level of service at the individual station level and trust. Why do I add the last factor? Well, when I lived in SD (in the pre-Coastal years), I went to the Texaco 2 blocks from my home because of its convenience. Then one day they sold me gasoline full of water that harmed my fuel pump. After that, never again, only went to Shell (whom I never patronize in the US because their price is almost always higher than everyone else's).
    Regards,
    Keith

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

How much is a gallon of gas these days?
    I am trying to decide weather to rent a car or use taxis and busses on the next trip. Wondering which is more ecnomical.

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R
    Stallion,
    As I understand it, all but Coastal use petrol from the same refinery in the DR, so in terms of fuel quality, I doubt there's a significant difference between Texaco, Shell & Isla in the DR. And as Suarezn points out, no price competition between them either. So it usually all boils down to convenience, level of service at the individual station level and trust. Why do I add the last factor? Well, when I lived in SD (in the pre-Coastal years), I went to the Texaco 2 blocks from my home because of its convenience. Then one day they sold me gasoline full of water that harmed my fuel pump. After that, never again, only went to Shell (whom I never patronize in the US because their price is almost always higher than everyone else's).
    Regards,
    Keith
    Thanks You have answered my my questions. I thought all he companies offer differnent gas. Thanks for mentioning the water mixed with gas, Fraud does exist, Some gas stations cheat you on the anount. Once I asked for $700rd worth of gas and I only got $450rd worth. So from Now on I use the same gas station and always check the pump display for correct amount.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Stallion: There's no need to get so worked up over a post. All I said was that there's really no difference between gas companies in The DR, other than the service level, since (as Keith mentioned) the gas and prices all come from the same place, as far as I understand it.

In terms of fraud (a more interesting topic, if you ask me), you should always look at the pump BEFORE they start pumping your gas and make sure is set at Zero. Even then, I would think most if not all pumps are probably "fixed" to dispense a little less than what they should and everyone knows that they add water to the gas to make a bigger profit. It's just a way of life in The DR. The problem is that in some cases they go to far and add too much water (like in Keith's case). Another trick is to sell you regular gas passed as Premium. The reason why I always buy the cheapest type. Think about it...Does anyone have a clue whether the gas being pumped is regular or premium? As far as I know there's no government entity that checks for purity or type, at least on a regular basis.

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn
    Stallion: There's no need to get so worked up over a post. All I said was that there's really no difference between gas companies in The DR, other than the service level, since (as Keith mentioned) the gas and prices all come from the same place, as far as I understand it.

In terms of fraud (a more interesting topic, if you ask me), you should always look at the pump BEFORE they start pumping your gas and make sure is set at Zero. Even then, I would think most if not all pumps are probably "fixed" to dispense a little less than what they should and everyone knows that they add water to the gas to make a bigger profit. It's just a way of life in The DR. The problem is that in some cases they go to far and add too much water (like in Keith's case). Another trick is to sell you regular gas passed as Premium. The reason why I always buy the cheapest type. Think about it...Does anyone have a clue whether the gas being pumped is regular or premium? As far as I know there's no government entity that checks for purity or type, at least on a regular basis.
    No I am not worked up. I just wanted to make my topic clear. You know how some people on this forum are. They will think I am looking for cheaper gas, and they will start to say crazy things. That's all, nothing else. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast