Appreciation Gifts - Housekeeping Staff ?

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
Can someone help me out ?

I am coming to the DR and staying at Playa Naco on the North Coast. I want to bring some small tokens of appreciation for the housekeeping staff that take care of the rooms.

Any ideas what the ladies might really appreciate ? Something that is difficult to get in the DR ? Maybe something for their children ?

BTW How is the Playa Naco now-a-days ? I heard it was under renovation with new management. Any comments ?

CD

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Canadian-Diver said:

I am coming to the DR and staying at Playa Naco on the North Coast. I want to bring some small tokens of appreciation for the housekeeping staff that take care of the rooms.

Any ideas what the ladies might really appreciate ? Something that is difficult to get in the DR ? Maybe something for their children ?

BTW How is the Playa Naco now-a-days ? I heard it was under renovation with new management. Any comments ?

CD

The ladies might appreciate perfumes. And for the kids I guess video games and toys/school supplies. But money is always better, They would like it better. Good luck.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Canadian-Diver said:

CD

You are tipping. Tips = money. Give them money. let them decide what to buy. You would not give perfume or cosmetics to a maid in the USA so don't do it in the DR to maids making 1/10th as much.

Money is difficult for them to get in the DR. And food and medicine and other necessities of life. At least US$2 a day or even RD$100 a day, it won't kill you.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Last year I found a bunch of things around the house (samples such as tea, hand cream, toothpaste) as well as the shampoos, conditioners, etc picked up at hotels when on business during the year.

I left a couple of things every day and in return I received a mini-Spanish lesson when we saw each other, great service, as well as a fresh flower on the pillow every day. Not that it's a big deal but no one, including the couple we travelled with, received a flower of any kind.

When leaving, I'll leave a tip in an envelope seeing I've received such great service while there.

All of our waitresse & housekeeping staff have always seemed very appreciative of anything they receive.

Canadian-Diver said:

CD

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
ricktoronto said:
You are tipping. Tips = money. Give them money. let them decide what to buy. You would not give perfume or cosmetics to a maid in the USA so don't do it in the DR to maids making 1/10th as much.

Money is difficult for them to get in the DR. And food and medicine and other necessities of life. At least US$2 a day or even RD$100 a day, it won't kill you.

I appreciate your comment ... Tipping with money is a "given", and I'll do that without hesitation.

These appreciation gifts that I was asking about are just a token of appreciation from my wife & I , over and above the monetary gift.

I think perfumes are too personal and we wont take that route but we'll bring something special.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Canadian-Diver said:
I appreciate your comment ... Tipping with money is a "given", and I'll do that without hesitation.

These appreciation gifts that I was asking about are just a token of appreciation from my wife & I , over and above the monetary gift.

I think perfumes are too personal and we wont take that route but we'll bring something special.

Just keep in mind that other hotel's shampoo etc., are basically free and the maids know that and the implication they are too poor to afford shampoo and soap possibly makes the so-called gift an insult. Given them something unique like maple syrup or something Canadian but not on lieu of a daily, proper tip. Some advice: tip them in person, since they may not take money left in the open and if you do it early the level of service and towels and so on is amazingly good.

If you were in Toronto or NYC you would not tip the maid shampoo or cosmetics. This is not that different.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Just keep in mind that other hotel's shampoo etc., are basically free and the maids know that and the implication they are too poor to afford shampoo and soap possibly makes the so-called gift an insult. Given them something unique like maple syrup or something Canadian but not on lieu of a daily, proper tip. Some advice: tip them in person, since they may not take money left in the open and if you do it early the level of service and towels and so on is amazingly good.

If you were in Toronto or NYC you would not tip the maid shampoo or cosmetics. This is not that different.

Rick:

It sounds like you are lecturing me here... I know that shampoo, soap and cosmetics are available in the DR . :)

If you read my original post, I said ...

" Any ideas what the ladies might really appreciate ? Something that is difficult to get in the DR ? Maybe something for their children ? "

Anyway, thanks to the other folks for your advice, we'll bring something nice along.

Last edited:

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Give her something for herself or her kids. Their husbands will sometimes take the money.

The kids will appreciate anything you give them. Like a doll or a set of Barbie pencils with notebooks.
For boy give them a small Superman action figure or a small Hotwheels racer.
Even something as simple as a set of coloring book with crayons. Each can cost a low as .99 or for the set (in dollars).

She would appreciate a nice lotion that smells good, even a small wallet. At the end of your stay give her a monetary gift or a gift for her home like a set of silverware. It doesn't have to be the expensive kind.

ps. You must have a kind heart. May you be blessed!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Canadian-Diver said:
Rick:

It sounds like you are lecturing me here... I know that shampoo, soap and cosmetics are available in the DR . :)

If you read my original post, I said ...

" Any ideas what the ladies might really appreciate ? Something that is difficult to get in the DR ? Maybe something for their children ? "

Anyway, thanks to the other folks for your advice, we'll bring something nice along.

Maybe I was, and I answered what you asked - unless you want to suggest they are unable to clean themselves then unwanted free shampoo from another hotel would not come under "what the ladies would really appreciate", any more than you receiving it if you were a maid in your town.

This idea that people have no pride and we have to rescue them with soap has to go, hopefully some day. If you go to Cuba then you can bring just about anything becasue rich or poor you can't buy bugger all half the time.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Maybe I was, and I answered what you asked - unless you want to suggest they are unable to clean themselves then unwanted free shampoo from another hotel would not come under "what the ladies would really appreciate", any more than you receiving it if you were a maid in your town.

This idea that people have no pride and we have to rescue them with soap has to go, hopefully some day. If you go to Cuba then you can bring just about anything becasue rich or poor you can't buy bugger all half the time.

Rick: I don't know what got you so upset but I think you have some issues that you have to deal with.
Where on earth did you get the idea that I am saying they don't know how to clean themselves. Don't you dare add words to my original post.

Go and talk to someone about this. You appear to have some problems understanding what people are saying here.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
DMAO said:
Give her something for herself or her kids. Their husbands will sometimes take the money.

The kids will appreciate anything you give them. Like a doll or a set of Barbie pencils with notebooks.
For boy give them a small Superman action figure or a small Hotwheels racer.
Even something as simple as a set of coloring book with crayons. Each can cost a low as .99 or for the set (in dollars).

She would appreciate a nice lotion that smells good, even a small wallet. At the end of your stay give her a monetary gift or a gift for her home like a set of silverware. It doesn't have to be the expensive kind.

ps. You must have a kind heart. May you be blessed!

Thank you DMAO for your advice.... I greatly appreciate your positive comments. This is the type of info that I was looking for.

Cheers

CD

Steve B

Dec 8, 2004
The original post posed a very logical question from someone with a good heart that wants to do something nice and got some good answers. Too bad some assholes like you, Rick, think you have to add your stupid remarks! If you cannot add constructive comments, why don't you write to yourself instead of infecting this forum with your garbage!

ricktoronto said:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Canadian-Diver said:
Rick: I don't know what got you so upset but I think you have some issues that you have to deal with.
Where on earth did you get the idea that I am saying they don't know how to clean themselves. Don't you dare add words to my original post.

Go and talk to someone about this. You appear to have some problems understanding what people are saying here.

Actually LauraP volunteered the info that she gives service workers shampoo takes from other hotels and samples around the house. What I said is that the maids could infer that they need second hand cleaning products from other hotels as an implication that they cannot care for the same needs themselves. The point being that tips should not change to hand me downs just because you are in a third world country, since you would not give the maid at the Hilton, who works for poverty wages in NYC, shampoo from the Hyatt.

And stick the dime store psychology in a shampoo bottle.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Steve B said:
The original post posed a very logical question from someone with a good heart that wants to do something nice and got some good answers. Too bad some assholes like you, Rick, think you have to add your stupid remarks! If you cannot add constructive comments, why don't you write to yourself instead of infecting this forum with your garbage!

Yes, I agree your volumes of helpful information has been a boon to the board thus far by comparison, potty-mouth.

And the point lost on the OP and you evidently is that you should not offend with a misguided attempt to do something good. I know a lot of hotel maids, they don't want soap and cosmetics they want cash tips like other hospitality staff do.

Remote

Mar 13, 2004
Canadian Diver,

I agree with Rick, cash is the route to go. Although your intentions are honourable, we - meaning tourists - have no way of knowing what any one maid may or may not want or appreciate. I usually leave behind any extras I accumulate while I'm on a trip, but always leave cash as the primary "thank you" for a job well done. One piece if advice given to me was to tip daily, and preferably to your maid in person, since supervisors often try to scoop the loot. I know during our week-long stay there was at least one day where our regular maid was off, and I would have felt bad if I'd left one big tip on that day.

If you're really intent on doing something of worth in the DR - and want to make sure your contributions get to where they're needed - look up one of the many worthwhile charities in the area (like http://www.dominicandream.org/ or http://www.fundapatria.com/). Many resorts have relationships with these groups and will ensure your donations are delivered.

Enjoy your trip!

Remote

Mar 13, 2004
Oops CD, I see from doing a little surf around this board that you already do good works in the DR. Good on ya! So I guess it goes back to the maid issue, and I concur with Rick. Say it with money.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
thanks Remote

Remote said:
Oops CD, I see from doing a little surf around this board that you already do good works in the DR. Good on ya! So I guess it goes back to the maid issue, and I concur with Rick. Say it with money.

Yes Remote, you are right, There are about 60 of us that are taking a week out of our holidays to come to the DR and help people in a nearby town. We already sponsor them financially from home. We also want to bring some items that they might not be able to get locally.

All I wanted to do was take this generousity a bit further by including the staff around the hotel. Financial tipping is a given. I do not look down on the people in the DR as RICK is implying and I would never bring SOAP or SHAMPOO.

This thread has taken an ugly turn with some name calling so I'll stop posting. I find on these boards, there are experts that know everything and you just take their words with a grain of salt.

I have received many good replies and PM's so I have the answers I need. Thanks for your comments Remote... I'll post a report when I get back.

Good onya mate and thanks for your positive comments.

Cheers

CD

Last edited: