A few questions for you.

perrdl

Jan 20, 2005
My wife and I are due to arrive at Puerto Plata on the 30th Jan, and we are staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. After reading a few reviews on the hotel and the area, we are fairly happy that we have made the correct choice with regards to the hotel. We are a bit concerned that the weather seems better towards the south of the island, but I am sure its going to be a lot better than the weather we have in the UK at the moment.

I have a couple of questions though that people may be able to help me with.

1) I have noticed that there has been lots and lots of rain at the moment, and we are a bit scared that will will get no time to spend in the sun. When it rains, is it usually for a couple of hours, or does it tend to last for the majority of the day?

2) Has anybody been to the hotel we are going too? If so, is there anywhere under cover where we can sit and have a drink if it does start to rain, as we don't really want to be sat in our room.

3) We have been looking on the internet for a reliable weather forecast, and we have found that every one seems to be different. CNN could show it as being sunny, where as another site could say it is raining. Is there a web site that anybody has found to be fairly reliable? The only site I trust seems to be the daily news on here, but it would be nice to have a reasonably reliable forecast.

Thats about it, I just wanted to say that this is a great site, and many thanks to the people who put all the effort into the site!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It "should " be better by then

The Ibero Star is my son's most favorite place on the North Shore. He gives it a very high rating. Everyone I have spoken to have enjoyed it a lot.

As far as the rain goes, we are having very unusual weather this year, I don't know if it is La Ni?a, El Ni?o, Global Warming or if it was because we did something to offend the Good Lord. It has rained for about 38 of the last 40 days here in Santiago, and while rain is well appreciated in this agricultural land, ?Enough is Enough!!

That said, you will have enough sun to get very sunburned, so be sure to bring some sun block. Clouds don't matter and you can get just as burned on a cloudy day as in bright sunlight.

The hotel does have plenty of areas for a quiet drink and relax.

There are things to do besides sitting in the hotel. You can get out and about, see some of the area., go over to Sosua or Cabarete for the day...things like that.

As for a "reliable weather forecast" , Isn't that an oxymoron???

Have fun,

HB :D:D:D

perrdl

Jan 20, 2005
The hotel sounds great!

I will keep my fingers crossed for the weather, I don't fancy sitting in the sun when its raining :D I have always been lucky with the weather on previous holidays, so hopefully some of my good luck rubs of on this one!

We will be hopefully going around as much as we can whilst we are there, hopefully the rain won't put a stop to that!

Would you say that the best way to see places like Sosua or Cabarete is to book a trip, or to take public transport or a taxi ride over to them? Have you any idea how much it may cost us to do this?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
perrdl said:
The hotel sounds great!

I will keep my fingers crossed for the weather, I don't fancy sitting in the sun when its raining :D I have always been lucky with the weather on previous holidays, so hopefully some of my good luck rubs of on this one!

We will be hopefully going around as much as we can whilst we are there, hopefully the rain won't put a stop to that!

Would you say that the best way to see places like Sosua or Cabarete is to book a trip, or to take public transport or a taxi ride over to them? Have you any idea how much it may cost us to do this?

Hello,

It is great to see that you have chosen one of the finest hotels on the North Coast! You will have no problem at all getting transportation to any of your choices of places to visit. Taxis wait outside your hotel and will bring you to and then back to your hotel. Negociate with the driver for a good round trip fare and you will enjoy your stay no matter what the weather does!

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
"SEEING" the weather

perrdl said:
.....We have been looking on the internet for a reliable weather forecast, and we have found that every one seems to be different.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words don't they. So here is a webcam view of the beach at Cabarete which is not far from your hotel. You can then see if the reports you are reading are accurate.

http://www.windsofcabarete.com/windsOfCabarete/webcam.jsp?id=1

In the last week I have been seeing pictures on the news from around the world where its been raining more than usual. Its been flooding and washing out roads and knocking down houses all at the same time in Northern England, New Zealand, Vancouver B.C. Canada as well as the Dominican Republic of course.

New Zealand had its worst weather in December in the last 60 years.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
this weather stuff had BEST clear itself up by the time i arrive on feb 24!!!!!!

One thing i noticed (at least on the south coast)...is that i would check the weather on cnn.com and it would say partly cloudy and it might be cloudy for and hour or two...and when it said rain...it rained like crazy for about 30 mins...but the rest of the day was ok.

From what i have gathered from weather reports from the south...it seems promising...for me at least.

Hope it works out for YOU!!!!

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
rain

perrdl said:
My wife and I are due to arrive at Puerto Plata on the 30th Jan, and we are staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. After reading a few reviews on the hotel and the area, we are fairly happy that we have made the correct choice with regards to the hotel. We are a bit concerned that the weather seems better towards the south of the island, but I am sure its going to be a lot better than the weather we have in the UK at the moment.

1) I have noticed that there has been lots and lots of rain at the moment, and we are a bit scared that will will get no time to spend in the sun. When it rains, is it usually for a couple of hours, or does it tend to last for the majority of the day?

2) Has anybody been to the hotel we are going too? If so, is there anywhere under cover where we can sit and have a drink if it does start to rain, as we don't really want to be sat in our room.

3) We have been looking on the internet for a reliable weather forecast, and we have found that every one seems to be different. CNN could show it as being sunny, where as another site could say it is raining. Is there a web site that anybody has found to be fairly reliable? The only site I trust seems to be the daily news on here, but it would be nice to have a reasonably reliable forecast.

Thats about it, I just wanted to say that this is a great site, and many thanks to the people who put all the effort into the site!
it's been raining here in the north for 4 days, so the ods are that it won't be raining when you get here.
most hotels a1 have lots of shelter from the sun or rain.
try www.noaa.com

perrdl

Jan 20, 2005
Thanks for the replys, the webcam in particular is very good!!!

I'm really looking forward to it, just over a week now!!!!!!

john cast

Oct 3, 2004
rain

perrdl said:

just got back yesterday rained all but two day,s all day long but not cold