Road Conditions near Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novagringo

Jan 13, 2005
First of all, wanted to say that this is a great resource! My wife and two other couples have rented a villa in Costambar, and we are torn over renting a car, or relying on taxis to explore the North Coast. One of our party is an avid Scuba Diver, so we will need to get her to Sosua at least 4 or 5 times. We would also like to visit Confresi, Samana and Puerto Plata City. I see on the front page of DR1, that there are some road problems due to the rain. Should this deter us from renting a car?

Thanks,

Chris from Nothern Virginia

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No it shouldn't. The most affected road is the mountain road, Carretera Turistica, from Puerto Plata to Santiago & you don't mention Santiago in your list of destinations. Drive in daylight & you should see the potholes (everywhere!) before you hit them. Personally, I'd be more concerned about other drivers than the state of the roads, if you are new to driving here. Exercise due caution & prudent speed, even if no-one else does. And if someone is sitting on your tail hooting like crazy, either ignore them or let them overtake you. Do not let them pressurise you to drive faster than your comfort level.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambada said:
No it shouldn't. The most affected road is the mountain road, Carretera Turistica, from Puerto Plata to Santiago & you don't mention Santiago in your list of destinations. Drive in daylight & you should see the potholes (everywhere!) before you hit them. Personally, I'd be more concerned about other drivers than the state of the roads, if you are new to driving here. Exercise due caution & prudent speed, even if no-one else does. And if someone is sitting on your tail hooting like crazy, either ignore them or let them overtake you. Do not let them pressurise you to drive faster than your comfort level.

Congratulations Lambada, on not falling into the trap that so many of the expats who post here do regarding driving in the DR. What I am talking about is the assumption that every "newbie" is a timid incompetent who will not be able to handle it. I rented a car on my very first trip, and continue to do so. I'm certainly not saying that there aren't safe and competent Dominican cabbies, but I personally feel much safer when I am in control of the wheel.
About a half hour to adjust each time I arrive, and then I'm fine.

There's nothing like the feeling of knowing that anytime I want, I can throw my bags in the trunk, get out the B & B map, and hit the road. The idea that riding around with someone else driving for a while will somehow make you more prepared to drive yourself just doesn't fly with me.

On the other hand, if you are not a confident and skilled driver, (for instance, you find yourself stressed out by driving in big-city traffic anywhere) you may want to leave the driving to others.

I agree that there are some places you should not drive at night in the DR, no matter how experienced you are. The Dominicans will tell you. "Es peligroso manejar alli en la noche." (excuse Spanish errors por favor).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
novagringo said:
First of all, wanted to say that this is a great resource! My wife and two other couples have rented a villa in Costambar, and we are torn over renting a car, or relying on taxis to explore the North Coast. One of our party is an avid Scuba Diver, so we will need to get her to Sosua at least 4 or 5 times. We would also like to visit Confresi, Samana and Puerto Plata City. I see on the front page of DR1, that there are some road problems due to the rain. Should this deter us from renting a car?

Thanks,

Chris from Nothern Virginia
Welcome to DR1, Chris. There's a growing number of us from the DC area on this board. I live in Alexandria. How about you? We had a local DR1 get-together last August at my house; hope you, your wife and friends can join us at the next one.

If you're used to driving in NVa, you'll probably do ok with a rental on the North Coast as long as you watch your speed and drive defensively. It's Santo Domingo where the driving is the craziest (take it from someone who used to live there!). Just think of driving on the North Coast as driving the busy & pot-hole ridden streets of DC, but with the crazy driving of the Beltway and no working traffic lights, and you should manage. It is adviseable not to drive after dark if you're not accustomed to DR night driving -- people walk animals etc walk the dark roads and the potholes can be difficult to see, so you may be a nervous wreck by the time you reach your destination from all the dodging and scares. :ermm:

Best Regards,
Keith

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Escott said:
Your posts remind me of post of a farmer from Georgia who no longer posts here.

I guess that was for me? Not sure if I should take it as a compliment, an insult, or a feeler to determine if I'm the same guy.

I'm a social worker from Virginia (about 2 1/2 hours south of you Keith), hoping to retire soon to the DR. I do love peanuts however. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
novagringo said:
One of our party is an avid Scuba Diver, so we will need to get her to Sosua at least 4 or 5 times.

If your friend is an avid scuba diver, I suggest you head out to Monte Cristi. Check in one of the small hotels and ask and ask to find a dive operation or a local fisherman with a boat who is in the know. They will take you out to some of the best preserved coral reefs in the Caribbean.

Monte Cristi is relatively easy to get to. You will have to take the Puerto Plata road to the crossing that goes to Santiago or Navarrette. Actually it is the main road leading north that just continues north instead of swerving to hit the Puerto Plata road. Take that road (I believe it is RD1 all the way to Monte Cristi.

You may also want to check out the sand bar of Cayo Arenas (Paradise Island), highly recommended. To get there, you need to reach Punta Rucia and from there rent a boat. You would have to overnight in Punta Rucia to arrange for the boat -- probably RD$1,500-RD$2,000 for a morning trip.
There are small hotels where you can stay.

If you go to Punta Rucia, drop by La Ensenada for great centollas (giant crabs) stewed, Dominican-style for the lady vendors. Delicious. Best to go on a week day as this is one of the beaches that no one cares for, and on weekends unfortunately it gathers lots of trash.

novagringo

Jan 13, 2005
Thanks Everyone

Thanks all, for allaying my fear--I, too, like the freedom of having my own vehicle--we'll just take extra care. To Keith: All of us live in Loudoun County, my wife and I in Round Hill. (west of Leesburg) Thanks to everyone else on the helpful tips. This is our first vacation outside the walls of the AI, and I'm really looking forward to it. In fact, the villa we're staying in is on the market--who knows, maybe we'll fall in love with the place and become expats. Will continue to check the posts daily, and maybe ask a question or two.

Thanks again,

Chris from Northern Va

Status
Not open for further replies.