Ok, I got to tell you what I saw today in a Pto.Pta. Supermarket

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I could not wait till I got home to post this, Today while I was doing a little shopping at Tropical Supermarket here in Puerto Plata. I was minding my own business when I looked ahead of me and saw a Gringo pushing a shopping cart walking with his Dominican wife and kids, normal right? wrong......This guy had a Notebook open on top of his Carrots where the kids seat is, and as I passed by I glanced at what he was up to in a Supermarket killing time while his wife was doing the shopping.
To my surprise this guy was on line, he had a 3G wireless card pluged in the side........Now the story gets a lot better, when I looked at what he was doing on line this is when it almost blew me away!............He was reading DR1 News.......I KID YOU NOT.
Talk about technology, when I came here 15 years ago this was truely a Banana Republic.
The technology available today is sometimes overwhelming even to me.

Gringo

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did you introduce yourself, gringo? It would be interesting to know the name he posts by, assuming he posts on the board.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
Did you introduce yourself, gringo? It would be interesting to know the name he posts by, assuming he posts on the board.

No I thought about that latter but my 10 year old son was in a hurry to go and see the Circus that's in town.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
cool story :) put a well needed smile on my face this morning. IT is amazing how small the world gets...especialy on line.

I met a guy over the summer hanging out in a small park this past summer. Not only did we figure out that we knew eachother from about 15 years ago from college....but we had been chatting online without knowing that we already knew eachother! very cool!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
many DR1ers

I've met many people here that know DR1. Touristas and people living here.

I was selling my jewelry at the ferria in Colon Park and met a lady that reads but doesn't post. A French guy here that rents cars always checks in. Lots of humans check out this site, but few are real posters.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Gringo said:
I could not wait till I got home to post this, Today while I was doing a little shopping at Tropical Supermarket here in Puerto Plata. I was minding my own business when I looked ahead of me and saw a Gringo pushing a shopping cart walking with his Dominican wife and kids, normal right? wrong......This guy had a Notebook open on top of his Carrots where the kids seat is, and as I passed by I glanced at what he was up to in a Supermarket killing time while his wife was doing the shopping.
To my surprise this guy was on line, he had a 3G wireless card pluged in the side........Now the story gets a lot better, when I looked at what he was doing on line this is when it almost blew me away!............He was reading DR1 News.......I KID YOU NOT.
Talk about technology, when I came here 15 years ago this was truely a Banana Republic.
The technology available today is sometimes overwhelming even to me.

Gringo
Buddy buddy! Don't you know we are the leader in Latin America when it comes to Communication?!!

Banana Republic? Where?

LOL.

Maybe this should be our national motto:

The Dominican Republic
Expect the unexpected!

LOL ;) :laugh: