San Cristobal

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have only ever been to san cristobal once. That was on a rainy night to shoot the club gallistico for a documentary project. So needless to say I didn't get to see much of the town.

I am planning on heading there for a day trip and maybe shoot some video while there.

If I don't rent a car, are there buses to San Cristobal? I didn't notice them on the Caribe Tours site. I assume there would be gua guas? I never actually took a gua gua anywhere before, so that may be cool to "experience". Plus I can video tape the "experience" as well. How late do the gua guas run in both directions?

Are there any cheap hotel in town? Maybe I'd decide to stay overnight if I am enjoying myself.

My buddy says the beach is cool, and they have bars etc on the beach. Is there anything else worth seeing or doing in san cristobal? An amiga mentioned casa de caoba and some other trujillo related stuff. She also said they have a lot of "rios" whee the locals have BBQs etc?

Finally my favorite team, and soon to be many dominicans favorite team teh Mets have a training camp in san cristobal. Does anyone know where it is? I'd love to check it out.

Thanks in advance for any info!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
rafael said:
I have only ever been to san cristobal once. That was on a rainy night to shoot the club gallistico for a documentary project. So needless to say I didn't get to see much of the town.

I am planning on heading there for a day trip and maybe shoot some video while there.

If I don't rent a car, are there buses to San Cristobal? I didn't notice them on the Caribe Tours site. I assume there would be gua guas? I never actually took a gua gua anywhere before, so that may be cool to "experience". Plus I can video tape the "experience" as well. How late do the gua guas run in both directions?

Are there any cheap hotel in town? Maybe I'd decide to stay overnight if I am enjoying myself.

My buddy says the beach is cool, and they have bars etc on the beach. Is there anything else worth seeing or doing in san cristobal? An amiga mentioned casa de caoba and some other trujillo related stuff. She also said they have a lot of "rios" whee the locals have BBQs etc?

Finally my favorite team, and soon to be many dominicans favorite team teh Mets have a training camp in san cristobal. Does anyone know where it is? I'd love to check it out.

Thanks in advance for any info!

The Caribe Tours bus to Barahona will take you to San Cristobal. There is a recent post in the trip reports section about this town. The poster stayed with a family, so there is no info on hotels, but you may find it useful.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Great! I will check it out!

sweetdbt said:
The Caribe Tours bus to Barahona will take you to San Cristobal. There is a recent post in the trip reports section about this town. The poster stayed with a family, so there is no info on hotels, but you may find it useful.

karina

Nov 5, 2003
i lived 5 months in San Cristobal....

San Cristobal is an okay town. You can take the guagua from Santo Domingo, the Ruta A or Ruta B both go there. Other ones such as Bani or Azua will drop you off on the highway and you have to walk up to the main road to catch another guagua or concho. Around town, you can take the guagua, but I always found it better to take a concho, it is easier. There are the El Pomier caves to see, it is really nice. A taxi can take you there. Playa Palenque is really nice. The church in the main plaza is pretty. There is alot of history there because it is the hometown of Trujillo.
There are nice rivers in Nizao too.

You can find cheap hotels on Madre Vieja Norte (ask any concho - old highway to Santo Domingo). But, depending how long you stay, it might be easier to stay in the capital and commute (about 40 minutes to Zona Colonial in expreso).

HOpe this helps.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
San Cristobal is my hometown!

The last post has very good info.

There is a hotel called Ayala in the middle of town by the Park by the main Road (where either the Ruta A or Ruta B guaguas can leave you). It is very cheap.

There is another park called Piedra Viva that is very nice, it is near the Cathedral mentioned in the previous post. The best day to go there to people watch is on a Sunday afternoon. You get kids at the park near the Eladeria at the corner, and people just hanging and drinking on Avenida Independencia by Ruben's Boutique. Another Sunday afternoon stop is Mondi Disco - El Parqueo and Car Wash.

There are two main beaches, Najayo and Palenque. I like Najoyo better, but you can eat, drink and dance at both beaches. There is also La Toma which is a pool-type (baniario) place where they have parties but is open every day.

For nightlife there is a Mondi Disco, Messanote, and Cafe Ypioca.

The baseball training site you are looking for is by the Highway 27 - Cleef can give you more info on that - he's the baseball guru for DR here. If you to San Cristobal before the Baseball season starts in the States, you will be able to catch a lot of players around in San Cristobal.

For more info, San Cristobal's main website is SANCRIENBONCHE.COM and also go to SANCRISTOBALNET.COM.