The Flora of Hispanolia/DR?

derekbower

Nov 29, 2004
I would like to find a book with as much detail as possible on the flora of the island. I have had no luck in my local library system. Preferably english but spanish ok too. Can anyone suggest a source?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Some Related Titles

derekbower said:
I would like to find a book with as much detail as possible on the flora of the island. I have had no luck in my local library system. Preferably english but spanish ok too. Can anyone suggest a source?

I have a three volume set by Jurgen Hoppe which may address your needs. The English versions are:
Flowering Trees of the Dominican Republic [ISBN 84-923141-0-9], S.D. Oct 1997
Palms of the Dominican Republic [ISBN 84-923141-4-1] S.D. 1998
Nature Guide (The North Coast of the Dominican Republic) ISBN 84-95246-03-5] S.D. 1999
All three volumes are published by Fundacion Manuel De Jesus Tavares Portes, Inc., under the sponsorship of EDUCA. I found all three books in the Colonial Zone of S.D. a few years ago. I will be pleased to assist further, if required.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I bought the Palms one in the SD Botanic Garden shop several years ago. IIRC they had a small selection of books about the flora of the island. You could try there as well.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We're planning a trip through the capitol in the next four weeks - going to see areas of the country that we have not seen before. But we won't be staying in SD for any length of time. If anyone has the time to get me these three books (Flowering Trees, Palms and Nature Guide) I would be really glad. I could send the amount needed on the bus and will stop off to get the books...

Any Santo Domingo person with a little time on their hands?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Next time you are in Santiago

Look me up and we can go over to the University Herbarium. It is run by Dr. Richard Lowden, our resident botanist...knows a humongeous amount of stuff about anything botanical..

HB :D:D