Tourist Card fraud at Puerto Plata Airport

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
I was flying out of puerto plata airport and lost my tourist card. I went to the security check point and asked one of the cesa security guards where i can buy tourist card. He said here, and reached in his pocket and gave me a tourist card for the full value. When I went to the Immigration booth, they told me where did you get this. I said I bough it at security check point. they told me this tourist card was prohibited and was a fake. Apperantly the man had a color photo copier and copied the cards him self. thank God I spoke spanish, I told him who sold it to me and pointed him out. They told me I was free to go. I wanted to ask everyone has anyone faced similar poblem at POP airport or any other fraudulent scam. Thanks

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Nah, just a fine...

stallion said:
I was flying out of puerto plata airport and lost my tourist card. I went to the security check point and asked one of the cesa security guards where i can buy tourist card. He said here, and reached in his pocket and gave me a tourist card for the full value. When I went to the Immigration booth, they told me where did you get this. I said I bough it at security check point. they told me this tourist card was prohibited and was a fake. Apperantly the man had a color photo copier and copied the cards him self. thank God I spoke spanish, I told him who sold it to me and pointed him out. They told me I was free to go. I wanted to ask everyone has anyone faced similar poblem at POP airport or any other fraudulent scam. Thanks

I didn't loose my card when I left recently, but got stuck payinng $150 pesos for over staying. What a rip.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
stallion said:

They wanted their cut of it.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
leromero said:
I didn't loose my card when I left recently, but got stuck payinng $150 pesos for over staying. What a rip.

$150 RD is a ripoff????? LMAO!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try that

In Barbados or some other country. More like US$150!! They don't play.

HB :D:D

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly said:
In Barbados or some other country. More like US$150!! They don't play.

HB :D:D

I have to agree that the DR's fines for overstaying visas are extremely lenient, to the point that there doesn't appear to be much incentive to seek residency for a retiree who is not planning to work there.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
I have to agree that the DR's fines for overstaying visas are extremely lenient, to the point that there doesn't appear to be much incentive to seek residency for a retiree who is not planning to work there.

That is a good point. You can overstay and just pay a small fine. What is the maximum time you can over stay?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
where to purchase tourist cards?

I will be fling to DR feb 7. I want to know where to buy my tourist card. I will be flying from Toronto with a change over in Newark then to Santiago. I know they cost $10. Thanks.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
stallion said:
That is a good point. You can overstay and just pay a small fine. What is the maximum time you can over stay?

I'm not sure there is one. Someone posted the list of fines a while back, and it went up to "7 years or more", which if I remember correctly was RD1500!