Just returned from Juan Dolio

alicia68

Dec 28, 2004
I have just returned yesterday from Juan Dolio. I am a travel agent and the purpose of my trip was to check some of the Barcelo properties. They did not know before hand that I was a TA as I wanted to check them out from the perspective of clients. Anyway I wasn't impressed at all. First resort Talanquera. Overall it was a bad experience. First room was on top floor after contacting hotel directly for a ground floor. They moved us after alot of complaining at the front desk. Seems they couldn't figure out why I can't stay on the top floor with a daughter that uses a wheel chair and no elevators. Anyway, next room. Great ground floor near pool! Open the door one bed for 4 people. Won't move us. Fine husband and I sleep on floor for the night. Next day more front desk. People who work the front desk are rude (not just to us but to everyone who wasn't local) Finally new room on main floor but too small for wheel chair. Ok we'll make do. No hot water at all. No water pressure at all. This happened to many people in resort. One of the beds had a large hole in the mattress. Still we try to make the best of it because at least there is no snow. Bathroom is infested with ants. This place is a dump! The only thing going for it is the wait staff in the buffet restaurants and the bar staff. they were very friendly. The Capella is very nice. The food here was no different then the Talanquera. Front desk and housekeeping were also approximately the same as well. The property itself is nice with very nice rooms. The Colonia was the nicest one of all. Staff were great. Food was good. Rooms were nice. It's too bad that this island has some of the problems that it does such as sanitation issues etc. If going there though be sure to take a tour of colonial Santo Domingo very interesting! To sum it up I would be very hesitant to send clients to this part of the island and definitely not to a Barcelo property! :cry:

alicia68

Dec 28, 2004
I happen to agree with you but unfortunately there are some clients out there that WANT to go to an AI.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While not a great fan of AIs

I do appreciate them for a really "Do Nothing" week...

As for the Barcel? properties, I am surprised. Usually these Spanish operations are very client oriented. I think you shoud write headquarters and tell them of your take on things. Feedback does do wonders in the hospitality industry.

And, have you tried the North Shore? POP, Sosua and Cabarete? And, soon, Luper?n?

Hummmm might be interesting.

HB :D

tasha28

Mar 9, 2006
I also stayed at the Talanquera 3 weeks ago and you are right. That hotel is a dump especially for the $114 per night rate I paid. Waited 5 mins for the water to get warm enough to take a shower. The water in the bathroom pooled up after every shower. Maybe the tub had a leak. Had to go to front desk twice to ask for clean towels. Look at your towels to make sure they are clean cause they will refold the dirty towels that you left on the floor. My girlfriend had cut herself and I was drying my skin when I noticed I was using her dirty towel. The bar staff is nice. The best part of the trip. Mattress felt like solid wood and smelled the comforter smelled like it was never washed. Room stank.

I will go back to that area but definitely not there. Any recommendations on where I can stay next trip. Same area? Can you recommend cheap hotels too cause if all the hotels are the same, might as well not spend much for my stay there.

tasha28

Mar 9, 2006
Recommendations for CHEAP apts/hotels in Juan Dolio?

Can any tell me of hotel or hotel apt in Juan Dolio that is under $80/night.

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
just returned from juan dolio

alli would recommend is the hemingway and the costa del sol metro country club which hopefully will be ready in six months i believe they will have rentals with all the amenities ;) ;) ;)

Sep 19, 2005
I stayed at the Coral hilton in Juan Dolio. I posted a report on it as well

basically my take was some of these people who run the places could care less what people paying to stay there think. They are like robots.. they dont hear a thing and just go about the duties and only the duties given.

you can find good places...it may be tough getting the best of everything at one place.....the Coral Hilton hotel could have changed my mind even though the room had faults..if they had just given in onthe additional charges for one of my rooms. L That was $18 for a bag of peanuts and small can of pringles and a coke!!!!!!!

crap like that is free and a write off .. but they stick to their guns and make sure Ill never go back

because i know that not all the room can have the problems mine did( I had 2 rooms, one for my gfs mother and the other for me and my gf)

things that are stupis and just assinine, really tick you of more than some little problem in the room...maybe they cant fix the room right away, maybe they dont have other rooms.... but the stuff that is easy...they are still hard headed about

I would add that 3 years ago I went to a hotel in la romana.. the coral canoa something... 3 star I think....everything was great!!!!!!!!!

not one single complaint!!!!!!!!

bob

tasha28

Mar 9, 2006
contact info for hotels in juan dolio

Do you happen to have a tel no. for hotels currently open in that area or maybe some directory listing. This would be for the less popular hotels I'm asking for.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Do a search for Plaza Perla Mar in Juan Dolio....
Above Il Cappucino....
Not a hotel - rather rooms to rent....
Nice rooms - A/C , cable TV, Kitchenette etc.
Cleaned daily with fresh towels....right on the beach.
Had friends who stayed there for two weeks and loved it! They just left Monday.
I posted the phone # in a thread for rellosk.....
price fro US$25/night depending on room.
Your Welcome!

mesa

Dec 12, 2006
Looking for first hand experience with the Albatros. Clean? AC? Plenty of hot water? Towels? Service? Please advise.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can't tell you much about Albatros other than that I have met people who stay there every year.......Lot's of Italians from Italy and Canada make it their winter home for a few months at a time.
It's a little out of the way at the far end of the Villas Del Mar section of Juan Dolio.

mesa

Dec 12, 2006
thank you !!!! it is so nice you offer advice. Any suggestions for my wife who was looking for a 5 star hotel and spa atmosphere? Is there anything around for her to do? Or our children? In advance, thanks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes.....there is a spa just down the street from Albatross.
Located in the small plaza that houses Banco Popular and a medical center.
I'm not sure if Albatross has a childrens' club but there really isn't much in Juan Dolio for children other than the beach.
You might take them to Metro Golf and Country club for a round of mini golf and there is a children's play area (if they are young) there also.
Flor di Loto offers yoga classes Mon. Weds & Fri. from 5PM to 6PM. Children are welcomed if accompanied by an adult so you or your wife (or both) might want to check out the classes. It is located at the far end of old Juan Dolio on the beach road so a motoconcho ride would be in order to get there or you could catch a guagua from the main highway.