Have any Canadians re-newed their passports while in The DR.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
To all canadians living in the DR,

I wanted to know has anybody renewed their canadian passport's while in DR. And if yes how long did it take? and Did they give you the full 5 years on your passport? And what is the application process/procedure? Do they use the ones we have in Canada? or is there special application for canadians living in DR or abroad?. I am asking the Canadians because I am canadian too. Please let me know thanks all.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do you have a passport now? Are you planning on staying in the DR for more than 5 years?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Do you have a passport now? Are you planning on staying in the DR for more than 5 years?

I currently hold a canadian passport now. It expires in 7 months. I plan on staying in the DR for 1 year to work. After the year I plan on going to Europe, By that time my passport has expired and I do require avalid passport to enter europe. So I wan to renew it while in The DR.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Call and ask if you can renew before it expire. They have a new pilot project that allows you to renew by mail. All you need is two new passport picture and no garantor is needed. This only works if no of the info from your last passport has changed. I got my application months before it expired.

I was amazed how fast I got it back. Mailed it on a Wednesday afternoon got it back the following week on Thursday.

Anyways call and ask because from what I've read here it's easier and cheaper if you do it before leaving.

1-800-567-6868 Toronto 416- 973-3251

or www.ppt.gc.ca

Oh wanted to add that the pilot project is by invitation only.

Last edited:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Thanks Anna

I have called and tried to even speak with different reps. They keep on telling me the same thing. They say that you can only renew it 6 months before it expires. 7 months they still won't do it. They told me that the dominican has Canadian Consulate in Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata and they could handle the application for me.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I have had my canadian passport renewed in POP. The process was simple.
However they had a whole different application. Instead of the blue application it was brown. It was for canadians living abroad. The fee was slightly higher in dr. ALso if you do not have a guarntator you must do another form which the consulate will sign it for you for $50. It took 3 weeks to get the new one. I would advise the person to go to santo domingo as all files will be forwarded there anyways. That way you can safe 2-3 days on the process.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I not only renewed my Canadian Passport in Puerto Plata but also got one for my son when he was born along with Canadian Citizenship and he has never set foot in Canada...........The only difference in the Passports is the ones that are done here have no bar code at the bottem and have to be done manually.

The process is very simple and has more holes then Swiss Cheese, someone I know who will remain anonymous got a Canadian Passport for a adopted child whose parents are Dominican.
The child has been back and forth to Canada many times without a glitch.