Lately I have noticed many people want to move to DR. I am just curius as to why?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Lately I have seen threads started up by members from all over the world, wanting to relocate to DR. I just wanted to ask some of those people as to why they want to live in the DR?. I mean first you will earn alot less money than you are earning now. And there are no good jobs. I know some have retired and some want to be with their lovers. What would be other reason if any. I just wanted to hear some input. Thanks all

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
I would guess that as the DR is one of the most popular and fastest growing tourist destinations in the Caribbean, this brings the idea to the attention of a lot more people. This is an area blessed with stunning beauty, great people, good weather and usually a lower cost of living than the interested parties homeland. Okay, maybe the weather and living costs are not so fantastic at the moment, but then that's why people come to message boards like these, to find out! Hey, everyone loves the sun! :cool:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
stallion said:
...................... I mean first you will earn alot less money than you are earning now. And there are no good jobs.............................

i should think everyone has there own, possibly, very different reasons. they may or may not tell you what they are.

what i don't understand is what you meant in the quote above......................... how can you possibly know those things?

or is your question only directed at low class gringos?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
A significant number of those seriously contemplating the move (myself included) are planning on retiring there. We go there on vacation, and then go back again and again, and decide it's where we want to live. Then we plan how we're going to pay for it. I think a lot of the younger posters who enquire about it just don't know the wage structure and the cost of living. Fortunately they have DR1 to set them straight.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
stallion said:
Lately I have seen threads started up by members from all over the world, wanting to relocate to DR. I just wanted to ask some of those people as to why they want to live in the DR?. I mean first you will earn alot less money than you are earning now. And there are no good jobs. I know some have retired and some want to be with their lovers. What would be other reason if any. I just wanted to hear some input. Thanks all

I'm the wrong side of 35, I'm not retired and didn't move here because of a lover. I arrived here with very little, some clothes, US$2,000, credit card and every intention of going back home after my 2 week vacation was up.

I fell in love with the country and slowly built a life here. I was very fortunate to meet some great people (Dominicans) in my early days that made the journey to the point I'm at now much easier. These people I regard as my second family.

Who say's we all earn less, those of us that have businesses or employed here?

I live here because of the lifestyle, country, climate and people. Something I never found in the right proportions in the other countries I lived and worked in before landing in the DR.

The only reason that's important is YOUR reason. Why some of us are here really has no bearing on why you should or shouldn't be here.

Last edited:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
bochinche said:
i should think everyone has there own, possibly, very different reasons. they may or may not tell you what they are.

what i don't understand is what you meant in the quote above......................... how can you possibly know those things?

or is your question only directed at low class gringos?

I am not directing to specific people. I mean retirement is fine because you have retirement savings plan and you will life of pension. I mean for the younger crowd, how they going to survive. They will not make $35,000 annual north american salary in the DR. So I hope my quote did not offend you. Everytime I say something good or bad, I get questioned. I just speak my mind, I am not targeting anyone. So please chill out.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Robert said:
I'm the wrong side of 35, I'm not retired and didn't move here because of a lover.

Who say's we all earn less, those of us that have businesses or employed here?

I live here because of the lifestyle, country, climate and people. Something I never found in the right proportions in the other six countries I lived and worked in before landing in the DR.

The only reason that's important is YOUR reason. Why some of us are here really has no bearing on why you should or shouldn't be here.

Hi Robert, You have simply answered my question. Have saved up back at home and invested in their own business. Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me add...

When your young and independent, the worst thing you can really loose here is time, the $$$ are replaceable. Whatever way you look at it, often the experience far exceeds the loss of a few months or the odd year and $$$.

What do they say, success is a journey, not a destination?
All I can tell you is this... This country is truly an amazing destination and really enhances the journey.

If you can survive the initial obstacles, you will do fine. The great thing about DR1 and it's posters, is that it identifies most of these obstacles and often offers solutions on how to overcome them. An invaluable resource that some people should really exploit a lot more than they do.

One of my goals aside from helping develop DR1, is to set up an environment that allows small web based businesses to re-locate to the DR, survive and prosper all under one roof (office space/building). A roof that provides the support structure, infrastructure and collective knowledge to help make their businesses a success. This type of environment or incubator concept breeds great ideas and is very "dooable" in the DR. Already we have 4-5 small web based businesses that I know of that are doing well and growing in either Santo Domingo or Santiago.

Santo Domingo in my opinion is a great city for this type of "under one roof" venture. It offers good connectivity, first world living standards, great lifestyle and when you combine that with a strong support network, it can be a wonderful city to live and work in.

Ok, enough of my ramblings...

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hi Robert,

I like your succes story, You really do give people hope. I mean you did yourself good. Also nobody would believe some one turning so little in to so much. I am sure you had so much do add. Well thanks for your story, It made sense to me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
stallion said:
So I hope my quote did not offend you. Everytime I say something good or bad, I get questioned. I just speak my mind, I am not targeting anyone. So please chill out.
Stallion, when people question you or your motives or your posts, that means that whatever you posted actually matters to them, to the point that they took the time to post a question to you.

As such, don't get offended or mad at people when they respond to you in less than perfect ways, just take it as a sign that you are not just another poster! You are somebody people don't take for granted here, for whatever reason...

It sure beats not being noticed!

Now, if the same people are constantly questioning every single thing you post, then I can see why the agitation, but if its different people all the time, just take it in stride.

At least you know that what you say is taken seriously by someone and you are not just talking to a wall, figuratively speaking.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Robert said:
That is very true.

Very often I find myself starting new side businesses and try out things I normally would not try in an attempt at being successful, but once I do become successful at accomplishing my goal, I get rather board!

I actually enjoyed becoming successful rather than actually being successful in whatever it is that I do!

And, isn't interesting how the most success in your life comes from the things that you almost quitted from!

The biggest rewards (monetary, personal satisfaction, etc) in a particular project (whether is a new business or a new relationship, etc) comes from the project that was so hard at a particular point in time that you almost quit, but for some reason you didn't and then, the tide turned and success poured in like a dam breaking and letting all that water flood the drought depressed valley!

Ah, the things of life. I guess these are the things that makes life so exciting and these are the things that also bring much joy and good stories into our lives.

The key is never to quit in whatever you want to do.

Whether it is moving to this wonderful island, starting a business, or initiating a relationship, never quit! The day you fail is the day you believe you fail, but as long that you believe that you will win, even when you fail in the end you will win, guaranteed!

Of course, in order to win anything you want, you have to be persistent. In general, whoever wants something from me, they only get it if they are persistent enough. That shows me that they truly wanted whatever it was that they wanted from me and they are willing to do anything to get what they want.

Nothing is better in this world than a person who knows what he/she wants, and then goes out there and get it!

Anyone who wants to quote me, go right ahead. I'm sure that what I have expressed here will only motive people into acheiving their goals.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The one thing that shocks me most is the price of food.

After six months I am finally realizing that 60 pesos for a half a pound of cheese is $2 US. That pretty much the going US price.

I dont see how Dominicans make it on $4,000 pesos a month. And I dont think I ever will.
TEHAMA

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
a year on ...

my wife and son passed the year anniversary of being here in the DR in November (the 9th to be precise)

We have had a trauma or two !! but mostly of our own doing.

All in all its been fantastic.

We were a professional couple, both senior managers with large companies - both had the mandatory laptop, mobile phone, company car and expense accounts. Our jobs paid for a beautiful home in the Kent countryside in England that we loved and we pretty much had things that we wanted. But, we had a son who was just a year old that we hardly ever saw.

We were working - he was in a nursery. Our life revolver around work so much we spent 3 evenings and one afternoon together - and a Sunday each week. We hated it.

Now we are here, we spend the most of each day together - our son, who is nearly three now, counts to ten and says some words in Spanish and swims like a fish. My wife is with him every day and we have enjoyed seeing him grow and develop. That has been worth all the money in the world to us.

We hope it lasts - but if it doesn?t, this part of our 'journey' has been fantastic and fulfilling.

A beautiful country, fantastic people and a wonderful experience. Please god may it continue.

CT

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
corporal C

I think from what i have heard that people want to move to the Dominicna republic because the people are probably nicer and more relaxed than residents in there own countries so they wanna move somewhere they have good memories of. :)

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
stallion said:

well we are planning on comeing down during the winter it,s 8 outside and snowing it gives you a different slant on life makes it more intresting if it.s
raining at least it warm

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
There are alot of reasons people move here , i tend to look at it as if people just do not like cold weather .They are tired of extreme winters and Dr is alot cheaper than Florida.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
There are alot of reasons people move here , i tend to look at it as if people just do not like cold weather .They are tired of extreme winters and Dr is alot cheaper than Florida.[/QUOTE

yes, you are right cold weather is a main factor and yes you are right again things are cheaper in The DR than North America.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Robert said:
Let me add...

When your young and independent, the worst thing you can really loose here is time, the $$$ are replaceable. Whatever way you look at it, often the experience far exceeds the loss of a few months or the odd year and $$$.

All I can tell you is this... This country is truly an amazing destination and really enhances the journey.

If you can survive the initial obstacles, you will do fine. The great thing about DR1 and it's posters, is that it identifies most of these obstacles and often offers solutions on how to overcome them. An invaluable resource that some people should really exploit a lot more than they do.

One of my goals aside from helping develop DR1, is to set up an environment that allows small web based businesses to re-locate to the DR, survive and prosper all under one roof (office space/building). A roof that provides the support structure, infrastructure and collective knowledge to help make their businesses a success. This type of environment or incubator concept breeds great ideas and is very "dooable" in the DR. Already we have 4-5 small web based businesses that I know of that are doing well and growing in either Santo Domingo or Santiago.

Santo Domingo in my opinion is a great city for this type of "under one roof" venture. It offers good connectivity, first world living standards, great lifestyle and when you combine that with a strong support network, it can be a wonderful city to live and work in.

Ok, enough of my ramblings...

I like your positive attitude, some day we may be living in DR. I've read a lot of negative threads concerning how the cost of living in DR has risen, so have the cost in other countries. I was getting a little concerned about the prices. My husband thinks we can live of $50K (Just live of the interest). What do you think?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Can Get 50% Interest,He Is Right!!

Other than that he is wwrong!
To those who say that you can live "cheaper" in the DR,you too are right.You like living in a "slum" with no electricity,or water,and eating "Espagetti","Come On Down"!
My electric bill alone would be US $ 300 a month,if I actually paid it!
Cars= double US
Homes in "Good" areas =Equal to US "average"
Food=More Expensive here!
"Fuel" = More here!

"Pay-For-Play"=Now we have to give the DR a "HUGE" advantage!!!