10 Digit Telephone Calls - Heads Up

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is a short article in today's Listin advising telephone service in the country will be advancing to a 10 digit structure from the 7 digit service now in place. Calls within the country, beginning from January 31, will require 10 digits to connect your call.

There is going to be a lot of reprograming of the cellulars.

Link: In Spanish
www.listin.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep11.htm

Happy reprograming and
Regards,
PJT

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This is usually a preliminary for

PJT said:
There is a short article in today's Listin advising telephone service in the country will be advancing to a 10 digit structure from the 7 digit service now in place. Calls within the country, beginning from January 31, will require 10 digits to connect your call.

Happy reprograming and
Regards,
PJT

splitting what was previously one area code into two. Since there are only 9,999,999 possible numbers in a 7 didget calling system, as they get closer to that number they go to they 10 didget dialing first, and then phase in the new area code later.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised, with as many cellphones as you see in the DR these days. Also, I know the 809 area also included Haiti, and I believe 1 or 2 other carribean nations as well.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
nope

sweetdbt said:
splitting what was previously one area code into two. Since there are only 9,999,999 possible numbers in a 7 didget calling system, as they get closer to that number they go to they 10 didget dialing first, and then phase in the new area code later.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised, with as many cellphones as you see in the DR these days. Also, I know the 809 area also included Haiti, and I believe 1 or 2 other carribean nations as well.

Haiti was never included in the 809 area code, used to contain Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. but they have each have had their own for a good 5 years, puerto rico has areas 787/939 and US virgin islands has area 340. Every one wanted off area 809 because of the fraud and some US phone companys were blocking access to area code 809 due to the fraud. this was all in the late nineties.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
PJT, thanks for the reminder. There was something about this in the dr1 news summary not too long ago, but I had forgotten all about the impending change.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Who will remain (809)?

PJT said:

Happy reprograming and
Regards,
PJT

Will POP stay 809 or will it change to something else? How about Santiago? Will all cell phones be the same or divided also?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Does anyone know for sure if cell phones will also require the 809?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Oh man, I hate the idea of all this reprograming... I too want to know about the cell phones....

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Expect to reprogram

Planner,

Expect to reprogram, especially when the country is going to be split into two zones. Remember, the culture demands anything done in this country is not done on schedule or correct the first time.

Regards,

PJT

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I expect you are very correct PJT... oh man.... Okay, anyone know if it applies to cell phones too? I assume it does.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I noted that the dr1 news summary specifically said that cell phones would have to be reprogramed. Can I assume that was an informed statement, Robert, or was it speculation?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Think reprogramming

Folks.

When the country is set up into two zones (maybe) the phone service will have in theory, double the availability of new phone numbers to assign. They will have the option of issuing two phone numbers with same 7 digits suffix, take for example 888-5555. One will be assigned for the 809 prefix and the other the 829 prefix. 809-888-5555 could be in Santo Domingo and 829-888-5555 could be in Santiago.

When the changeover date arrives if you do not program the prefix 809 / 829, how is the phone service provider going to know where to route the phone call, Santo Domingo or Santiago ????

Think reprogramming.

Regards,
PJT

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
bienamor said:
Haiti was never included in the 809 area code, used to contain Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. but they have each have had their own for a good 5 years, puerto rico has areas 787/939 and US virgin islands has area 340. Every one wanted off area 809 because of the fraud and some US phone companys were blocking access to area code 809 due to the fraud. this was all in the late nineties.

Thanks for the correction. My amiga was visiting her father in Haiti (or so she told me), and the number she gave me to call her was an 809 number, but I don't know the exact location, so I suppose it could have been close enough to the border to be on the Dominican system. I guess my other info was just out of date.

eucalyptus

Jan 14, 2005
planner said:
I expect you are very correct PJT... oh man.... Okay, anyone know if it applies to cell phones too? I assume it does.

actually even now, you can choose to include area code when saving phone numbers. On my phone, I had that habit from the US to save area codes. the lazier way to do it is to tell ur friend to call u and using the incoming call number, save it cuz it comes with the area code. u can start now to get into the habit. it works.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
When I receive calls on my Verizon cell phone it automatically logs the extra digits. HOWEVER, if I just try to dial them back it won't go thru. I have to get rid of the 809 before it will go thru.

I am going to have little tiny stumps where my fingers used to be from reprogramming! I have over 300 numbers in this #%(&)(^T$)(*%& phone......LOL

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
planner said:
When I receive calls on my Verizon cell phone it automatically logs the extra digits. HOWEVER, if I just try to dial them back it won't go thru. I have to get rid of the 809 before it will go thru.

I tried dialing my home phone with my Orange cell using the 809 and it worked.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good idea, I just tried calling my office from my cell phone (by the way, I"m sitting in my office)

Didn't work!!! Must be a verizon thing...