Another killing in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
This is unconfirmed, but my girlfriend told me in a phone call this morning that a man in Villas Tropimar, the condos adjacent to Caribe Campo in Sosua, was killed by a woman early this morning. She was told this by a security guard as she was leaving the complex this morning. When I hear more, I'll post it. - D

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Danny W said:
This is unconfirmed, but my girlfriend told me in a phone call this morning that a man in Villas Tropimar, the condos adjacent to Caribe Campo in Sosua, was killed by a woman early this morning. She was told this by a security guard as she was leaving the complex this morning. When I hear more, I'll post it. - D

Was the victim a Sankie? Lol. Just kidding. Keep us posted man.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It seems that a man was killed by another man at around 5 am on Sunday in a condo in Villas Tropimar, Sosua. Apparently they knew each other. That's all the information I have. - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suppose this will be the start of another long thread with some people asking for names of those involved and others saying they are cancelling their plans to vacation in Sosua because there are more murderers in Sosua than their are terrorists in Iraq.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W said:
It seems that a man was killed by another man at around 5 am on Sunday in a condo in Villas Tropimar, Sosua. Apparently they knew each other. That's all the information I have. - D
The alleged killer was the 19 year old son of the ex-girlfriend of the deceased. He went there to get back at the victim because he had registered a complaint at the police station. There were some signs of a struggle. The victim, an older German, who was killed with a knife. That's all that can be said right now. Wait for the newspapers.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Eddy said:
The alleged killer was the 19 year old son of the ex-girlfriend of the deceased. He went there to get back at the victim because he had registered a complaint at the police station. There were some signs of a struggle. The victim, an older German, who was killed with a knife. That's all that can be said right now. Wait for the newspapers.

Well here is El Caribe's take, pretty much in line with what Eddy says, except they use the word 'beheading'.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...d=90A826AAC89C427786E80103B28260FF&Seccion=63

See also El Nacional
http://elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=22829
See also Diario Libre
http://www.diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=25343

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken said:
I suppose this will be the start of another long thread with some people asking for names of those involved and others saying they are cancelling their plans to vacation in Sosua because there are more murderers in Sosua than their are terrorists in Iraq.

Ken - I hope you are not saying that this kind of news should not be posted. I have a condo in that building, and there are several older men with Dominican women. Certainly one should be careful in that kind of relationship. I always laugh because one way that my Dominican girlfriend and her freinds and family describe a person is "she has a gringo". It's a perfectly natural way of saying that she's set, or at least doing well. I wonder how many gringo's forget the responsibility and importance that comes along with the relationship. - D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ken said:

Followed by an insensitive joke about making a condolence call, perhaps?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
If the German gentlemen killed was abusing sexually the alledge killer.............

WELL DONE WE NEED TO GET RID OF ALL THE MICHAEL JACKSONS OF THIS WORLD AND SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE >>>>> NOT IN DOMINICANA.
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE LESS.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W said:
Ken - I hope you are not saying that this kind of news should not be posted. I have a condo in that building, and there are several older men with Dominican women. Certainly one should be careful in that kind of relationship. I always laugh because one way that my Dominican girlfriend and her freinds and family describe a person is "she has a gringo". It's a perfectly natural way of saying that she's set, or at least doing well. I wonder how many gringo's forget the responsibility and importance that comes along with the relationship. - D

Danny, if you think it vital to post news of some foreigner being killed in some sort of lovers' dispute, fine with me.

My concern is that post titles like "Another killing in Sosua" help foster the idea that you are in danger of your life if you visit here. The fact that occasional visitors come to this conclusion has been evident in past threads regarding a criminal incident.

Few if any tourists are ever going to come in contact with the Domincans who are killing each other in drug shoot outs or who are killing foreigners in a lovers' dispute. Just like few posters on this board come in contact with those same sort of people in their own country.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken said:
Danny, if you think it vital to post news of some foreigner being killed in some sort of lovers' dispute, fine with me.

My concern is that post titles like "Another killing in Sosua" help foster the idea that you are in danger of your life if you visit here. The fact that occasional visitors come to this conclusion has been evident in past threads regarding a criminal incident.

Few if any tourists are ever going to come in contact with the Domincans who are killing each other in drug shoot outs or who are killing foreigners in a lovers' dispute. Just like few posters on this board come in contact with those same sort of people in their own country.

Ken - You do have a point, and probably very little that is posted here is vital. But on the other hand, my guess is that a decent percentage of single men and women viewing this website have some romantic or sexual involvement with the locals, and that is something with potentially serious consequences for all concerned. In my instance, I feel very fulfilled by my involvement and assume that it will remain so. Possibly the poor guy who was killed at some point felt the same way - or maybe he was up to no good and asking for trouble. But the fact is that 2 nights ago this happened in my building, and I thought people should know about it. I have learned a lot on this website from your posts, and consider you to be one of the truly mature and knowlegeable members, so I'm sorry to disagree with you. But if on the one hand we criticize people for not mixing with the local culture, it would be dishonest not to warn people of the possible dangers. - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But 'people' come in contact with Dominicans killing each other (not to mention innocent bystanders) & people live in the apartment block where the murder happened. It does not matter whether their 'occupation' is tourist, their 'status' is resident & their nationality is British, German or Dominican. They are still people . I understand fears about putting tourists off, but why should possible tourist fears be given higher priority than a poster's wish to inform or a resident's need to receive information?

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but the post is in the "Living" forum isn't it???

The OP was 100% correct to post such information/news here. I along with many others, I'm sure, use forums such as DR1 as a news or "whats going on locally" source.

If any tourist "fosters the idea" that their life is in danger if they visit Sosua, well so be it, but I would give them more credit in their being able to decide for themselves if they even bother to read the "Living" forum.

What we don't need is people who live here being reluctant to post information about their "living" experiences from fear of being bashed by other posters.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is No Need To "Defend" Sosua,or the DR!

It is NEVER a good idea to supress information,"good",or "bad"!
Just as it was important to post about the young Canadian boy who drowned in Puerto Plata,it is important to post about the man that was killed.Unfortunately, some people take the opportunity to "Editorialize" about those events! They put their own "spin" on what has happened,to promote their personal agenda! We really have no idea what was behind the killing.We should wait for some reliable information,(If that is not an "OXYMORON" in the DR!)before ranting about "Sex Tourism",pedophiles,spousal/child abuse,or whatever.!
You should click on the "Diario Libre" website.You can see what Dominicans,and "others", are posting about what happened,and also what they are saying about the other newspaper stories.
Just to get your interest,in the second article,two "lesbians" ,apparently, were performing so called ,"Lesbian Sex Acts", :paranoid: at 2 am on lincoln av. the other morning.They were arrested.The acts were video taped! :)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I have written this before....

Hello guys,

We got to keep this in mind that acts of violence happen everywhere, everyday not just in Sosua. I live in a small town 35 miles north of NYC. It is a nice little Hudson River town complete with boutique shops, art galleries and also with it's low income/welfare housing projects. We experience several murders each year whether it is one drug dealer "offing" his/her competition on some street corner or some wealthy bank executive snuffing out his/her cheating partner in their multi million dollar home. I also live, have family and own business in Sosua, Republica Dominicana. I too have seen violence of both types in this small town, however... Please stop the nonsense that Sosua is some type of murder capital. It happens somewhere, everywhere, everyday to everyone even in your town!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Okay, the news is posted.

If you have an up-date to add to this item, PM or E-mail me.
If I feel it is relevant, I will add it.

Until then, Thread Closed.

Thanks
Tim H. :smoke:

Status
Not open for further replies.