Considering a move to D-R infos please

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Hi everyone!

I am new to this board. I am a Canadian from Quebec and I visited the D-R a few times now. I am totally in love with that place, the people, their values, their simple way of life, even the rain... well, it's always better than the 3ft of snow we get here and the -30's F. I have been thinking of it for quite some times but now I feel I would be ready to experience the living in D-R, at least for a few months to see if I can adapt, and if my 5 yrs old could adapt as well. I know it's quite a change but I am willing to try it, I guess it's my adventurous side!

I was wondering if anyone would have some hints, tips, infos on the areas, where to go or not to go, the kind of works available for an expat woman down there. My work experience is mostly office work, administration, and I worked a lot in hotels too years ago. I only have college degree, I am fluent in French and English, and I am intermediate in Spanish even thought it gets better with the time. Maybe help on how school system works there for an expat kid, even if I might just start off trying during summer time for a few months so he might not even have to go to school. I would appreciate if someone could provide me with infos on how to find a rental, appartement or house, I would even be interested in home swapping since the first time shouldn't be a permanent move. Since I don't want to do a move with nothing ahead, I would also appreciate if someone could give me infos on how to make contacts, etc.

I know it can be risky, I am aware of that, I had a friend living down there for a few months who got robbed twice at night but she also told me that her life down there was the best time she ever had. Her only advice to me was to not move to Santo-Domingo even thought there are many expats there.

Any infos will be really appreciated!

Thank you.

Mira

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write an helpfull reply. Actually, I have read some of the threads and I have read the infos (the links given in the sticky post) for people who need ressources on how to find work etc. One thing I don't see thought is anything that talks about a single white female and a child... I would need to know how much harder it would be for me or if it would be juste the same as if a single white male would decide to move there or a whole family. Would it be much more dangerous? What about babysitters while I work and finding a place to live. Maybe if you could direct me as for where to find the proper infos it would make it a bit easier, I've been surfing around but since I've never been on this site before I am kind of lost......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What part of the island did you visit on past trips?

Regarding baby sitters, that won't be a problem. Dominicans love children and are good with them. You won't have any trouble finding one. Your language skills and experience might help you find work in the tourist industry. But you should investigate that before you burn your bridges, unless you have enough money to keep you going for 6 months or so until you get established.

I don't think it will automatically be more difficult you because you are single female. You can find a housekeeper who is also a baby sitter, or one of each. You can also find a live in baby sitter if you want that. Finding work is going to be the big challenge, and that is true for men as well as women. Jobs don't pay here what they do there.

Good luck. There are many people on this board that will try to help. But best if you ask specific questions people can respond to.

Buena suerte!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Mira, what was the reason your friend advised you not to move to Sto. Domingo? Is it because that's where she was robbed? I've also heard that crime is increasing in Santiago, not to mention Azua, as well as all over the island. What would truly be hard to adjust to, for me at least, would be that big humidity, burning sun and merciless heat in the summer. I really hate to sweat, that's why I have never lived in Miami. On the other hand, I can certainly appreciate the view of the Caribbean sea from the balcony of a nice apt. in a good part of Sto. Domingo, in an area where electricity (almost) never goes out and the availability of nice parks, theaters and modern medical facilities.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Thank you very much Ken! I have mostly visited around Bayahibe, La Romana, Punta Cana, Higuey and the little villages near by which I fell in love with. It is quite something to see people living in extreme poverty but still being so welcoming and nice. I went around those places alone most of the time since I've always traveled alone. I actually really liked your idea of a live-in babysitter wich would be perfect but it also depends on how much dineros it would cost me! My parents have been so trying to stop me since I told them, telling me about child abduction and being the only white person in a black people community. This might be what would scare a bit me thought, I mean while being there to visit the people are very nice and helpfull but while living there, do they accept us?

I have to say, many people have warned me about how things could turn wrong if I'd take the bus alone and go to the cities and villages by myself but instead of trouble, people where really helpfull and great to me. The only thing that could have been a turn off was the wedding proposals I'd get walking down the street but nobody has try to jump on me, rob me or kill me. I guess it's like anywhere else, if you do like the locals, live like them, dress like them, not carry much money and no jewelery, purses, it might be much safer. I usually adapt easily to my surrounding.

Here's my questions :
1- How much in average would a live-in babysitter cost?
2- Do locals axept the extrajenros who live there or is there an overall uneasy feeling?

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
juancarlos said:
Mira, what was the reason your friend advised you not to move to Sto. Domingo? Is it because that's where she was robbed? I've also heard that crime is increasing in Santiago, not to mention Azua, as well as all over the island. What would truly be hard to adjust to, for me at least, would be that big humidity, burning sun and merciless heat in the summer. I really hate to sweat, that's why I have never lived in Miami. On the other hand, I can certainly appreciate the view of the Caribbean sea from the balcony of a nice apt. in a good part of Sto. Domingo, in an area where electricity (almost) never goes out and the availability of nice parks, theaters and modern medical facilities.

Actually, if I remember correctly she lived in La Romana, but I think her husband was attacked on the street in Santo-Domingo. But yes, I do believe you when you say crime increases everywhere. Even here in Montreal, crime never stops increasing, just in my close neighborhood there's been 6 murders, countless robberies and I lived here for 5 years.

I have to admit thought, I've never seen Santo-Domingo but that's where I was first looking because it's a city with much more facilities than other places on the island, I could even send my son to a French school over there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah, the attractions of "Margaritaville"

Sounds like your parents don't know much about this place, apart from being a bit racist??

Oh well they are yours..

As for what you are thinking of doing? It might work. If you can get in touch with the home offices of the companies that work here and get hired outside the Dominican Republic, you will be paid a decent wage. If you are hired here you will get screwed.

YOu might try the tour operators that operate out of Canada. Your language skills might be useful for their operations in the Country.

As for educating you child, depending on its age, you can find nice, Catholic or not sectarian day care centers and private schools, in Spanish.

Keep reading the threads, there is a lot more information there.

HB

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Mira said:
Actually, if I remember correctly she lived in La Romana, but I think her husband was attacked on the street in Santo-Domingo. But yes, I do believe you when you say crime increases everywhere. Even here in Montreal, crime never stops increasing, just in my close neighborhood there's been 6 murders, countless robberies and I lived here for 5 years.

I have to admit thought, I've never seen Santo-Domingo but that's where I was first looking because it's a city with much more facilities than other places on the island, I could even send my son to a French school over there.

Wow! I would have never imagined crime was so bad in Montreal! Here where I live in this part of Los Angeles, a neighbor was mugged the other night as she entered our condo building. Her purse was taken and everything important she kept there. I had only heard of a similar incident about six months ago. The other night this incident happened as I arrived, I only saw the guy fleeing at high speed and the lady in total shock.

I think that if you want to send your child to a French school and have many facilities available, then Santo Domingo would be the ideal place. After all, it's the capital, not only politically but culturally and economically as well. They say Santiago comes next.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mira, I don't know what a live in baby sitter is paid, but I can assure you that you will think it is quite cheap compared to what a comparable person would be paid in Canada. I would think about US$200 at present rate of exchange, but that is just a guess. I'm sure there are other posters with current experience with live in employees.

My wife and I have visted nearly all the islands of the eastern Caribbean and this is the one where we feel most welcome. If you are a friendly person, the Dominicans will respond with friendliness. If you felt the people you came in contact with on your past visits, it won't be any different when you live here.

As far as whistles, suggestive remarks, etc, made as you walk along, just ignore them. Do not say anything or respond. There are men of all ages that do this to all women, not just extranjeras. Watch a good looking Dominican girl; you'll see that she does not give any sign of having heard.

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Sounds like your parents don't know much about this place, apart from being a bit racist??

Oh well they are yours..

As for what you are thinking of doing? It might work. If you can get in touch with the home offices of the companies that work here and get hired outside the Dominican Republic, you will be paid a decent wage. If you are hired here you will get screwed.

YOu might try the tour operators that operate out of Canada. Your language skills might be useful for their operations in the Country.

As for educating you child, depending on its age, you can find nice, Catholic or not sectarian day care centers and private schools, in Spanish.

Keep reading the threads, there is a lot more information there.

HB

That is exactly what I've been wanting to do, contact even airlines companies to see if they need representative on resorts to welcome the tourists at the hotel. But even thought it might be "safer" to do it that way, I would rather find a normal job, and live in a life outside of the artificial of the hotel. I've been reading a lot on this board, some things pretty scarry, some things encouraging. It still don't change my mind, if I don't try it, even if it's only for a few months this year, I will never know and I will regret it badly. I don't have any problems with sending my child to a Spanish school, I think it would be great for him to learn it at a young age. :)

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Ken said:
Mira, I don't know what a live in baby sitter is paid, but I can assure you that you will think it is quite cheap compared to what a comparable person would be paid in Canada. I would think about US$200 at present rate of exchange, but that is just a guess. I'm sure there are other posters with current experience with live in employees.

As far as whistles, suggestive remarks, etc, made as you walk along, just ignore them. Do not say anything or respond. There are men of all ages that do this to all women, not just extranjeras. Watch a good looking Dominican girl; you'll see that she does not give any sign of having heard.

I've actually compared a lot, surfed a lot of Domincans classifieds and I came to the conclusion that life cost down there, and up here, are very similar. A live in babysitter here would cost about 200$ canadian (a foreigner lady who don't work for an agency). So it would be pretty close.

Oh yeah... the suggestive remarks... I was walking down the street, downtown Montreal two nights ago, at every corner I would get the whistles and the suggestive comments, that's exactly what I do here too, I ignore them! In Italy it's the exact same thing, men almost run after good looking women to offer antipastis and cafe or vino. Latin decendency men are all the same I guess! :)

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
Jimmydr said:
We pay ours $100 a month plus all meals.

Hmm.. interesting! Did you get her from an agency over there or you just asked the next neighbour who told her daughter.... ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are no agencies. The best thing is to ask around. Talk with other expats about who they are using to clean or whatever. If they have someone they think is very reliable and honest, ask that person if she can recommend somebody.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mira no one has told you this yet but I hope you have lots of money saved.
Camping for a month in the woods is great because you have the choice and may not have the stress of going to work while doing it.

I don't know if you have found the info in search yet but here is the harsh reality. If you are lucky enough to find a job at this time, the pay is very low. Maybe 200 US a month and rent could run you that much, less if you want to live as poor Dominicans do. So that 100 for a nanny is now looking very expensive if you don't bring a saving account with you.

Try and spend more holiday time looking for a job and a place to rent.

Been there done that. ;)

Good luck

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Hello!!! I am happy that you are considering moving to the DR. Everyone will always say "oh yes, but its different out of the hotel complex". Yes, it is totally different, but still great. Babysitters wont be a problem, dominicans love children. Cheaper way of living also. And knowing languages is good too. Also, when I used to go and stay in Casa Marina when I first starting coming to the DR, I would get stopped everywhere to go in shops and get my hair braided, and it got annoying. But when your living there, you'll find you wont be hassled as much 'casue you haven't got the "plastic resort band" on your wrist. Good luck, I'm sure you will love living there.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Mira no one has told you this yet but I hope you have lots of money saved.
Camping for a month in the woods is great because you have the choice and may not have the stress of going to work while doing it.

I don't know if you have found the info in search yet but here is the harsh reality. If you are lucky enough to find a job at this time, the pay is very low. Maybe 200 US a month and rent could run you that much, less if you want to live as poor Dominicans do. So that 100 for a nanny is now looking very expensive if you don't bring a saving account with you.

Try and spend more holiday time looking for a job and a place to rent.

Been there done that. ;)

Good luck

Yes I forgot to add those bits, pay is of course lower, but if you've saved, then you will be able to live comfortably
also, I find the DR safer than the more developed countries like the UK, Canada and US etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
britishgirl said:
, I find the DR safer than the more developed countries like the UK, Canada and US etc.

Really? What part of Canada have you been to, excluding our handful of big cities?

Mira

Jan 15, 2005
el gringo 762 said:
sorry sister...

priority numero uno: a job. not some hope of getting a job, a job.

dos: that kid. your just going to plant him in dominican soil and expect him to grow? what about daddy? family, a support system. it'd have to be real bad for me to leave home and roll the dice on the hope of making it in the dr. i don't know what type of support system you have up north there in the land of snow, but you have zero in dr.

hey, take a vacation but this time spend it trying to get a job... instead of getting banged by sankies.

sorry so mucho odeoso, but you have to look beyond your needs on this one. your going to a third world country with your baby.

Actually, Daddy is non existant (it's a long story) so is the extended family. My son don't know of them, never saw them, never will... I made my mistakes too in life! There are my parents which I see once every 6 months or so but that is about the only family I got and I can always buy my way out to visit them or they can come visit me.

Support system up here, what do you mean? Wealthfare? Support for young single mothers?

1- I don't live on wealthfare and there are really slim chances I ever need it. I am really competent in many fields, even thought I am quite young, I've been working at different places on different things since I was 13; first as a chambermaid, then a waitress/bossgirl, then receptionnist, in an hotel. My family was not rich, I had to help too.
I know a lot about computers, I took a tech course before I reoriented myself realizing I prefered softwares to hardwares, basically I can work easily with most office softwares (Word, Word Perfect, Lotus, Quatro Pro, Outlook, JD Edwards, Accpac, Excel, Access, Power Point, Win Medias, Dreamweaver, Flash) name it, chances are I know how to use it.
I know web design and graphic design, I do it as a side job, I get little contracts here and there and I currently work full time as an administrative assistant at the accounting service in the health system (governement) but I started off there as an accounting technician. I speak French-English and speak Spanish enough to know what's happening around me, in fact I am even teaching it to my son who already speaks French and English. And I understand Italian even thought I don't practice it. I am really qualified even thought I skipped University, I prefered learning as I worked.

2- Support for young single mothers up here is discussion groups, which I never go to, heck, at least if they would do "support" but they're bitching, whining and complaining about how hard it is to live with a kid and most of them are on wealthfare, 16-17 yrs old. Not any close to my situation.

3- I have been considering it for a while, I've checked the pros and cons. I said it earlier, I wouldn't do a move with nothing awaiting for me up here, I would leave, with my furnished home rented, so it provides me some income while down there, I take a few months off from my job and I leave with my Visa totally cleared, money on the side to take me out asap if I need to and enough money to support me and my child 4 months. Before I make a final decision I would try a 4 months experience. I cannot afford leaving more than that since in January 2006 I am trying to hit a promotion, but if I don't get that promotion, I am reorienting myself, most likely in teaching, I love children, I love helping, I love sharing knowledge and I will most likely get my degrees to go teach French or English in a foreign country like a 3rd world country.
What is it going to do to my son? He will see other cultures, other way of lifes and I sincerely think he can acquire great life experience out of that. I know many of my friends who lived that with their parents as kids and they turned out pretty good. It's not because we live in North-America that we have the best life quality. And one thing I like about all that is I have the freedom to chose and come back at anytime if I want to!

I made my trips to D-R culturals because I am not the beach type of person and I hated the artifiality of the resorts. I enjoy learning about new culture and living their reality, same as I did in many of my other trips in South America, India, Europe. But not a culture I enjoyed as much as the Dominican one.

Do I look that dumb? I am a strong minded woman, I have a great will power and I am quite intelligent actually. And I don't know what you meant by "getting banged by sankies" since I don't know what "sankies" are,but if it's what I think, you are totally off the track and really irrespectfull. Judging without knowing is a really nasty thing.