Possible US Visa Problem??

philly

Feb 14, 2003
I am seeking some information for a dominican friend of mine. She just recently got a 5 year US tourist visa. She visited over the Christmas holiday for 2 weeks and returned back to Santo Domingo. She wants to visit some more family and would like to return this month or next. Does anyone know if someone in her situation would have a problem trying to enter the US again after just leaving? She left the 9th of January.

Thanks in advance...

Philly

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I'm pretty sure that she'd be able to travel back and forth freely long as her visa is valid.
Quick question...since your screen name is Philly, does that mean you are from Philly? What part if so?

philly

Feb 14, 2003
hi lsylla01 thanks for you reply

last night i was doing some research on the web and found a site where some lawyer answers visa related questions and was taken back by some horror stories of people with tourist visas getting denied access becuase the INS officer didn't buy there story of just visiting...I have to admit that on the face her situation may look suspicios...she is 22, doesn't as yet have a steady job, just graduated college, is supported by her parents...etc...I know her and the family very well and am certain she is not a flight risk...but after reading some of these posts last night I could see how an immigration officer would be very curious...

does anyone know of any situations specific to dominicans being denied access when they hold a valid tourist visa?

btw, I only lived in philly once when I was going to Temple University now I live about an hour south of philly in oxford...where are you from lsylla01?

Best Regards,
Philly

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
Travelling on a visa to US

I think there is really no general answer to this question. As mentioned before, the visa doesn't mean the border patrol officer will grant entry. He has the right to ask the young lady questions just about anything. He may deny entry and there is no right to apeal for people on a tourist visa.
As a general information: The US Immigration has now records not just about when somebody enter the US but also when he left. So the next time somebody comes back to the US (especially only a few days or weeks after leaving the US) the Officer might asked more questions and grant only short stay or even deny entry.
So, if a young lady comes and leaves the US in a short period of time red flags will come up.
After 9-11 border officer are more careful with granting entry, because each officer gives out an electronic signature when granting entry. If down the road it turns out that a tourist got in trouble in the USA, the officer who granted entry could get in trouble himself and might even lose his job.
I think that is one of the main reason why border officer are now much more careful when checking people before granting entry into the US.

A british friend of mine was recently denied entry, because he keept going in and out. He is in his 60's and on a very goodpension (so no risk he wants to work in the US), I wonder how the reaction would be with a young lady from a considered very poor country.....