Parakeets as Pets

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
The kids had been bothering us for a pet, and the little guy was home from school with a fever, so I broke down and got them a couple of parakeets. Found a shop on Nunez near Ricart, birds were 200 apiece and the cage was 650. Didn't seem too bad. Never really was a bird person, but already I'm getting attached. Does anybody else keep parakeets, will they breed, what should I watch out for? Any advice would be great. I know in NY they die pretty easily, have seen alot of them bite the dust. Are they hardier here?

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
This is my second reply. Apparently, the first was lost due to the computer glitch. I have had a love/hate relationship with parakeets for many years. At times, I have gotten rid of all of them only to start buying more after a few months. They are colorful and interesting birds, but can also be noisy and messy. I have 6 couples out on the balcony where I can sweep away whatever debris falls from their cages. The first chicks of the year began to
hatch a few days ago. I strongly suggest that you do a Google search under 'budgerigars' and read all the information available before you decide if you want only a pair for your children to enjoy or want to move on and have parakeets as a full-time pastime.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Oh Dear .....

My original answer got lost in the server crash. It took me an age to write and I just cant be bothered to write it all again.

I'm sure that caged birds bring happiness to lots of people but not necessarily to the birds themselves. I personally can not see a single reason why anyone would ever want to cage a bird. I think it is mean spirited. They've got wings so they can fly, not so they can get stuffed into a tiny cage.

Do you have Dominican green parakeets? Have all their feathers been pulled out to make them look cute? If so then you're in hot water my friend, take them back to the shop before you get a call from the police. They are an endangered species and it is illegal to keep them as pets.

The cost of keeping birds is explained in my previous post of a few days ago called parrot problems. I hope you have plenty of room in your house and very deep pockets. It would be cheaper and less messy to keep a large dog!

Food wise - you buy the stuff in any supermarket. They will adore sunflower seeds but don't just give them sunflowers, they need to vary their diet. Fresh fruit every day, but NEVER AVOCADO - it's poisonous to them. They need a large sturdy bowl of water to wash in and drink from - forget those water tubes they are useless, and don't forget a stone so they can sharpen their beaks for cage and furniture destruction! Clean them out twice a day or you can bet you'll get an infestation of ants, termites, or 'roaches. The cage you bought for a few dollars is going to be way too small. Throw it away and build them an aviary or you'll have to turn them loose in your house. My aviary was a bit small for two birds but not too bad.

- Oh don't forget they live many, many years - I don't know an average, but I would guess they will be with you for at least another 15 years.

Next time can I suggest a goldfish?

Simon

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Simon & Nicky said:
I'm sure that caged birds bring happiness to lots of people but not necessarily to the birds themselves. I personally can not see a single reason why anyone would ever want to cage a bird.

I agree! Never quite understood this caging business, but I do have friends that look after their birds as beloved pets and the birds seem happy. I also don't like the goldfish business ;) Cannot bear to see any animal caged or bowled..

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I am reliably informed ....

A goldfish has such a short memory that he has no idea that he's even in a bowl. "Oooooh never seen that before"; "Oooooh never seen that before"; etc. and so forth.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
My original answer got lost in the server crash. It took me an age to write and I just cant be bothered to write it all again.

I'm sure that caged birds bring happiness to lots of people but not necessarily to the birds themselves. I personally can not see a single reason why anyone would ever want to cage a bird. I think it is mean spirited. They've got wings so they can fly, not so they can get stuffed into a tiny cage.

Do you have Dominican green parakeets? Have all their feathers been pulled out to make them look cute? If so then you're in hot water my friend, take them back to the shop before you get a call from the police. They are an endangered species and it is illegal to keep them as pets.

The cost of keeping birds is explained in my previous post of a few days ago called parrot problems. I hope you have plenty of room in your house and very deep pockets. It would be cheaper and less messy to keep a large dog!

Food wise - you buy the stuff in any supermarket. They will adore sunflower seeds but don't just give them sunflowers, they need to vary their diet. Fresh fruit every day, but NEVER AVOCADO - it's poisonous to them. They need a large sturdy bowl of water to wash in and drink from - forget those water tubes they are useless, and don't forget a stone so they can sharpen their beaks for cage and furniture destruction! Clean them out twice a day or you can bet you'll get an infestation of ants, termites, or 'roaches. The cage you bought for a few dollars is going to be way too small. Throw it away and build them an aviary or you'll have to turn them loose in your house. My aviary was a bit small for two birds but not too bad.

- Oh don't forget they live many, many years - I don't know an average, but I would guess they will be with you for at least another 15 years.

Next time can I suggest a goldfish?

Simon

It seems that we are talking about two different kinds of birds. Budgerigars are the colorful, little birds that we see in all pet shops and people refer to as 'parakeets'. Parakeets are a species of their own, are a bit larger, and do need more space. If birds or other animals should be kept in cages, bowls, or set free is another issue. However, it does seem that we are discussing this among ourselves as the original author of this post has not corresponded on any of our comments...

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Parakeets are great...

If you don't mind a noisy wild animal that defacates everywhere. :eek:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
LatinoRican said:
However, it does seem that we are discussing this among ourselves as the original author of this post has not corresponded on any of our comments...

I am listening/reading, and appreciate your answers and advice. Sorry the thread got lost in the server crash, but i did read all the postings right before the crash. I was just looking for a little information about keeping these little birds happy. I've had too many pets to mention, I've had friends with parrots, and know the trouble and mess they can be. We're living in an apartment and can't really get a dog right now. I think it's good for the kids to understand about taking care of other beings, and they really wanted a pet. Living in an apartment in SD is more confining than I realized and anything extra that keeps the kids active, interested, happy, is worth the trouble. Wasn't really up for a debate on the topic, so I just laid back and read the reponses. Have a nice day :classic:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Update on my birdies

Well it's been over a year since we got our little pets and I can now say from experience they are great little pets. Less trouble than fish, really cheap to keep, and give the kids a sense of responsibility. In response to those who think it cruel to keep birds in a cage I have a little story.

Last month my mother-in-law noticed a little grey budgie on the rooftop aross from my building looking lost and bewildered. She whistled her little bird call and he flew over to our cage. I held out a little seed in my hand and he flew right into my hand. I opened the cage door, and he seemed happy and relieved to jump inside. Now we have three little budgies and they're actually quieter now that they have a threesome. From time to time I leave the cage door open just to see if they really want to make a break for it, but so far they seem very content to hang out and sing their songs for free room and board.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Naufrago, I think you made the right decision. It is good for kids to have pets, and the pets are after all domesticated species and that is why they are happy to sing in their cages for free room and board. It is the undomesticated species that become unhappy over time. I was a country kid, had all kinds of animals in the house and outside in the yard, including skunks, raccoons, snakes, lizards, etc. But we wouldnt keep the wild ones for long. Usually they were either caught by me in the wild and observed for a short while, or in the case of coons and skunks, found as abandoned kittens and reared until they were able to fend for themselves. They know well enough when it is time to leave. They just go.

Last edited:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Pics?

May we see a picture of the 'keet? A poster mentioned that parakeets and budgerigars are different birds...yes and no...I'm Canadian, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Americans call budgerigars or budgies parakeets...

This is what I'm thinking you may have.

Budgerigar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, I have had budgies for a long time. I'm biased, but they're cheeky and fun once trained...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Yes, those are definitely the birds, we "Americans" call them Parakeets. I had heard the term Budgies but never knew what it referred to until corrected on this thread.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I was a country kid, had all kinds of animals in the house and outside in the yard, including skunks, raccoons, snakes, lizards, etc. But we wouldnt keep the wild ones for long.

I was a city kid, and we too always managed to trap or find some wild animals. My brother worked for a vet and once brought home a baby coon that was abandoned and burned. Wild animals are just that, they let you know that they're not happy from the get go. I could never keep another being against its will, just not in my Karma to do so.