hotel romanoff in sosua

NyPrince

Jan 17, 2005
Just returned home from my trip to sosua. I found a hotel online called romanoff hotel. I didnt really know much about the hotel , but I made reservation for 6 days, since i couldn't find another hotel. This hotel has got to be the worst hotel in Sosua. They dont have curtains on their windows, I couldn't even get a good night sleep ,i was getting a tan sleeping in the bed in the morning..there is no water pressure, i didnt even have a good shower all the time i was there. On top of that the bed was so hard I was having back pain, not to mention there are many dominicans that live in the hotel with there families, so i have to deal with the noise early in the morning , kids crying , people spanking their kids. I kept looking for another hotel to stay, but the hotels in sosua were full , because of the high tourist season. after the 4th day I finally found a hotel called villa chessa, a very clean , quite hotel, So i went back to romanoff to check out at 10:00am in the morning. I had 2 more days remaining , and they told me they would only refund me 1 day. When i complained about the hotel , they ask me what the hell do i expect for $35.00 per night, they told me i didn"t have to stay at their hotel. This hotel is the worse hotel in sosua. I will never even wake by this hotel again, and i wouldn't even recommend this hotel to anyone ..

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hotels in Sosua during the "high season"

I know NY Prince and I was with him during this time. I really felt for him because there wasn't any vacancies in Sosua during the week of his stay. His claim regarding the Romanoff Hotel are true. If I knew that he pre-selected this place I would have warned him about it. This hotel is no different then many hotels in and around Sosua that have seen better days a long, long time ago. These run down, mis-managed hotels (I even hate to call them hotels) were the places to go to before the AIs moved into the area. Now to be able to survive they have allowed residents (mostly Dominicans) to move in and if you stay there you will experience a domestic enviroment.

Anyone wishing to travel to the Dominican Republic or any other Caribbean destination should make reservations well in advance. Use www.hispaniola.com or www.DR1.com for hotel info.

NYprince will never do this again as he should have known better.

Scottie

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Safe bet the locals living there aren't paying $35 a night. Maybe not for a week. The least they could do is put curtains on the windows of the rooms they are renting nightly. $35 doesn't sound like much, but in this case it was highway robbery.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sweetdbt said:
Safe bet the locals living there aren't paying $35 a night. Maybe not for a week. The least they could do is put curtains on the windows of the rooms they are renting nightly. $35 doesn't sound like much, but in this case it was highway robbery.

It was $15 a night in the summer??

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jimmydr said:
It was $15 a night in the summer??

No doubt it was, and it sounds like it may not be worth that, but the OP said he paid 35. Law of supply and demand.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
No doubt it was, and it sounds like it may not be worth that, but the OP said he paid 35. Law of supply and demand.

I've never had a problem there, and would continue to recommend it to budget travellers. I think we paid $25 us for the top level room overlooking the pool with a kitchen. Another time, 600 pesos for a bed and bathroom. I'm not one to fuss over hot water, curtains or bed softness. I liked the location, nice grounds, laid back atmosphere, and great people. To each their own I guess. Why is it so busy in Sosua right now?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
sweetdbt said:

From what NYprince told me, it was horrendous with the noise, the sun blasting into his eyes, the bed like cement, roosters in the morning so on and so forth. When he demanded to get his money back the woman manager, whom I will not name refused to pay him.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Nelly said:
I've never had a problem there, and would continue to recommend it to budget travellers. I think we paid $25 us for the top level room overlooking the pool with a kitchen. Another time, 600 pesos for a bed and bathroom. I'm not one to fuss over hot water, curtains or bed softness. I liked the location, nice grounds, laid back atmosphere, and great people. To each their own I guess. Why is it so busy in Sosua right now?

To all concerned:

I think that NYprince is just trying to tell people his experience. If you like this type of place then please continue to use it. However, many people do not like these conditions even at budget prices. Some people, depending on where they live bathe with hot water and others it does not matter. Some people expect at least a basic curtain to block out the sun in the morning. These people are only asking for basic "quality of life" items not 4 or 5 star accomodations. However, we will continue to report these types of places that insist on ripping people off of refund money when they wish to move out. That is not a hotel with a good reputation.

Now a place like Rockys at $18 per night is a fantastic bargain with a small color TV with cable, fulltime electric, blurred windows that point away from the sun, hot water complete with fresh soap and a towell as well as a great restaurant is the place! But..I am sure that some people want to stay at a hotel for less then that and I guess cold water (if there is electric to power the pump), no electric, no soap, toilet paper ect is what they would consider a bargain then go for it.

Figgy1020

Sep 30, 2004
Hotel Romanoff

I have stayed at Romanoff several times and the only thing I will agree with is the bed is very hard...but other than that...I think its a great, reasonably priced place to stay at...and the lady at the front desk is a sweetheart and will assist you in any way...perhaps NY Prince gave her some NY attitude...
now regarding roosters, natives and the sun...HELLLOOOO your in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...what did u expect??? sirens and gun shots???
next time plan a trip to Jamaica.....Jamaica, Queens that is...

p.s. I just got back from Hotel Romanoff on Jan. 17...I was there from the 7-17...there was never a day without rain and/or many clouds...when exactly was the sun coming through your window?? your room had windows? not to mention the tall palm trees around the pool that provide shade....are u sure you were in Hotel Romanoff in Sosua...

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Figgy1020 said:
I have stayed at Romanoff several times and the only thing I will agree with is the bed is very hard...but other than that...I think its a great, reasonably priced place to stay at...and the lady at the front desk is a sweetheart and will assist you in any way...perhaps NY Prince gave her some NY attitude...
now regarding roosters, natives and the sun...HELLLOOOO your in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...what did u expect??? sirens and gun shots???
next time plan a trip to Jamaica.....Jamaica, Queens that is...

p.s. I just got back from Hotel Romanoff on Jan. 17...I was there from the 7-17...there was never a day without rain and/or many clouds...when exactly was the sun coming through your window?? your room had windows? not to mention the tall palm trees around the pool that provide shade....are u sure you were in Hotel Romanoff in Sosua...

I happen to be of Dominican blood and I know all about my culture. However thanks for your input and visiting mi patria. I don't know what the remark about Jamaica, Queens was about and where it belongs in this thread. My input to this thread was in regards to people that DO NOT like this atmosphere. Hello what? If you do not wish to listen to roosters, moto conchos and veggie salesmen than there are places, perhaps not for $35 but still possible. Now as I said, if you are the type of person that enjoys these things (noise of living in an apartment building ect) good for you. NYprince and his NY attitude did not like the Romanoff. His right to voice his opinion is just as guaranteed as yours. NYprince is an easy going guy but when the "sweet lady" refused to refund money (for days he was NOT staying there for) perhaps the NY attitude came out. Just curious as to what you would do if this "sweetheart" told you that she was not refunding your money? Just curious?

NYprince found a nice quiet, clean, comfortable place called Hotel Chessa and he was very happy there. Glad you enjoyed the Romanoff, NYprince did not!

Last edited:

Figgy1020

Sep 30, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
I happen to be of Dominican blood and I know all about my culture. However thanks for your input and visiting mi patria. I don't know what the remark about Jamaica, Queens was about and where it belongs in this thread. My input to this thread was in regards to people that DO NOT like this atmosphere. Hello what? If you do not wish to listen to roosters, moto conchos and veggie salesmen than there are places, perhaps not for $35 but still possible. Now as I said, if you are the type of person that enjoys these things (noise of living in an apartment building ect) good for you. NYprince and his NY attitude did not like the Romanoff. His right to voice his opinion is just as guaranteed as yours. NYprince is an easy going guy but when the "sweet lady" refused to refund money (for days he was NOT staying there for) perhaps the NY attitude came out. Just curious as to what you would do if this "sweetheart" told you that she was not refunding your money? Just curious?

NYprince found a nice quiet, clean, comfortable place called Hotel Chessa and he was very happy there. Glad you enjoyed the Romanoff, NYprince did not!

DominicanScotty are u the appointed speaker for NY Prince? just curious..
In any event I was simply posting my opinion

"I happen to be of Dominican blood and I know all about my culture. However thanks for your input and visiting mi patria..."

So what? so am I...I'm dominican too...what does that have to do with anything? "visiting your patria" .... that's my second home...I'm in Sosua every 6-8 weeks...and I always stay at Romanoff...never had a problem...that was all my post was about...I don't know why you took it soo personal...

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Figgy1020 said:
DominicanScotty are u the appointed speaker for NY Prince? just curious..
In any event I was simply posting my opinion

"I happen to be of Dominican blood and I know all about my culture. However thanks for your input and visiting mi patria..."

So what? so am I...I'm dominican too...what does that have to do with anything? "visiting your patria" .... that's my second home...I'm in Sosua every 6-8 weeks...and I always stay at Romanoff...never had a problem...that was all my post was about...I don't know why you took it soo personal...

Good, enjoy "our" country then.