Yikes! Dominican lost DR passport in Canada

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My husband just returned from Sosua after 2 weeks of visiting family. He came back to f-f-f-f-freezing cold -40C weather! It was horrible out, and because of this, he just wanted to get his stuff in the car and get inside to warm up. He is the most responsible person I know, so this is very uncharacteristic of him, but he accidentally left his DR passport and Canadian Permanent Residence card in the baggage cart in the airport parkade, inside a Sunquest folder! I've called Lost and Found at the airport, it hasn't shown up yet, but hopefully it will. We have reported the Passport and PR card as missing to the police. We went back to the airport today, checked the parkade, as well as checked every baggage cart we found, to no avail. If the passport doesn't show up, I have no idea how we're going to get a DR passport in Canada. Does anyone have experience with this? The PR card will also be a hassle, but at least it's a Canadian hassle, not a DR hassle. If anyone knows how to go about replacing a DR passport outside the country, please let me know.
Thanks all!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
trina said:
My husband just returned from Sosua after 2 weeks of visiting family. He came back to f-f-f-f-freezing cold -40C weather! It was horrible out, and because of this, he just wanted to get his stuff in the car and get inside to warm up. He is the most responsible person I know, so this is very uncharacteristic of him, but he accidentally left his DR passport and Canadian Permanent Residence card in the baggage cart in the airport parkade, inside a Sunquest folder! I've called Lost and Found at the airport, it hasn't shown up yet, but hopefully it will. We have reported the Passport and PR card as missing to the police. We went back to the airport today, checked the parkade, as well as checked every baggage cart we found, to no avail. If the passport doesn't show up, I have no idea how we're going to get a DR passport in Canada. Does anyone have experience with this? The PR card will also be a hassle, but at least it's a Canadian hassle, not a DR hassle. If anyone knows how to go about replacing a DR passport outside the country, please let me know.
Thanks all!

I know how frustrating this can be. I once lost my passport at Pearson International Airport (YYZ). I called Canada Customs in terminal 2 (main terminal for Canada Customs) And they had it. If it's important tracel documment it will not be lying in carts on sitting in the lost and found. Try calling the customs office, Airport security or the dominican consulate in the city where it was lost. Also Immigration might have it. I don;t know which city aiport your husband lost the documents, therefore I am limited in advices.
Also call Sunquest Vacions(since the document were in the sunquest folder) Hope he finds it. It could be a long proces to replace his residence card. Good luck.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Very good ideas, Stallion. I hadn't thought of calling Customs or the Consulate. We're in Calgary - I'm absolutely worried sick, but trying not to show it, because I know how horrible he feels right now. I'm scared that because the passport and PR card were inside the Sunquest folder, people might have thought it was junk and thrown it in the garbage. Or who knows, maybe someone has a friend that looks like my husband, and needs a PR card! That's what scares me. I'll make those calls tomorrow.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Trina maybe it's time to apply for a Canadian Citizenship then he won't need a DR passport. But I know you'll be returning to the DR soon so maybe there's not enough time.

Good luck

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
trina said:
Very good ideas, Stallion. I hadn't thought of calling Customs or the Consulate. We're in Calgary - I'm absolutely worried sick, but trying not to show it, because I know how horrible he feels right now. I'm scared that because the passport and PR card were inside the Sunquest folder, people might have thought it was junk and thrown it in the garbage. Or who knows, maybe someone has a friend that looks like my husband, and needs a PR card! That's what scares me. I'll make those calls tomorrow.

I don't think someone will think it was garbage. They might have checked it, thinking there was travellers check's inside. I mean if some found a wallet would they think there is no cash in it and trow it away? All the money is with travellers, so people allways check whatever they find in airports. I hope he find's it soon. All government have delayed the process of replacing documents since 9/11. You probably noticed that it now takes 10 business days to process the canadian passport rather than the 5 business day process. I hope he finds it. Good luck.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Suggestion.........

Call the embassy. That is why they are there. If I lose my US passport in the DR, they can replace it in about 10 days. I will need a copy of the front page though, and I always carry a copy in my luggage AND leave a copy at home with someone I know so I don't get stuck.

-Tim

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Hi Trina

There appears to be Consulates in only Toronto & Montreal (As a Canadian, I experienced this when trying to get my U.S visa as well)
They don't appear to have a 1-800 # and their email doesn't come up, however, this is what is listed, .....

Consulate General of the Dominican Republic in Toronto
347 BAY STREET SUITE 904, TORONTO, ONTARIO M5H 2R7
CANADA
Tel.: 416-369-0403
Fax: 416-369-1685

trina said:

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
DR Embassy in Canada`

Hi Trina,

Contact the DR Embassy. There is a a embassy in Ottawa and Consulates in Toronto and Montreal.

Here is the website: http://www.drembassy.org/english/index.html

In order to obtain a passport the following is needed

Renewal of passports: Every two (2) years after the date of issuing up to six (6) years.

Change of passport book: Six (6) years after the expiration date. Four photographs 2"x2" are required and the expired passport book.

First time issuance or issuance for loss: "Cedula"-ID Card, legalized birth certificate and four photographs 2"x2" are required.

Change of civil status: Marriage certificate or divorce certificate, depending on the case.

Passport insurance and renewals should be accompanied by Form SP/822 completely filled out (typed or in black ink or blue ink) that costs US$0.50 + 12% Law 5113 that is US$1.00.

Issuance of a passport book: 6 years US$91.50/4 years, US$71.50/ 2 years US$51.50.

Renewal of passport book: 6 years US$71.50; 4 years US$51.50; 2 years US$31.50.

In the event that a passport is lost or stolen or if a new passport is needed a consul can issue a replacement passport.

If you believe your passport has been stolen, first report the theft to the local police and get a police report.

If passport is stolen and you do not have the police report you need a solemn declaration signed by the Consul there is an additional fee of US$75.00 for this document.

Proof of Dominican citizenship (a previous passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate).

Honorary Consulates are not authorized to issue passport books, and can only renew these following receiving authorization from the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Relations.

Passport Loss Certificate

A certificate of the declaration of the bearer will be issued.

*In order to allow the Consular Section to better help and serve you, please register with the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa, Canada we are here to serve you.

Good Luck!!

Rosanie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thank you all very much for your help. Very useful info from everyone. We're going to wait a week to see if it turns up (I pray it will), and then start the agonizing process of replacing the passport and Canadian Permanent Residence card.

Thanks all for your good luck wishes!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Trina maybe it's time to apply for a Canadian Citizenship then he won't need a DR passport. But I know you'll be returning to the DR soon so maybe there's not enough time.

Good luck

That's exactly it, Anna. Besides, Angel is very intelligent, but I wouldn't even pass that freaking Immigration test (don't get me wrong, at some point, he'll have to do it, no matter what. His English just isn't good enough yet to answer essay-type questions)! Have a look!

Canadian Citizenship Test

Groan...I just thought of something...now we'll have to get his US visa all over again...in July, we'd applied for and received a 5-year multiple-entry US visa...please please please someone find it!!! I know there are much more worthy causes in the world to pray about (and this is a rather selfish cause to pray about), but please say a quick prayer to Saint Jude for us!

Last edited:

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
twincactus said:
Call the embassy. That is why they are there. If I lose my US passport in the DR, they can replace it in about 10 days. I will need a copy of the front page though, and I always carry a copy in my luggage AND leave a copy at home with someone I know so I don't get stuck.

-Tim

Just another suggestion (something I do).

Get a scanned copy of your Passport and send it to a Hotmail/Yahoo mail account or store it in a secure file storage site on the internet.

Printable from anywhere in the world, I bet the US Embassy would even let you use their PC.

Plus it's a lot faster then having your friend send you the backup copy.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don Tomas said:
Just another suggestion (something I do).

Get a scanned copy of your Passport and send it to a Hotmail/Yahoo mail account or store it in a secure file storage site on the internet.

Printable from anywhere in the world, I bet the US Embassy would even let you use their PC.

Plus it's a lot faster then having your friend send you the backup copy.

What a great idea. I'm going to do that right now. Do any of you computer experts see any problems with having that kind of info on the internet?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
What a great idea. I'm going to do that right now. Do any of you computer experts see any problems with having that kind of info on the internet?

Not really if it is sitting in your mailbox in your yahoo/hotmail or similar account. There is always a risk but this is a small one. (Oops, tomorrow's news headlines "Hacker stole mail from 5 million yahoo mailboxes") :glasses:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Passport

I scanned mine, sized it to business card size, printed in color and ?plastified? it (is this a word). I carry it with me all the time and you would be surprised how often I use it as if it was an original document. They can?t tell the difference, even used it to change cheques or get money from the bank!! ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
trina said:
That's exactly it, Anna. Besides, Angel is very intelligent, but I wouldn't even pass that freaking Immigration test (don't get me wrong, at some point, he'll have to do it, no matter what. His English just isn't good enough yet to answer essay-type questions)! Have a look!

Trina; the test is easy. Yris taught the material to many people, and not one failed and many spoke very little English. With practice and help from you, he'll pass it.

I've in the past, sent e-mails to the DR Embassy in Ottawa and always got answer. Whens your due date.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bob I see on one of the sample question and answer that it's mulitple choice. Is this right?
My Mom and Dad got theirs long time ago and my Mom God rest her soul knew very little English.

Maybe it was easier back then. Not sure

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
Trina; the test is easy. Yris taught the material to many people, and not one failed and many spoke very little English. With practice and help from you, he'll pass it.

I've in the past, sent e-mails to the DR Embassy in Ottawa and always got answer. Whens your due date.

Bob, I've been thinking about you, because I thought you'd mentioned on a post one time that Yris was teaching Immigration classes or something of the like. The test that I'm going by is the one on the CIC website, which looks like there are essay-type questions. I know this is just a sample of what you should expect; I definitely wouldn't pass this test without studying; however if it were multiple-choice, that would make a world of difference. Angel would have a hard time writing the answers to these questions because of his limited English; if it were multiple choice, this wouldn't be such a barrier.

My due date is February 20. Another month to go...

By the way, we went back to the airport, checking again (even though anyone who might possibly have it at the airport has our phone number), and still no luck... You guys may definitely be onto something, maybe it's better that we look into Citizenship, if you say the test is easy. Wouldn't that open up a whole new world for us!

Nov 5, 2004
trina said:
Bob, I've been thinking about you, because I thought you'd mentioned on a post one time that Yris was teaching Immigration classes or something of the like. The test that I'm going by is the one on the CIC website, which looks like there are essay-type questions. I know this is just a sample of what you should expect; I definitely wouldn't pass this test without studying; however if it were multiple-choice, that would make a world of difference. Angel would have a hard time writing the answers to these questions because of his limited English; if it were multiple choice, this wouldn't be such a barrier.

My due date is February 20. Another month to go...

By the way, we went back to the airport, checking again (even though anyone who might possibly have it at the airport has our phone number), and still no luck... You guys may definitely be onto something, maybe it's better that we look into Citizenship, if you say the test is easy. Wouldn't that open up a whole new world for us!

Hi Trina,
Although I can't give advice..I do wish you all the best on whatever the outcome of this situation will be!!!

I will be thinking about you guys!

I have been wondering about how difficult that test would be as well...I don't even know some of the answers to the questions on there!!!... :eek:

Good luck with everything! I wish you all the best...and HOPE you can find it if anything! I guess Citizenship would be even better...but regardless...hope everything goes well for you! ;)